The Wild Eric

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

13 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Β 

And more than a month at that. Or maybe it's really shaping up to be an absolute monster.

they're using Quorum's prediction, not whatever tracking they usually use (which pops up 3-4 weeks out).Β 

Powell stan here (watching Hit Man tonight!), but the average person seeing Twisters won't be going to see it because of him (or Daisy Edgar-Jones or Anthony Ramos, for that matter). The CGI disaster mayhem is the draw here.

• Like 1

I think much of the target audience for Twisters doesn't live in places where you need to buy your ticket a month in advance to get in opening weekend

Β 

Not the same genre ofc, but we saw a pattern with IO2 where the tracking spiked up as we got closer. Most people just don't want to plan that far ahead for non-superhero movies.

Β 

Β 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Powell stan here (watching Hit Man tonight!), but the average person seeing Twisters won't be going to see it because of him (or Daisy Edgar-Jones or Anthony Ramos, for that matter). The CGI disaster mayhem is the draw here.

What about Independence Day 2? Weren't the aliens the main dish?

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I think much of the target audience for Twisters doesn't live in places where you need to buy your ticket a month in advance to get in opening weekend

Β 

Not the same genre ofc, but we saw a pattern with IO2 where the tracking spiked up as we got closer. Most people just don't want to plan that far ahead for non-superhero movies.

Β 

Β 

Didn’t people say the same thing about The Fall Guy? I feel a lot of films in the past year were supposed to have some sort of walkups, but they just never manifested.

Β 

IO2 is also a different beast, it’s only really comparable to something like Kung Fu Panda 4 ramping up at the last minute.

Β 

I just don’t seeΒ whereΒ the interest, let alone excitement, is for Twisters. At least not yet. Or why we should assume a bunch of flyover state people or whatever you want to call them will show up in droves at the last minute.

3 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Didn’t people say the same thing about The Fall Guy? I feel a lot of films in the past year were supposed to have some sort of walkups, but they just never manifested.

Β 

IO2 is also a different beast, it’s only really comparable to something like Kung Fu Panda 4 ramping up at the last minute.

Β 

I just don’t seeΒ whereΒ the interest, let alone excitement, is for Twisters. At least not yet. Or why we should assume a bunch of flyover state people or whatever you want to call them will show up in droves at the last minute.

Β 

You can't make any conclusions about a lack of interest a month out, even for Fall Guy. What I said is still true even if the movie does end up tanking. I know absolutely no one on this forum expected Sound of Freedom last year.Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by AniNate

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

Β 

You can't make any conclusions about a lack of interest a month out, even for Fall Guy. What I said is still true even if the movie does end up tanking.

And you can’t assume people ARE interested but are just waiting until the day before it opens to buy tickets. All I’m saying is that, right now, there nothing to suggest there’s a ton of interest or that it’ll have monstrous walkups to meet lofty predictions.

16 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

I'd like to see Mufasa lower than IO2 and Moana 2 and the live-action Moana lower than the animated films.

Β 

They don't even have to be outright flops.

The Moana live-action is a given I think. I don't think it will flop but it doesn't have THE factor (nostalgia) that made others huge hits. If it wasn't for Moana 2 I would believe in $700M but now...

Just now, Speedorito said:

And you can’t assume people ARE interested but are just waiting until the day before it opens to buy tickets. All I’m saying is that, right now, there nothing to suggest there’s a ton of interest or that it’ll have monstrous walkups to meet lofty predictions.

Β 

People are saying it's doomed just because Deadpool is tracking high. I'm pushing back on that.

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

Β 

People are saying it's doomed just because Deadpool is tracking high. I'm pushing back on that.

Well it’s notΒ justΒ Deadpool. It’s Deadpool + DM4 + currently unimpressive pre-sales + it being a sequel to an old film without Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt (which makes it different from Sound of Freedom, an original film that caught on conservative media and had Pay it Forward stuff).

Β 

I just don’t see why people treat walkups as a given instead of surprise, especially for something like this. It obviously won’t be as pre-sale heavy as something like Deadpool, but that doesn’t automatically mean it’ll be walkup heavy either.

6 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

By the way, with how Inside Out 2 is looking, can we agree now that Wicked is the one that should move?Β 

Yes, just bump it to the 22nd. Gladiator 2 won’t harm it.

4 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Yes, just bump it to the 22nd. Gladiator 2 won’t harm it.

early November is wide open, it should just slide up there and Thanksgiving can help it’s legs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VanillaSkies said:

early November is wide open, it should just slide up there and Thanksgiving can help it’s legs.

Β 

I think everyone's anxious about the election this year

Wicked benefiting from a strong 2nd or even 3rd weekend Thanksgiving hold can make it look good even if it has an eh opening. May even benefiting more than counting to counter-program to the Christmas mega hits.

Edited by toutvabien