BadOlCatSylvester

Weekend Thread (5/17-19/2024) | WEEKEND ESTIMATES: $35M for IF, $12M for Strangers, $2.85M for Back to Black, $26M for Apes

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Oh I hear the former stuff allll the time sadly, especially from old high school friends. The King Charles painting has been shared by multiples of people I know about the satanic pedophile influence in the world media. I think that about 40% of America or more now believes that all institutions, including Hollywood, are run by satanic pedophiles. I genuinely believe that Alex Jones belief has gone from fringe to as large as any political party or ideology. It's completely crazy and I think we are losing control of our society. I wish I did not see these things or believe them but even among my mostly liberal friendgroups, outside the ultra professional class, all I hear is conspiratorial bullshit and crazy theories.

Oh there are definitely crazy people (too many), I just don’t think that’s why original films don’t make as much they used to while blockbusters can as long they’re decent enough.

7 minutes ago, AJG said:

I agree.

Price isn’t a factor for me, the actual effort needed to go and travel to the cinema and then the time eaten out of my day watching the movie is a big turn off me. I did not have this issue pre-pandemic. Why spend the effort going out to the cinema when I can watch it at home in 3 weeks? Also if I do go out with friends/family I’d rather be talking than watching a giant TV.

Yeah people really underestimate how much the pandemic and streaming affected things. It’s harder to ask people to go to the movies on a regular basis when you’re also asking them to pay to watch their favorite shows on multiple streaming services that those films will eventually end up on. Especially if you have kids.

Edited by Speedorito
  • Like 1

We're really going to listen to a bunch of blue checks over a movie that still opened to relatively fine numbers? Sure. Okay. Yeah.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, IF might not make back its budget, but all that really means is Krasinski will have to be kept on a little shorter leash for whatever other original conception he might have. Not gonna be enough of a flop that all wouldn't still be forgiven with a decently successful AQP3.

9 minutes ago, Eric the IF said:

We're really going to listen to a bunch of blue checks over a movie that still opened to relatively fine numbers? Sure. Okay. Yeah.

Most of this country has blue check mentality now tbh. Sad to say it.

On 5/17/2024 at 8:34 PM, ChipDerby said:

Just to head it off but there are two NBA Game 7s on Sunday so adjust expectations 

Wow everything was overestimated you don't say

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2024 at 9:55 AM, babz06 said:

This is honestly just crazy to me that couldn’t throw one of those previously steaming movies on those dates. For example, why did Beverly Hills Cop 4 (releasing July 3) go to Netflix?  Eddie Murphy is a big star. 

Murphy Was a big star but he is not a box office draw outside some Nostaliga based films like Beverry Hills cop 4. and has not been for some time.Name recognition and being a big star are two different things.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Speedorito said:

Oh there are definitely crazy people (too many), I just don’t think that’s why original films don’t make as much they used to while blockbusters can as long they’re decent enough.

Yeah people really underestimate how much the pandemic and streaming affected things. It’s harder to ask people to go to the movies on a regular basis when you’re also asking them to pay to watch their favorite shows on multiple streaming services that those films will eventually end up on. Especially if you have kids.

I am convinced if the Pandemic has never happened, we would still be seeing a decline in movie attendance due to streaming. It was inevitable. All the Pandemic did was greaty speed up the process. it otherwise would have been more gradual.

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

People have complained about things being too expensive since the dawn of time, it's not all that illuminating a complaint in itself. The live entertainment industry is very much alive and far more expensive than movies are. It's all about how much people actually value what the cinema experience is these days. 

Clearly, based on Deadpool presales, they're still willing to show up for the right familiar IP. 

A live concert is not comparable to a movie theater experience though be real. People just find it too expensive to justify going to a mid movie.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

This could be avoided if Hollywood wasn't filled with nonces. 

I mean Sharon Stone and Liam Neeson coming out and saying Kevin Spacey should be welcomed back  is probably not helping the perception.

4 hours ago, Eric the IF said:

Yeah a mid by all accounts movie like IF opens above 30 million  is not an example of the WOES of theatrical moviegoing. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I mean Sharon Stone and Liam Neeson coming out and saying Kevin Spacey should be welcomed back  is probably not helping the perception.

Tbh when you’re white enough and famous enough, you can get away with almost anything. I say this regardless of industry. Roman Polanski will never see the inside of a jail cell and neither would Woody Allen. I mean there’s a reason why Majors’ career is dead but Pitt will likely never have to face up to consequences unless he does something more dire. Or how Depp’s team were successfully able to paint the image of “mutual abuse” and in less than three years, the GA will forgive him whenever Disney does Pirates 6. 

Edited by YM!