Eric is Quiet

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

1 hour ago, Speedorito said:

I feel like it’s…not a super difficult concept to understand? We have actual theater owners saying they’re struggling. β€œTheaters are dead” is an exaggeration (they’re obviously) but Inside Out 2 doing big numbers doesn’t mean everything is hunky-dory either.

Β 

You can just look at trends or even just the box office grosses this year. They’re not great. The projections for the 2024 domestic box office estimates were recently lowered from 8.5B to 7.5B. And original animated films, which used to do big numbers, capping at 500M WW isn’t awesome, especially since they were the pretty much the last type of original films that could consistently do big numbers.

Β 

It’s nice to have optimism but June and July won’t magically fix everything.

Perfectly said. Someone tell this to EmpireCity. What a smug, unhinged douchebag.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Assassin said:

Where the hell is he getting 160M+ from? That would be essentially flat Sunday which is NOT happening.

It's EC. Could we expect anything else at this point.

2 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Where the hell is he getting 160M+ from? That would be essentially flat Sunday which is NOT happening.

He has rose colored glasses for all theatrical releases

6 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Β 

Unless it's like lower 50s, I don't see how it gets 160m based on historical comps.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Spectacular hold for BB4

Β 

That would be great. Sunday being flat with saturday. It could happen since it will be the Adult maleΒ  without kids movie of choice IΒ  assume.

The first IO must have done really well in post-theatrical for it to be blowing up like this. Higher admissions than Toy Story 4's opening?Β 

4 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

So people should not be shocked. This is not a red blooded American man movieΒ  on a day they might want to do something else.Β 

Β 

And yet more "red blooded American men" will still be sitting there watching IO2 more than Bad Boys, Apes & Furiosa combined on Father's Day. :chaplin:

• Heart 1

Just now, MattW said:

The first IO must have done really well in post-theatrical for it to be blowing up like this. Higher admissions than Toy Story 4's opening?Β 

Scott Mendelsohn made a very good point on how IO and DM were essentially the last new franchises for Gen Z alongside Frozen. Wouldn't be surprised if Moana and Coco sequels followed in similar footprints.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MattW said:

Per the-numbers it sold $120M+ in Blu-ray and DVDs, but other than that, I have never seen it on the Nielsen streaming charts unlike Moana keeps popping up every week.

Edited by Assassin
  • Like 2

We all would have liked the 10% bump on Saturday but flat is still keeping with the June Pixar pattern of anywhere from flat to +10%. As others have said, it seems to be mirroring Finding Dory. I wonder if this can do slightly better on Sunday, though, due to it being a little more relatable for everyone in comparison to FD which seems more kid skewing. I think it can get the sub 20% Sunday drop!

Edited by Insomnia

2 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Per the-numbers it sold $120M+ in Blu-ray and DVDs, but other than that, I have never seen it on the Nielsen streaming charts like Moana keeps popping up every week.

Yeah inside out was never on a year end Nielsen list either like coco or Zootopia.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Β 

And yet more "red blooded American men" will still be sitting there watching IO2 more than Bad Boys, Apes & Furiosa combined on Father's Day. :chaplin:

When you look at the raw numbers yes. I am just talking about that guy you know who he is. That guy who ain't going to see some animated movie about a 13 year old girl and her feeling and emotions. That is enough to peel of the sunday numbers just a little bit.Β 

• Like 1

Funny enough, not sure how many have been here long enough to remember, but the original "crumbling" meme came from the Inside Out OW thread 9ish years ago.Β 

Β 

For context: some pro-Marvel user was upset that JW opened higher than AoU and was convinced that it would collapse after its opening weekend and end up with a lower domestic total. In the Inside Out OW thread, they claimed that JW was "crumbing" and would finish below 450 domestic.Β 

Β 

So..... kind of fitting that people bring that meme back this weekend. Kind of a nice full-circle moment if you ask me.Β 

• Like 9
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

The original Inside Out had a Sunday drop of less than 20% and it was Fathers day as well

Yep just checked on BOM. It held pretty well. 150 + very doable for this.

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

The original Inside Out had a Sunday drop of less than 20% and it was Fathers day as well

Β 

Even more impressive it was facing Jurassic World's monster of a second weekend.

I feel like this weekend really shows the importance of theatrical releases vs straight to streaming (not just for Pixar but in general) because it feels like Soul (which won two Oscars), Luca, and Turning Red have been really overlooked with all of the β€œPixar is back” articles. A lot of people watched them on Disney+, but they just feel a bit invisible, even compared to Lightyear and Elemental. A lot of these straight to streaming films just come and go.

• Like 2