kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | May 31-Jun 02, 2024 | actuals | 14.01M GARFIELD | 10.78M FURIOSA | 10.51M IF | 8.97M APES

8 minutes ago, Eric Lasagna said:

No offense, but I think you really need a break from this place if this is really hurting your mental health this badly. Your happiness being this reliant on box office numbers wouldn't even be good if the business was booming, and, like I always tell people, it's not like you can't just talk about movies elsewhere on other movie forums that aren't as focused on box office numbers. It makes no sense to hang out around a place you hate.

It's not affecting my larger mental health, but I don't really get how much joy it can bring any of us when the numbers are this bad. We all deserve good numbers or else this entire premise of this great place is bleak. That's my point.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's not affecting my larger mental health, but I don't really get how much joy it can bring any of us when the numbers are this bad. We all deserve good numbers or else this entire premise of this great place is bleak. That's my point.

Well, I guess we'll have to move on, accept that the box office is dead forever, and perhaps just pretend to ourselves that Bad Boys opening in the 40s is good actually. I'm sure TV ratings forums, music sales forums, etc. have long accepted the old ways are dead and are never coming back and have found ways to cope with how low things are. And I suggest, at some point, you're gonna have to do the same. Whether you want to or not.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I still love following and predicting the numbers. It's honestly the people that are driving me nuts.

• Like 5

Just now, ChipDerby said:

Box office is dead forever, lmao. lord

CINEMA. 1895-2024”

What went wrong?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, HowSway said:

Music sales are actually booming and vinyls are making comeback. Things are good on that side of the entertainment world

It had nice rebounds if we include rental (like including Netflix in a box office discussion) and non-adjusted for inflation, actual sales too are really far from back in the days, same for revenues inflation adjusted

IFPI-2024-Main.jpg

are around 6 billions in 2023 versus 22 billion in 1999 (41 billions or so in today dollars), a 85% drop.

45 minutes ago, Eric Lasagna said:

accepted the old ways are dead and are never coming back

That hard to predict, TV could have killed it completely and looked like it would, it crushed it by 85-90% but it got mostly stable since, we can imagine people making up excuse to got out and be in crowd and the movie theater could continue to be one of the cheapest, easiest way to do it

27 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Bad Boys 4 is NOT doing under 50M. Where did that come from?

That is the number Shawn predicted today based on tracking and presales data he has access too, though that is the median of the range - there is higher possibilities included in his predictions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric Lasagna said:

Well, I guess we'll have to move on, accept that the box office is dead forever, and perhaps just pretend to ourselves that Bad Boys opening in the 40s is good actually. I'm sure TV ratings forums, music sales forums, etc. have long accepted the old ways are dead and are never coming back and have found ways to cope with how low things are. And I suggest, at some point, you're gonna have to do the same. Whether you want to or not.

I agree with this unironically and have said as much about other industries! Still depressing though.

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

That is the number Shawn predicted today based on tracking and presales data he has access too, though that is the median of the range - there is higher possibilities included in his predictions.

Oh. I'm not worried about BB4. BB3 was similarly tracking low and surprised everybody.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Maggie said:

Oh. I'm not worried about BB4. BB3 was similarly tracking low and surprised everybody.

I think he is using Bad Boys 3 as a baseline - I don't think he's making that prediction in a vacuum. Keyser's talking about the slow pace too. At this point, the predictions in the 50s are ASSUMING that it has this late surge, which seems likely but isn't a guarantee

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

All I care about are KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, IF, and THE FALL GUY's great holds.

To be frank, they hold this well mostly due to how light the market is, and the good holds at this their number isn't very useful in term of absolute number of the BO.

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Surprised its going over Spy x Family, genuinely thought that was bigger in the west

It is bigger, but one is filler and the other isn't. Haikyu fans are hella passionate though so I'm not convinced it'll even win, expecting real bad IM and multiplier.

27 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It had nice rebounds if we include rental (like including Netflix in a box office discussion) and non-adjusted for inflation, actual sales too are really far from back in the days, same for revenues inflation adjusted

IFPI-2024-Main.jpg

are around 6 billions in 2023 versus 22 billion in 1999 (41 billions or so in today dollars), a 85% drop.

That hard to predict, TV could have killed it completely and looked like it would, it crushed it by 85-90% but it got mostly stable since, we can imagine people making up excuse to got out and be in crowd and the movie theater could continue to be one of the cheapest, easiest way to do it

As someone that does not follow the music industry whatsoever, this was very informative thank you. Anyone got anything similar for video games, since I've heard the console market isn't doing well.

Maybe entertainment is just dead.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think the excuses we've made over the last few months on why various movies have flopped are somehow legit, but Bad Boys 4 has no excuse to make under 50M. If it does, then we can close shop. It's Will Smith in summer mode. That used to mean something!

Edited by Maggie

5 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

As someone that does not follow the music industry whatsoever, this was very informative thank you. Anyone got anything similar for video games, since I've heard the console market isn't doing well.

Maybe entertainment is just dead.

That's what I'm always on about. It's not just the box office at all. Our entire cultural sphere seems fundamentally broken by technology and siloing. That's why the biggest music stars are still like the people when I was in fucking high school (I'm almost 31 now). Drake, Beyonce, Taylor Swift, etc. Society has lost most of its ability to get people excited about the same crossover things anymore. We are being buried under "choice."

• Like 6

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

That's why the biggest music stars are still like the people when I was in fucking high school

I mean there's artists like Billie Eillish and Olivia Rodrigo who are still in their early 20s, so I wouldn't go that far.

Thrilling Summer weekend incoming. Will the number 1 movie do 12.5M? This is box office now. 

• Sad 1