kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 58.40M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES | 13.70M THE FALL GUY | 4.38M CHALLENGERS | TAROT

Just now, kayumanggi said:

I was just wondering about the state of box office in your country. I'm from the Philippines and the biggest movie of 2024 so far has just made $3M. A huge contrast to the 8M - 12M during pre-pandemic years.

Local movie seem doing alright but Hollywood take a big dive after Covid. Now Hollywood is no longer that of a baseline provider for cinema as local shift away their taste from Hollywood fare. 

• Like 2

Planet of the Apes 2001 wasn't very good overall but it did have great makeup and production design, a great score, and Tim Roth was actually a pretty damn scary villain. He deserved a better movie. I'd say the ending is really what brought it down the most. 

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The irony of you mentioning that tidbit against the backdrop of Universal preparing to rush a brand new Jurassic movie in barely a year is immense.

JP3 was also rushed so this isn't new. 

30 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

that’s not a bad Friday at all. It’s only 200k behind Godzilla’s Friday of 600k.

it could possibly push for a 2 million weekend? 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Speedorito said:

I was supposed to see the film today but plans changed, but it seems like the main complaints were that there was little action and was very somber and long.

If they continue with the trilogy (questionable now) they’ll make a big shift with the tone. And writer. And director.

And is this the director we really want directing a Zelda movie? No room for misses with that one, and Ball doesn’t seem like a slam dunk to me. 

Edited by Squire

https://deadline.com/2024/05/box-office-kingdom-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-1235911118/

SATURDAY AM: For those hooked on a theory last weekend that star power no longer works in opening films, their concerns are further underscored this weekend as a bunch of no-name apes are driving 20th Century Studios/Disney’s Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes to what might be the biggest B.O. opening this May of $52M-$55M. This is all fueled by PLFs and Imax screens which are delivering 44% of the weekend’s till.

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes posted a very good Friday of $22.2M, which isn’t that far from the first Friday results of Tim Burton’s 2001 version ($24.6M), and ahead of Rise of the Planet of the Apes ($19.5M) and pennies lighter than War for the Planet of the Apes ($22.1M). However, the Wes Ball directed version of the 56-year old franchise gets a B Cinemascore and 3 1/2 stars/77% on Screen Engine/Comscore’s PostTrak, so hopefully these apes don’t lose their muscle. That’s one of the lowest grades for an Apes movie in the millennium down there with Burton’s which got a B-. Rotten Tomatoes’ audience score has eased to 79%. Still, good on Disney for getting this movie opened, their first try with the franchise post 20th Century Fox. Despite the audience exits, there’s confidence at Disney for the sequel to arrive at the higher end of its projections due to its better-than-expected Friday.

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes saw 64% men turnout with 18-34 year olds repping 57% of the audience with the 25-34 year old segment being the biggest demo at close to a third. Solid diversity demos in 35% Caucasian, 27% Latino and Hispanic, 22% Black, and 9% Asian. Those moviegoers going bananas for this sequel were in the South, South Central and West. AMC Burbank is currently the highest grossing theater in the nation with $67K. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

that’s not a bad Friday at all. It’s only 200k behind Godzilla’s Friday of 600k.

it could possibly push for a 2 million weekend? 

1.9M if it follows THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE.

50 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Since we are talking about 2001 summer, looked up the running time for the movies that summer and they are

Mummy Returns - 126min

Planet of the Apes - 119min

Rush Hour 2 - 90min

Jurassic Park 3 - 92min

The Fast and The Furious - 102min

Pearl Harbor - 182min

Maybe we do need movies to start losing some bloat again.

The mean those movies stink, but I do agree we need to cut the fat. I marathoned the Fast and Furious, Indiana Jones, and Mission: Impossible movies last year. And while not all of them are perfect, the earlier ones felt pretty breezy and well-paced at 130 minutes or less. With stuff like Dial of Destiny and Fast X, you can really feel how padded out they are. How you could cut out one or two set pieces here and there and not change a thing. I’m not sure why every blockbuster is 2.5 hours nowadays, but we might need to really determine if we are really getting our bang for our buck here with these runtimes.

Posted (edited)

That audience reaction  is just head scratching to me. Like who are they polling? I can understand people feeling it is a little slow but there is always something happening and it does not feel any slower than War did and that got a A-. Is this just a post Covid thing where people are just so unforgiving now? Today and Tomorrow will really tell the tale and next week's hold with no big tent poles opening to take away it's PLF's. 

Edited by emoviefan

So it is clear people just want some dumb fun movie like GxK or G: FE. The biggest complaints so far I heard about Apes, is too little action, not too surprised after learning its budget., 

6 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

1.9M if it follows THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE.

if it follows Home (2015), it’ll be at 1.75m

if it follows The Croods… it’s in trouble. That film dropped 60 percent on Memorial Day Weekend 2013. 
it needs a 20% drop for 2 million

The posttrak data aligns with the verified audience score and B cinemascore.  Deadline also says 43% of people who bought tickets because they love the franchise.  People giving poor scores are not just casuals but fans of the series as well. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

So it is clear people just want some dumb fun movie like GxK or G: FE. The biggest complaints so far I heard about Apes, is too little action, not too surprised after learning its budget., 

The too little action complain is just weird. There is about as much action in this as there was in Dune Part 2 and that movie is 20 minutes longer. Dune 2 is the better movie yes but still.

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

The too little action complain is just weird. There is about as much action in this as there was in Dune Part 2 and that movie is 20 minutes longer. Dune 2 is the better movie yes but still.

It's about marketing. Dune 2 wasn't marketed to be a big action blockbuster, they conveyed the tone accurately in the trailer and marketing. I haven't seen Apes yet, from what I gather though it seems like the trailer promised a more action packed movie like a typical summer blockbuster than the actual movie has ended up being. War had the same issue, and it was also relentlessly bleak as well.

2 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

The posttrak data aligns with the verified audience score and B cinemascore.  Deadline also says 43% of people who bought tickets because they love the franchise.  People giving poor scores are not just casuals but fans of the series as well. 

I honestly do not know what movie they saw then. It is a Planet of The Apes movie.Is it as elegant as what Reeves did? No but we are not talking some massive drop in quality or something to warrant this reaction.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's about marketing. Dune 2 wasn't marketed to be a big action blockbuster

...you sure about that? Pretty sure they got every explosion in the film into the trailer...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Speedorito said:

It’s weird reception isn’t stellar but walkups have still been good and it’s currently on track to meet industry projections. At least with The Fall Guy sort of being DOA, this is the only adult-leaning blockbuster until Twisters (outside of Furiosa).

I really do not think Twisters will perform at all like a blockbuster