kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

I mean what if theaters did what people always say and what Rothman was championing, and just slashed ticket prices? Like to Discount Tuesday levels. Will these people suddenly leave their homes in droves every weekend? Or will they just do what they do every weekend which is rot in their beds while scrolling TikTok so that they can space out for hours for free?

6 minutes ago, Kon said:

They can't afford to go to theaters except when they can.

I'm pretty sure they will afford to go to theater when Deadpool 3 is released.

I said people can’t afford to go to theaters regularly, not that they can never afford it. 

9 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah that's what makes it a cult. The GA does not care that much and Hemsworth has proven time and time again he can not open an envelope and Anna is not really an opener type star. 

Furiosa still should’ve performed better given these circumstances.

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yep and it was not a thing on Barbenheimer weekend, Mario weekend, Way Of Water weekend, Maverick, or No Way Home or various other post covid weekends. People found the money those times. If they want to see it they will go. 

So we should ignore the general trend due to outliers?

Year 2021 - World in dire straits due to Pandemic, Box office was saved by Godzilla & Kong movie and few months later a CBM filled with nostalgia and crossover came and ripped apart box office.

Year 2024 - Hollywood coming after strikes and things are looking bleak, Box Office was given help by a movie's of Godzilla & Kong, and there's a CBM filled with nostalgia and crossover character about to release.

The script is there. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PillowCase said:

I think Gladiator 2 has the potential to be another Oppenheimer/Joker (just crushing it in Europe) if it's as good as some say, but Joker 2 opens a month before and that's going to satisfy the same audience and then some with Gaga 

What does a movie staring Lady Gaga have to do with Gladiator?They are completely different movies and even then it' more like a month and a half apart.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I said people can’t afford to go to theaters regularly, not that they can never afford it. 

They can afford it as much as they ever could because it costs the same it always has

25 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

So we should ignore the general trend due to outliers?

We should not attribute a change in one variable (theater admissions) to an unchanged 2nd variable (real ticket prices)

Edited by Legion Again

4 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I mean what if theaters did what people always say and what Rothman was championing, and just slashed ticket prices? Like to Discount Tuesday levels. Will these people suddenly leave their homes in droves every weekend? Or will they just do what they do every weekend which is rot in their beds while scrolling TikTok so that they can space out for hours for free?

People won’t return in droves but it’s clear price is keeping people away to some degree. 

Just now, Legion Again said:

They can afford it as much as they ever costs because it costs the same it always has

We should not attribute a change in one variable (theater admissions) to an unchanged 2nd variable (real ticket prices)

Clearly they can’t when rent, gas and food prices have outpaced wages and the working class has been bearing the brunt of recession after recession. Most Americans cannot afford a $1k emergency.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

People won’t return in droves but it’s clear price is keeping people away to some degree. 

The issue is that the amount of people that would "return" would not be enough to offset the reduction in prices. I would even bet 50%, if not more, of the people that actively complain about ticket prices being too high would not suddenly start a consistent movie-going habit.

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

The issue is that the amount of people that would "return" would not be enough to offset the reduction in prices. I would even bet 50%, if not more, of the people that actively complain about ticket prices being too high would not suddenly start a consistent movie-going habit.

I’m not saying it would help theatrical, but we need to look at these box office flops from a materialist perspective rather than just saying the marketing is to blame or acting like a few exceptions means people can afford to see a movie every weekend or find it worthwhile at the current prices. 

Posted (edited)

We really just need to get to the June 14th/Fathers day weekend when IO 2 opens and BB ROD has a good second week hold as counterprgraming so we can take at least a one week break from this conversation and then when Bikeriders bombs the following week we  can go back to it.

Edited by emoviefan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

What does a movie staring Lady Gaga have to do with Gladiator?They are completely different movies and even then it' more like a month and a half apart.

Joker was huge in Europe and appeals to the same artsy Hollywood audience Gladiator will , Gaga being in the movie will just increase it's appeal 

4 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Well, we've seen from the once a year movie day price cuts that people will show up en masse with $5 tickets across the board. The problem is that studios don't want ticket prices to be that low because it'd probably reduce their overall revenues (even if numbers made up for prices to make studio box office receipts similar, it'd probably reduce pvod/streaming numbers). Movie theatres would do incredible business of course, because they don't need to make money off tickets, their concession numbers would go through the roof.

But to get prices that low, theatres would probably have to share concession revenues with studios so that everyone's incentives were aligned for cheap tickets and longer windows - which would also make movie theatre subscription deals more viable. But I don't think theatres are ready to go there yet to do this.

2 minutes ago, PillowCase said:

Joker was huge in Europe and appeals to the same artsy Hollywood audience Gladiator will , Gaga being in the movie will just increase it's appeal 

Okay but I still think they are different enough movies so that the first one will not hurt the other when it's 7 weeks apart. 

2 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I’m not saying it would help theatrical, but we need to look at these box office flops from a materialist perspective rather than just saying the marketing is to blame or acting like a few exceptions means people can afford to see a movie every weekend or find it worthwhile at the current prices. 

Kind of hard to take this seriously when you use "materialist" in this way. Kind of surprised you didn't add dialectical at the beginning there.

Like I said before, this idea that people are struggling to buy groceries and pay rent and all that stuff, has been a thing forever. Even when the U.S economy experienced consistent growth from 2010-2020 people said the same thing over and over again. Of course there are people that suffer, but this idea that most of everybody is barely scraping by and has zero disposable income is just not true.

Pinpointing it to that all the time ignores the overall change in consumer culture in regards to movies.

• Like 2

I don't know why so many folks want to ignore patterns. Even films overperforming this year seen to be doing so in comparison to these new patterns.

Also, there's an overabundance in other entertainment options compared to 10, 20, 30 years ago. Video games, television shows, YouTubers, TikTok/Instagram/Social Media, etc. 

• Like 1

Furiosa was never going to do that well. It has nothing to do with theater habits. Fury Road was well liked by audiences but I don’t think they gushed over and Furiosa was not a character anyone thought about for the last 9 years. Making a 9 year later prequel in terms of a business decision (not quality) was a bad call. Simple as that 

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Kind of hard to take this seriously when you use "materialist" in this way. Kind of surprised you didn't add dialectical at the beginning there.

Like I said before, this idea that people are struggling to buy groceries and pay rent and all that stuff, has been a thing forever. Even when the U.S economy experienced consistent growth from 2010-2020 people said the same thing over and over again. Of course there are people that suffer, but this idea that most of everybody is barely scraping by and has zero disposable income is just not true.

Pinpointing it to that all the time ignores the overall change in consumer culture in regards to movies.

Yep people seem to be able to afford Concert tickets and season tickets for their favorite sports teams. It pains me to say this as a massive movie buff but most people are not and unless they really want to see something they do not spend the money on it.

• Like 1

Just now, emoviefan said:

Yep people seem to be able to afford Concert tickets and season tickets for their favorite sports teams. It pains me to say this as a massive movie buff but most people are not and unless they really want to see something they do not spend the money on it.

Most people only go to concerts every so often, and seeing an artist live is not comparable to seeing a movie projected on a screen. People don’t find the cost of theatrical worth it when movies will end up on streaming soon anyway. Live events will always have a novelty to them. This doesn’t change the facts on the ground that a huge number of people are struggling financially. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ryan Reynolds said:

did all the dollar theaters close cause of pandemic , cause that is how all us poor kids saw movies back in the day

They became a casualty of streaming and shortened windows. 

• Like 2