kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | May 31-Jun 02, 2024 | actuals | 14.01M GARFIELD | 10.78M FURIOSA | 10.51M IF | 8.97M APES

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Well, it seems Garfield has decided to get the first position this weekend.

Honestly, it isn't really weird that Garfield has better legs than Furiosa.

Furiousa not beating CW’s 2nd Friday isn’t really a good sign. The other upside is the MLK Monday boost and some summer mid-week boost. For that, 75-80m is a finish range. 

The holdovers generally hold very well but given just how empty the market is, that great hold isn’t saying much. 

We were too harsh on Apes. With everything else bombing so hard in May, Apes did fantastic for a sequel no one wanted compared to everything else.

• Like 12

The terrible May ends up at 550m finish. All except Kingdom and IF severely miss my expectation. I had Kingdom and IF at 140-150m and 110-120m respectively and I am glad both of them made it. Fall guys I had it at 125m on the basis that TLC did 105m but it likely ends up with just 90m. Garfield and Furiosa are the biggest miss. I thought Garfield could do 180m-200m because even an original like Migration did 125m. Whereas I always peg Furiosa at 130-150m as I was thinking Hemsworth and a good quality action flick could bring it there since even BT made it to 100m.

I don't think my expectation was very unrealistic but sadly the market isn't function properly.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

We were too harsh on Apes. With everything else bombing so hard in May, Apes did fantastic for a sequel no one wanted compared to everything else.

My eldest son is 11, and likes going to the movies. 

Last year at this time, there was no shortage of films in May/June to take him to. GOTG3, Fast X, ATSV, Transformers.

This year, there's nothing for that preteen/teenage boys, there's not much. Fall Guy aims older. Two over the hill cops on a last adventure isn't quite that appealing. 

We saw POTA because it was the best option for him this period. And he hasn't seen any of the other Apes films.

It's really slim pickings for a demographic that drives a lot of theatre business.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

The terrible May ends up at 550m finish. All except Kingdom and IF severely miss my expectation. I had Kingdom and IF at 140-150m and 110-120m respectively and I am glad both of them made it. Fall guys I had it at 125m on the basis that TLC did 105m but it likely ends up with just 90m. Garfield and Furiosa are the biggest miss. I thought Garfield could do 180m-200m because even an original like Migration did 125m. Whereas I always peg Furiosa at 130-150m as I was thinking Hemsworth and a good quality action flick could bring it there since even BT made it to 100m.

I don't think my expectation was very unrealistic but sadly the market isn't function properly.

I had similar expectations for all those (except IF which I thought would top out at 90M).