Eric is Anxious

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Completely unrelated but what is holding Disney back from making a BIG HERO 6 sequel?

Maybe it's the fact that it didn't make $300m DOM. And it doesn't tear up the streaming charts like Moana either.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Completely unrelated but what is holding Disney back from making a BIG HERO 6 sequel?

They made an animated series, so they probably didn’t see the need. Maybe now they’ll consider it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Β 

Well the director just bailed for one thing. I think its status as a reliable franchise is kinda precarious in the sense that any sequel probably would flop with a reception short of the near-unanimous positives (at least from critics/non-online families) that the original got. I imagine Strange World has them shying away from the "boy-driven" genre.

Β 

Β 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

Moana, Zootopia, and Frozen also clearly much more reliable. Maybe they revisit BH6 eventually, but I would prefer Disney Animation go back to the originals and literary adaptations that they are mostly known for once they get some financial stability back

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Maybe it's the fact that it didn't make $300m DOM. And it doesn't tear up the streaming charts like Moana either.

Β 

I am just under the impression that among their titles, this one has huge huge potential, especially now with the prevalence of AI and stuff. They just need the right story.

Big Hero 6 has the vibes where it was a big hit when it came out, but I never see anybody talking about it anymore. Like all the other Revival movies have people still making references to it, toys being sold, rumblings online. But I think the last time I ever saw somebody talk about Big Hero 6 out there in the wild was probably like...7 years ago? Guess part of it is just that Marvel fans have bigger, more exciting things to gush over? I dunno.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Eric S'ennui said:

I think the one thing that has been consistent, and I'm sure the tracking team can correct me if I'm wrong, is that movies that skew more white typically have bad walk-ups. Elvis, Indiana Jones, Fall Guy, Furiosa, Flower Moon. I think even Top Gun didn't really have big walk-ups.

Β 

By contrast, stuff skewed more towards Black/Hispanic viewers typically have bigger walk-ups. So GxK, Equalizer, Creed, Apes, Minions, Kung Fu Panda, Inside Out, etc.

Β 

So yeah. Not a great sign for Twisters, though I believe the consensus is it should still cross 40M at least, maybe even 50M. That's still fine.

Β 

I thought Barbie and Oppenheimer have good walk-ups.

Β 

Also, Inside Out skew towards Black/Hispanic? That's insteresting. I've always thought its main audience was white.

Edited by Kon

I think there is also a distinction between presales a month out and presales a week out. People can more reliably make plans for a movie for next Saturday than next month. Not technically "walkups" but still didn't want to plan their life around it so early.Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

People really lapped up that $10 credit promo, seems you can't get it anymore

Really shows how big a factor ticket price is on the discussion about theatres and movie going. People still want to go to movies just make it more affordable!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

Β 

I thought Barbie and Oppenheimer have good walk-ups.

Β 

Also, Inside Out skew towards Black/Hispanic? That's insteresting. I've always thought its main audience was white.

There can be exceptions of course, but this is a general rule of thumb.

Β 

And yeah, it's not confirmed confirmed, but Pixar movies typically perform well in Latin America, I believe Inside Out 2 is performing well in Hispanic-skewing areas according to the tracking team, and animated movies typically overindex on Hispanic viewership for whatever reason. Caucasians will likely still be the biggest demo percentage-wise, but I'm assuming it'll be somewhere in the 30s.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I think there is also a distinction between presales a month out and presales a week out. People can more reliably make plans for a movie for next Saturday than next month.

Yeah the whole buying movie tickets a month or months out they way one would buy concert tickets or sporting events is kind of silly for most movies.Β 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I think there is also a distinction between presales a month out and presales a week out. People can more reliably make plans for a movie for next Saturday than next month. Not technically "walkups" but still didn't want to plan their life around it so early.Β 

Β 

Β 

In fairness, a lot of tracking pointed out like this week, a last minute ramp up was possible and that playing like a kids movie isn’t a bad thing or warning sign. It's just that the last few Disney family movies that started off good fumbled during the home stretch presale wise.

Inside Out 2 is fantastic imo, top 10 Pixar for me personallyΒ 

Β 

image0.jpg?ex=666def94&is=666c9e14&hm=eb

(no WALL-E because it’s been long enough since I last saw it to where I can’t give a fair rating)

Β 

Also every movie here barring Cars is great and at least an 8/10+

• Like 2