budice

Weekdays Thread (5/20-24)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I'm extremely fascinated by IF. I haven't seen the film yet, but based on how polarizing the film is, I really want to.

Also, I keep seeing people use the underperformance of the film as proof no one really likes it, but isn't it also the second highest original opening since the pandemic?

I'm genuinely confused why both IF and The Fall Guy are part of some weird culture war on films.

Outside of the internet there’s no real culture war. Most people don’t really care about films that much. But the point is that all the people on Film Twitter and other people with similar mentalities said there was some great shift coming in the types of films the audience wants. A critically acclaimed non-superhero action film starring two A-listers? Big hit! Instead it won’t make much more than Madame Web while costing roughly twice as much. A kids film from the director of A Quiet Place starring Ryan Reynolds? Big hit! Instead it’s struggling domestically and even worse overseas and won’t come close to matching the grosses of stuff like Wish and Migration.

It’s also that statements like “second highest original opening since the pandemic” are just…not impressive. I’m a big of Elemental and I’ve talked about how it’s the highest grossing original film since the pandemic, but even I can acknowledge that 496M is a lower-mid gross for Pixar and far less than stuff like Secret Life of Pets and Finding Nemo could make before the pandemic.

People are just waking up to the reality of the industry (at a glacial pace, but still). They claim they know what people want, but they clearly don’t. Expect meltdowns with Furiosa in the coming weeks as well.

Edited by Speedorito
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I'm extremely fascinated by IF. I haven't seen the film yet, but based on how polarizing the film is, I really want to.

Also, I keep seeing people use the underperformance of the film as proof no one really likes it, but isn't it also the second highest original opening since the pandemic?

I'm genuinely confused why both IF and The Fall Guy are part of some weird culture war on films.

I watched a bit of The Big Picture’s review of IF and found it fascinating that they couldn’t put the movie in a box to almost validate it as a successful effort. I think that’s the line a lot of critics have taken, but it’s clearly a pretty personal tale from Krasinski.  For every person that can’t relate to the emotion it’s going for there will be someone who is grateful that it taps in to some difficult material - and very deftly in my opinion.  

I’m glad general audiences have given it a chance and seem to be enjoying it.  It plays much older than you’d think looking at the poster. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Outside of the internet there’s no real culture war. Most people don’t really about films that much. But the point is that all the people on Film Twitter and other people with similar mentalities said there was some great shift coming in the types of films the audience wants. A critically acclaimed non-superhero action film starring two A-listers? Big hit! Instead it won’t make much more than Madame Web while costing roughly twice as much. A kids film from the director of A Quiet Place starring Ryan Reynolds? Big hit! Instead it’s struggling domestically and even worse overseas and won’t come close to matching the grosses of stuff like Wish and Migration.

It’s also that statements like “second highest original opening since the pandemic” are just…not impressive. I’m a big of Elemental and I’ve talked about how it’s the highest grossing original film since the pandemic, but even I can acknowledge that 496M is a lower-mid gross for Pixar and far less than stuff like Secret Life of Pets and Finding Nemo could make before the pandemic.

People are just waking up to the reality of the industry (at a glacial pace, but still). They claim they know what people want, but they clearly don’t. Expect meltdowns with Furiosa in the coming weeks as well.

if Furiosa can come close to what Fury Road did then that’s a win. I see nothing to make me feel that it won’t be able to achieve this. 

Elemental did incredibly well. Remember it was in a new landscape where Disney had released so many major animated movies straight to Disney Plus for a couple of years. That was always going to delay things going back to some sort of normalcy for them, box office wise. 

Edited by wildphantom

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

if Furiosa can come close to what Fury Road did then that’s a win. I see nothing to make me feel that it won’t be able to achieve this. 

Elemental did incredibly well. Remember it was in a new landscape where Disney had released so many major animated movies straight to Disney Plus for a couple of years. That was always going to delay things going back to some sort of normalcy for them, box office wise. 

Furiosa is projected to debut between 80-85M globally. I’m willing to believe that’s a Deadline lowball but I’d be shocked if it can match Fury Road.

As for Elemental, the issue is that no other original animated films from any studio come close. Illumination’s Migration is 2nd with 297M and WDAS’s Encanto (released during the weird “pandemic is over but now it’s sort of back maybe?” period) is 3rd with 257M. Stuff like Sony’s Spider-Verse can make 700M and Illumination’s The Super Mario Bros Movie can make almost 1.4B. That’s a huge gap that can’t really be blamed on difference in quality or reception.

54 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

It isn't impressive. At all. But it's the new normal. People are quick to throw IF under the bus without going the extra step and realizing if this is what's considered a success for original filmmaking, theaters have bigger problems.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Furiosa is projected to debut between 80-85M globally. I’m willing to believe that’s a Deadline lowball but I’d be shocked if it can match Fury Road.

I'm sorry to those who don't live in the United States, but I just don't care about any totals besides domestic. How well Garfield plays in Germany or Furiosa in Mexico doesn't alter how much shittier my local theater gets because they can't afford to replace broken lounge chairs or fix small rips in the projection screen or have a proper amount of staff. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 2

9 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

It isn't impressive. At all. But it's the new normal. People are quick to throw IF under the bus without going the extra step and realizing if this is what's considered a success for original filmmaking, theaters have bigger problems.

Well the bigger problem is that it likely won’t have great legs to save it. It’s already being projected to drop 50% (give or take) this weekend. But yes, original movies making a fraction of what they used to is bad for so many reasons.

I probably sound like a constant doomer (at least to those who even remember my comments) but it’s been frustrating to see people online who see two movies a year in theaters or only see films that make 8M worldwide (saying this as someone with a Challengers profile pic btw) and obsessively hate anything else cheering on the failures of the various types of films that have been keeping the industry alive. I’m just so shocked that after such a long period of time those people are finally realizing what’s happening to the industry because of…The Fall Guy and IF bombing.

(rant over)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I probably sound like a constant doomer (at least to those who even remember my comments) but it’s been frustrating to see people online who see two movies a year in theaters or only see films that make 8M worldwide (saying this as someone with a Challengers profile pic btw) and obsessively hate anything else cheering on the failures of the various types of films that have been keeping the industry alive. I’m just so shocked that after such a long period of time those people are finally realizing what’s happening to the industry because of…The Fall Guy and IF bombing.

I'll never understand cheering for any movie to do bad. Sure, I can see why there's some surface-level catharsis when a DC film fails or a Disney live-action remake crumbles, but that's always followed by the realization that folks won't just suddenly decide to make Civil War a $50 million opening weekend hit. And I use that film as an example because it did great for the budget/studio, but those types of films/openings aren't going to help movie theaters en masse.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I must be on the wrong part of the Internet. In what universe are IF and Fall Guy part of some culture war?

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

I must be on the wrong part of the Internet. In what universe are IF and Fall Guy part of some culture war?

I'm glad we are. Would NOT wanna be in that part.

Edited by Claire of Themyscira

6 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Theater culture. Not, like, political culture war. There's more than one type of culture.

You mean in a war between people who go to the theaters vs those or do not. Okay....

4 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I'm sorry to those who don't live in the United States, but I just don't care about any totals besides domestic. How well Garfield plays in Germany or Furiosa in Mexico doesn't alter how much shittier my local theater gets because they can't afford to replace broken lounge chairs or fix small rips in the projection screen or have a proper amount of staff. 

Common American L.

3 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Theater culture. Not, like, political culture war. There's more than one type of culture.

There's a theater culture war going on? Why wasn't I told?