The Wild Eric

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

9 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Alright, I made a mistake. $85M actually would have been a super duper amazing OW and anybody saying that would have been bad is simply a troll who needs to shut the fuck up. Happy now BOT?

Β 

Anyways, back in non-sarcasm mode, my issue is not the actual numbers themselves (they're amazing! 550+ DOM is fucked up), my issue is with how when it was tracking significantly lower (because this movie suddenly blew up) I tried to tell people that result would not have been goodΒ and yet was met with resistance, and theseΒ actualΒ numbers are proving, that, yes, those hypothetical lower numbers would've been bad. And this forum's insistence on not admitting when poor numbers are poor ticks me off!

It is more the aggressive tone than anything which is frustrating others here. Also I'm not sure why you were/still are obsessed with what was clearly lowball tracking from the trades.Β 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Why the need to fight? This isn't reddit or 4 chan. One of the rules at the start of this thread is Don't be a dick, listen to it.Β 

Ok, so how about I explain my frustration without "being a dick" or whatever

Β 

The main thing I was complaining about is when people can't admit when bad numbers are bad. That's literally itΒ 

6 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

The main thing I was complaining about is when people can't admit when bad numbers are bad. That's literally itΒ 

Β 

We are never going to agree on what the "bad" threshold was here and it doesn't matter anymore, so drop this and move onΒ 

Β 

Β 

Edited by AniNate

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

We are never going to agree on what the "bad" threshold was here and it doesn't matter anymore, so drop this and move onΒ 

Well me personally, I have no mercy with calling numbers badΒ :)

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Knock It Off 1

Fantastic opening for Inside Out 2. Summer, cinemas and 2024 were in dire need of this. The momentum needs to continue and be maintained though.Β 

Β 

But I’ll personally also be happy if it misses Barbie’s opening weekend.Β 

30 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Well me personally, I have no mercy with calling numbers badΒ :)

What would’ve still been the highest opening weekend of the year, and 300% higher than Pixar’s last opening, could never be termed β€œbad” numbers. That would be like seeing Furiosa’s numbers and acting like Hollywood was dead. Currently what we have are not just great numbers they are phenomenon number only 1 other animated film has done better than this. It absolutely did not need to be this high to be a success, being this high makes it a phenomenon, $85-90 would’ve still been a big hit, most especially in the context of the current market.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Alright, I made a mistake. $85M actually would have been a super duper amazing OW and anybody saying that would have been bad is simply a troll who needs to shut the fuck up. Happy now BOT?

Β 

Anyways, back in non-sarcasm mode, my issue is not the actual numbers themselves (they're amazing! 550+ DOM is fucked up), my issue is with how when it was tracking significantly lower (because this movie suddenly blew up) I tried to tell people that result would not have been goodΒ and yet was met with resistance, and theseΒ actualΒ numbers are proving, that, yes, those hypothetical lower numbers would've been bad. And this forum's insistence on not admitting when poor numbers are poor ticks me off!

Your mistake was not your original opinion on the $85M number. Get a clue, man.

Β 

Also you really just need to calm down! You keep saying the same things over and over like you desperately don't want the discussion to end.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Insomnia said:

Perfectly said. Someone tell this to EmpireCity. What a smug, unhinged douchebag.

Sorry but he has a point. People try to argue that after Covid movies will never reach the limits it had in 2019. I 100% believe it will. This year was destined to fail after the 2 strikes last year. Why is everybody surprised this year is way worse than initally planned ? It was clear as day that this year will struggle a lot. Look at the slate next year. Heck even the rest of this year. Yes the volume is part of the problem here but the doomsday prejetions of the movie industry is a pure joke. As I said people are freaking out for no reason at all. If 2025 comes under projections than we can talk. Now it is big hyperbole

43 minutes ago, KnightofNight237 said:

What would’ve still been the highest opening weekend of the year, and 300% higher than Pixar’s last opening, could never be termed β€œbad” numbers. That would be like seeing Furiosa’s numbers and acting like Hollywood was dead. Currently what we have are not just great numbers they are phenomenon number only 1 other animated film has done better than this. It absolutely did not need to be this high to be a success, being this high makes it a phenomenon, $85-90 would’ve still been a big hit, most especially in the context of the current market.

Yeah and no one would be disappointed if Deadpool 2 declined and opened to just 100M because "well it's still more than twice of Marvels"

Β 

Context matters, the film does not exist in a vacuum where we completely ignore how successful and beloved the first film is, an original animated hit having its sequel open to less than the first film is rare, and for Pixar unheard of, considering they managed to do so even with their more middle of the road films like Cars let alone one of their most beloved ones

Β 

Opening to 80-85 like original projections suggested would've been a disappointing OW, not one that loses money and crashes Pixar into the ground, but even so, it wouldn't be good, and would put in serious question whether Pixar could even in any way return to become a big draw theatrically, because if the pretty much easiest pitch they have in their arsenal can't be an unquestionable smash hit, then what do they have that can?

