The Five-Year-Engagement

6 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Five Year Engagement

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

The pacing of the movie felt like a lot like what the main characters are going through. Somewhere in the middle, you get a little frustrated at where things are going, but you still want everything to work out in the end, which it does. The writers did a good job of crafting the story as such, IMO.

As for the humor, It's consistently funny, and Segel and Blunt have good chemistry. Not to mention Annie and Andy. They're pretty freaking hilarious. I've seen better from the people behind it, but it's still worth a look.

B

Edited by Spaghetti

Overlong and not nearly as funny as FSM. But it still feels honest and gets off on Segel's charm.

Alison Brie got almost as much screen time as Chris Pratt- who gets quite a bit- but they still needed more of her. And they definitely needed more of Jackie Weaver.

B/B-

"The Five-Year-Engagement" Mini-Movie Review (sorta spoilers)

I wish I had liked this more. The cast is so great (from the main four to the classmates and michigan friends), and certain scenes are insanely sweet and funny. The proposal at the beginning was great, and the reverse proposal and subsequent wedding was even better. It's just the overall story arch in-between the two proposals that lets the movie down for me.

The whole psychology motif and the planted attractive professor is so obvious and heavy handed. And the movie just starts to spin its wheel when the engagement is called off and they go back home to new relationships. It's this weird mix of incredibly serious and sad with also trying to be lighthearted. Which doesn't really work. The entire middle third or more of this film just felt dragged out to me and not very enjoyable.

The saving grace for this movie is the core four of cast members. Emily Blunt is charismatic as always. Jason Segal is his usual loveable self. Chris Pratt works well on the big screen as that goofball best friend here. And I might be biased here, but I loved Alison Brie. She worked through the awkward fake accent, but she must have impressed the producers enough to go with her rather than someone with the accent already. Those four make this movie worth while.

So. The beginning and end? Incredibly sweet. Everything in-between? Only okay. Sadly. Held up by the great cast and well paced laughs.

Final Grade: "Like it" or 6.5/10 or a B-/C+.

After the Credits! - Nothing. Some neat wedding invitation style credits near the beginning though.

Even though its too long, there could have been some subplots taken out, some scenes don't work and some of the humour is strange, the rest of it is freakin awesome. I pretty much loved 90% of it and there were some scenes that had me howling. Rhys Ifans is a scene stealer and Alison Brie is a peach. One of my faves so far this year.9/10

Wow when I saw the 2 hour runtime it scared me a little bit ha. Loved it! Both Jason and Emily did a superb job and the other 2 characters as well, just a fun,enjoyable film and 2 hours well spent.. Faaaaaaaack I love me some Mr.Siegal. A-