Eric is Quiet

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

What a time to be awake

Β 

I I thought IO2 was solid. Somehow lean and scattershot at the same time. An 8/10 to the first film’s 9/10. Caught it at the El Capitan though, first time experiencing that piece of history.

Β 

Bonkers numbers. More impressive IMO than Incredibles 2’s opening. That one overperformed also but not to this margin.

Β 

I still think Moana 2 looks and feels essentially like the D+ retrofit that it is, but it’s going to at least open well. I also think Mufasa has breakout potential… Barry Jenkins, the potential is there.

6 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I think Joker 2 will do much better domestically than the first Joker. The hype for it is unreal on TikTok.

It's gonna be the definitive movie of Fall. The amount of couples that will be dressing up as Joker and Harley for Halloween will be obnoxious.Β 

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I actually don't think this summer has been as bleak as many claim it is. Furiosa is pretty much the only movie that's missed hopes/expectations to an embarrassing degree. Even the performances for IF and Garfield could've been worse given their lackluster reviews.

Β 

Still, yes, definitely shaping up to be a much needed HUGE weekend overall.

Β 

It's more about just how little collective sale volume there'd been compared to last year. The performances of individual movies are debatable, but this had not been the kind of "summer blockbuster" movie season the theater industry can sustain itself on. May 31 was pretty much cast aside for a potential tentpole this year when Spiderverse was what opened that weekend last year. Hopefully those bad vibes are over now for a bit though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

when a few weeks ago we were just thinking an opening of 80M is okay in the current landscape.

Gonna have to give credit to @HummingLemon496Β on this one β€” no we weren’t. That would have sucked

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Legion Again said:

Gonna have to give credit to @HummingLemon496Β on this one β€” no we weren’t. That would have sucked

Β 

This is all an academic debate now and obviously it's not as good as a $150 mil opening, but it would still have not been functionally disastrous for a studio still trying to earn back its audience. It just seems they already have.

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Β 

This is all an academic debate now and obviously it's not as good as a $150 mil opening, but it would still have not been functionally disastrous for a studio still trying to earn back its audience. It just seems they already have.

People want sequels, especially to stuff that they love. Nostalgia is also a hell of a drug.

Having an absolutely wild Saturday in South Korea which started with outrageous PS increase vs Fri and now continuing into walkup advantage even more extremeΒ 

• Like 2

Just now, Legion Again said:

Having an absolutely wild Saturday in South Korea which started with outrageous PS increase vs Fri and now continuing into walkup advantage even more extremeΒ 

Just wondering what DOM total is this movie looking like now?

Just now, HummingLemon496 said:

Just wondering what DOM total is this movie looking like now?

Well, still pretty volatile as we don’t even have a true Fri locked in yet, but I would say something like 13-50-56-49 //168 *3.5 -> 590 or so as a current guess

Sad to report I passed out 5 minutes into inside out 2 (i remember the title dropping during her hockey game and the next thing i knew the credits started), but my gf loved it and I guess i’m just happy to have supported the first genuine blockbuster of the year lol. I’ll try to catch it again on Monday; hopefully I won’t be as exhausted then hahaha

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Legion Again said:

Well, still pretty volatile as we don’t even have a true Fri locked in yet, but I would say something like 13-50-56-49 //168 *3.5 -> 590 or so as a current guess

Quick make a IO2 > TA1 DOM club

Just now, HummingLemon496 said:

u/AgentCooper315 on Reddit is saying $620M domestic total what the fuck

Β 

This is most sudden blow up of expectations we've seen since Jurassic World 2015Β πŸ˜…

I think it could go even higherΒ 

We’ve seen with movies like TGM, Barbie, and Mario that if your movie is broadly well liked enough, the legs will come through no matter how huge the OW is. With that said, with how euphoric the audience response is and how typically leggy Pixar movies areΒ 

Β 

$170-175M OW + 3.95-4.0x legs for $675-700M DOM

• Astonished 1

Just now, Relevation said:

I think it could go even higherΒ 

We’ve seen with movies like TGM, Barbie, and Mario that if your movie is broadly well liked enough, the legs will come through no matter how huge the OW is. With that said, with how euphoric the audience response is and how typically leggy Pixar movies areΒ 

Β 

$170-175M OW + 3.95-4.0x legs for $675-700M DOM

Β 

Wanna join?

I assume they were deflating projections on purpose, but is this the most wrong deadline has ever been? 85 to 170Β 

no way its not #1 in nominal terms, but I cant imagine there being another high profile release deadline underestimated by a 100%

Β