Β 

The fact that we are now looking at an OW nearly twice as big as the high end of those original projections suggest that potential was always there to put up a way better performance, and yes, it was completely fair to consider those projections for the opening disappointing, because they were, and any attempt to spin them as something else than that requires a whole lot of rationalization on covid and D+ to make a poor number good - basically saying that the new normal for Pixar should be to just lower your expectations

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 5
  • Knock It Off 1

10 minutes ago, blazera said:

People try to argue that after Covid movies will never reach the limits it had in 2019

It won't, but that is not shocking considering attendance has been down nearly every year domestically even pre-covid for decades. To get to 2019 numbers would need like ~$14B this year and probably ~$15B or more by 2026 which isn't happening. Getting back to $10-11B is certainly possible due to inflation and I think that will happen in 2026 when the product is also great Avatar 3, Avengers 5, Toy Story 5, Frozen III, Mario 2, Batman 2, Moana LA, Mando and Grogu ... maybe Avatar (the Aang one) as well.Β 

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 2

On 6/14/2024 at 10:29 AM, Legion Again said:

Had some time to kill so here’s adjusted too I guess:

I2 223M

Shrek 3 198M

Shrek 2 193M

Dory 173M

F2 158M

TS3 155M

Minions 152.5M

SMB 150M

TS4 147M

SLOP 134M //10th

Nemo 129M

Incredibles 126M

TS2 126M

M. inc. 123M

Simpsons 119.5M

IO1 119M

Β 

Look at Shrek 2. Had the thankless task of gigantically increasing over its breakout predecessor, and not just sustain the goodwill for the franchise but also increase it for its successor, while becoming a pop-culture icon in its own right. And it achieved all of it and more.

You Are Unique GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, blazera said:

Sorry but he has a point. People try to argue that after Covid movies will never reach the limits it had in 2019. I 100% believe it will. This year was destined to fail after the 2 strikes last year. Why is everybody surprised this year is way worse than initally planned ? It was clear as day that this year will struggle a lot. Look at the slate next year. Heck even the rest of this year. Yes the volume is part of the problem here but the doomsday prejetions of the movie industry is a pure joke. As I said people are freaking out for no reason at all. If 2025 comes under projections than we can talk. Now it is big hyperbole

Β 

Exactly this. What's frustrating is that some, especially those on X [like how clueless these people are], treat this as if it was a normal year. The volume is down. The usual release patterns were altered. Did they conveniently forget there had been no Disney movie since November last year? That Disney movies usually carry the month of May having big movies on its first and last weekends? Even the slates of other studios are weak. Paramount is just relying on A QUIET PLACE: DAY ONE this summer. Nothing else. Even Warner Bros. Thank God they had DUNE and GΓ—K last March because their summer lineup is just so weak.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I’m sorry but why are even still arguing about 85M when the weekend is almost over? Move the fuck on already.

Agree

I think it's time to start "it's so over" requiem chant when IO2 might not cross 162 M mark

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Yeah and no one would be disappointed if Deadpool 2 declined and opened to just 100M because "well it's still more than twice of Marvels"

Β 

Context matters, the film does not exist in a vacuum where we completely ignore how successful and beloved the first film is, an original animated hit having its sequel open to less than the first film is rare, and for Pixar unheard of, considering they managed to do so even with their more middle of the road films like Cars let alone one of their most beloved ones

Β 

Opening to 80-85 like original projections suggested would've been a disappointing OW, not one that loses money and crashes Pixar into the ground, but even so, it wouldn't be good, and would put in serious question whether Pixar could even in any way return to become a big draw theatrically, because if the pretty much easiest pitch they have in their arsenal can't be an unquestionable smash hit, then what do they have that can?

Β 

The fact that we are now looking at an OW nearly twice as big as the high end of those original projections suggest that potential was always there to put up a way better performance, and yes, it was completely fair to consider those projections for the opening disappointing, because they were, and any attempt to spin them as something else than that requires a whole lot of rationalization on covid and D+ to make a poor number good - basically saying that the new normal for Pixar should be to just lower your expectations

I actually agree, that number wouldn't have been good at all, but the issue here is this particular poster's insistence on everyone kissing his/her feet and apologizing for their opinions. Nobody has to apologize for their opinions.

29 minutes ago, Potiki said:

It won't, but that is not shocking considering attendance has been down nearly every year domestically even pre-covid for decades. To get to 2019 numbers would need like ~$14B this year and probably ~$15B or more by 2026 which isn't happening. Getting back to $10-11B is certainly possible due to inflation and I think that will happen in 2026 when the product is also great Avatar 3, Avengers 5, Toy Story 5, Frozen III, Mario 2, Batman 2, Moana LA, Mando and Grogu ... maybe Avatar (the Aang one) as well.Β 

Β 

This post does underline the fact that 2019 was only as big as it was because it was ALSO heavily dependent on the biggest Disney IPs and the Batman franchise putting out films in the same year.

International box office hits record $30 billion - L.A. Business First

The pandemic has made some folks forget all the discussions we were having in 2019 about how it was feast for the big Disney IPs (and Batcharacters) and famine for pretty much everything else. For better or worse, movie-going habits changed BEFORE the lockdown.Β 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1