kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers [05.28 - 05.30, 2024] | Thursday | 1.85M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 1.73M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA

1 minute ago, Kon said:

I remember people used the same argument for The Marvels.

Don't see how that's relevant. I think Furiosa will at least have a 2x multi haha.

29 million weekend

200m budget

I wouldn't really  blame media for calling it a flop opening weekend .

It legged out but once again it was the  exception. Alot of movies would have bombed away in the same position even with some good WOM.

Light year opened higher and bombed spectacularly. 

Would cut the media some slack this instance.

Posted (edited)

That’s actually really good for Apes. While that 1.25m number isn’t the highest for an Apes movie, it is one of the best holds for an Apes movie of the franchise. I can see 165m+ 

another thing is that it’s following closely with Kung Fu Panda 2. Like, extremely close.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons/Kingdom-of-the-Planet-of-the-Apes-(2024)/Kung-Fu-Panda-2#tab=day_by_day_comparison

Edited by AnthonyJPHer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alexander said:

I swear 95% of people who tweet about movies... Know absolutely nothing. It's just pure stupidity at this point.

People who only dip into following box office when it's a movie they are cheering on, so they see neutral/negative reporting of disappointing figures as an unfair and mean-spirited attack. Admittedly, sometimes it is, but those who follow the numbers week in and week out know that's just showbiz and the trades doing their usual thing.

So you have situations like that Furiosa defender trying to hold up its #1 opening as something that mitigates/erases the actual numbers being underwhelming, when that's not how it works. it's copium, but the flavors are different depending on how closely one follows the biz. The person hoping that maybe Furiosa will be another Elemental is at least aware of the latter's full box office run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

29 million weekend

200m budget

I wouldn't really  blame media for calling it a flop opening weekend .

It legged out but once again it was the  exception. Alot of movies would have bombed away in the same position even with some good WOM.

Light year opened higher and bombed spectacularly. 

Would cut the media some slack this instance.

What's funny is there were a lot of articles like this in December 1997:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1997/12/22/a-seaworthy-opening-for-titanic/2da919e4-9495-4163-8cba-5cd8db47e5da/

Completely being normal about a $27 mil OW for Titanic.

I really like Furiosa but thinking its going to be some leggly movie just isnt happening.  Why Titanic or Elemental are used as examples of calling a movie a bomb to early is because they are the outliers.  This ignores all the movies that opened poor and finished with a low final gross.

• Like 3