kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 58.40M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES | 13.70M THE FALL GUY | 4.38M CHALLENGERS | TAROT

Posted (edited)

APES also big Mike Duncan RIP in his first role since he blew up after GREEN MILE. He choose that role over Dorrie Miller in Pearl Harbor. 

Edited by excel1

4 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I saw the movie and the movie is quite good.  I am surprised and confused other receive it more negatively. 

Are you from Indonesia?

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Since we are talking about 2001 summer, looked up the running time for the movies that summer and they are

Mummy Returns - 126min

Planet of the Apes - 119min

Rush Hour 2 - 90min

Jurassic Park 3 - 92min

The Fast and The Furious - 102min

Pearl Harbor - 182min

Maybe we do need movies to start losing some bloat again.

Isn’t nearly all of these movies really awful? 

All the biggest movies on box office all time runs near 3 hours. Movies should run as long as they need, sometimes they’re bad but this is normal since the beginning of cinema.

I do think 20-30 minutes of ads are making the theatrical experience exhausting, but if anything have to be cut, it’s the ads, hardly the movies. History teaches that cutting long movies exclusively due to commercial prospects usually leads to inferior cuts.

10 minutes ago, AJG said:

It’s one of those humble-brag posts.

The internet has allowed socially inept imbeciles to believe watching movies makes them interesting or is some kind of personality. She’s basically boasting that whilst she has the incredibly hard-earned skill of watching a movie all the way through, others do not because of the evils of TikTok and instant gratification. 

Yeah. I see people get up and return often for a lot of movies. Sometimes ya just gotta go pee, man. Haha.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

well I mean, most of these movies are quite bad. 

Shrek was the best film of the summer of 100% deserved beating out all of its high profile competitors. 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

The score and the look is all him. Set design, costuming, makeup, score is all great. I still think it's maybe the best looking Apes movie.

i'll give you 1/4 the make up is really next level in that film. reading that the production was rushed makes sense to me I don't see Burton there at all. the ape city set is kind of pathetic it's like a theme park area.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Isn’t nearly all of these movies really awful? 

All the biggest movies on box office all time runs near 3 hours. Movies should run as long as they need, sometimes they’re bad but this is normal since the beginning of cinema.

I do think 20-30 minutes of ads are making the theatrical experience exhausting, but if anything have to be cut, it’s the ads, hardly the movies. History teaches that cutting long movies exclusively due to commercial prospects usually leads to inferior cuts.

To be fair, the worst one listed is the longest one. List is arbitrary though.

• Like 1

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

To be fair, the worst one listed is the longest one. List is arbitrary though.

Pearl Harbor is a better movie than Planet of the Apes. Harbor's attack scene and production values are terrific, and Affleck-Hartnett bromance works enough to make most girls cry at the end. POTA is just awful, no redeeming quality to think of, and had even worse legs and WOM than Pearl Harbor. 

I will say Planet of the Apes '01 came out back when the studios at least had a tiny bit of shame. Universally reviled but it was a hit. Nowadays every franchise can keep going until they produce one of the most embarrassing bombs of all time. If it's not losing $100 million it's still viable.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Borobudur said:

Yes, but why?

I was just wondering about the state of box office in your country. I'm from the Philippines and the biggest movie of 2024 so far has just made $3M. A huge contrast to the 8M - 12M during pre-pandemic years.

• Sad 1

Something that might benefit Kingdom despite the meh audience scores is that with the exception of The Watchers, all of the major releases of the next six are rated either PG (IF, Garfield, Young Woman/Sea, Inside Out 2) or R (Watchers, Furiosa, Bad Boys 4, Bikeriders). That seemed to benefit GxK over the last few weeks, it could help Kingdom hold onto some theaters even if it has rough drops the next couple weekends (it might even help Fall Guy too).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Pearl Harbor is a better movie than Planet of the Apes. Harbor's attack scene and production values are terrific, and Affleck-Hartnett bromance works enough to make most girls cry at the end. POTA is just awful, no redeeming quality to think of, and had even worse legs and WOM than Pearl Harbor. 

The ape actors/makeup are great! As are the production values.

That ending really was a disaster though. And the humans really brought it down. One viewing of the movie definitely makes it obvious why Warren's career didn't go anywhere afterwards.

Really worried about the reaction Furiosa is gonna get in two weeks after this Ape reaction and CS. If this  is divisive  can not imagine how that might go over with the GA. The early social reactions have said it does not play like Fury Road in that it is not a 2 hour chase movie it tells a epic story over a long period of time. An the action sequences are much more spread out. If people felt Apes was slow and not enough action just because it was spread out over a long run time than yeah....

• Thanks 1