Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

It’s another huge weekend for theaters in this otherwise dismal summer season. With the sizzling performance of “Inside Out 2,” the year-to-date deficit shrank again from 23.8% to 21%, according to Comscore. Now, movie theaters need the rest of the summer slate — including “A Quiet Place: Day One” (June 28), “Despicable Me 4” (July 3) and “Deadpool & Wolverine” (July 26) — to continue the momentum.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Nah disney still has brand awarness issue is they didn't have films people wanted to see lately till now

I agree. The only brand hurt by Disney is the MCU. Even then, the MCU will still depends on the characters popularity. 

If the characters in the movies are pretty popular, I'm pretty sure the MCU movie will be pretty successful (coffDeadpool&Wolverinecoff).

Edited by Kon

12 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Encanto though was just an exception, making like 2.5 times the other movies its own first year, and now plays second fiddle to Moana.

Encanto had a whole year on D+, compared to 6 months for Luca and 3 and a half months for Elemental

• Like 1

Things are good right now. IO 2 being a monster and BB ROD holding really well with 200M DOM becoming more of a possibility. The older movies having almost 80's and early 90's like legs.  Even bikeriders getting to 10 is good if the estimate holds.  Having seen the movie it was never going to break out. And no it would not have been bigger hit  in the 80's or 90's. It would have done the same or more like 5-7 million because tickets were cheaper.then.

Note, Disney’s projections for a $100M second weekend stems from the extreme temperatures and weather conditions currently with Louisiana swamp humidity in NYC and 90 degree temperatures in LA, the notion is that many will take safe harbor in air conditioned theaters. However, if today eases 25% off Saturday’s $38.5M, then Inside Out 2 stays in the $98M range, which is still an animated second frame record, and the best since Barbie.

https://deadline.com/2024/06/box-office-inside-out-2-record-bikeriders-1235980501/

14 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Both Barbie and Lion King also took 10 days to hit $350M domestic

Well, it has a bigger 10-day gross, therefore it is the "fastest" film to get there. That's how they usually count these things. Also wild it has the biggest gross with the smallest ow share amongst its comps.

• Like 1

Incredible drop for Inside Out 2. A sub-40% drop for a film of this size is remarkable. When you're outdoing the original Spider-Man's 2nd weekend drop from 2002, and edging close to Top Gun: Maverick territory, you know your 2nd weekend is incredibly strong.

Best Second Weekend Drops for 100M+ Friday Openers without Holiday Second Weekend:

1. Top Gun: Maverick (2022): -28.9%
  2. Inside Out 2 (2024): -35.1%
  3. Spider-Man (2002): -37.8%
  4. The Jungle Book (2016): -40.4%
  5. Barbie (2023): -42.6%
  6. Wonder Woman (2017): -43.3%
  7. Black Panther (2018): -44.7%
  8. Finding Dory (2016): -46.0%
  9. Alice in Wonderland (2010): -46.0%
  10. Toy Story 3 (2010): -46.2%
  11. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023): -47.6%
  12. Beauty and the Beast (2017): -48.3%
  13. Jurassic World (2015): -49.0%*
  14. The Avengers (2012): -50.3%
  15. The Batman (2022): -50.4%
  16. Toy Story 4 (2019): -50.6%^
  17. It (2017): -51.3%
  18. The Secret Life of Pets (2016): -51.3%
  19. The Dark Knight (2008): -52.5%
  20. Thor: Ragnarok (2017): -53.5%

*2nd weekend was not technically a holiday weekend, but it did benefit significantly from Father’s Day (almost flat on Sunday)

^2nd weekend wasn’t a holiday weekend for US/NA, but it was for CANADA (Canada Day weekend arguably boosted its Sunday gross)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Kon said:

I agree. The only brand hurt by Disney is the MCU. Even then, the MCU will still depends on the characters popularity. 

If the characters in the movies are pretty popular, I'm pretty sure the MCU movie will be pretty successful (coffDeadpool&Wolverinecoff).

I do think SW return to theaters is... not gonna go over that well.

Top Gun, Barbie and now Inside Out 2....is this the new normal? One summer movie captures the casual moviegoers attention and when these movies breakout they really breakout.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I don't know if there have been new openers, but this is another great hold overseas. Last weekend's number was 30.8M.

1 minute ago, JimmyB said:

Top Gun, Barbie and now Inside Out 2....is this the new normal? One summer movie captures the casual moviegoers attention and when these movies breakout they really breakout.  

Might be two if Deadpool & Wolverine also blows up massively (which seems certain for opening weekend at this point).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Things are good right now. IO 2 being a monster and BB ROD holding really well with 200M DOM becoming more of a possibility. The older movies having almost 80's and early 90's like legs.  Even bikeriders getting to 10 is good if the estimate holds.  Having seen the movie it was never going to break out. And no it would not have been bigger hit  in the 80's or 90's. It would have done the same or more like 5-7 million because tickets were cheaper.then.

What movies are having 80s and early 90s legs?  

9 minutes ago, YM! said:

My god! IO2 is pulling a Barbie! I’m so happy for Pixar not only do they get the crown back but IO2 being good likely boosts their originals in Elio and the March 26 movie so long as quality is there.

I think so because this is like following a trend in terms of reception, Elemental was beloved and got great WOM, now Inside Out 2 is getting as much flowers as their top tier films from audience (4x+ legs are more impresive for a $150M opener). Pixar seems to be once again that studio for the GP where their releases are an event theatre worthy 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Pixar’s Inside Out 2 is on fire at the global box office, where it grossed a record-shattering $100 million domestically and $164.4 million overseas in its second weekend to finish Sunday with $724.4 million in ticket sales to become the top-grossing film of the year after racing past Dune: Part Two ($711. million).

Inside Out 2‘s tally stands at $355.2 in North America, where it fell a scant 35 percent, the best hold of any film in history that opened to $150 million or more. At 40 percent, Star Wars: The Force Awakens previously held that distinction. Overseas, Inside Out 2 has raked in $369.4 million, and it still has major markets yet to open. It fell only 22 percent in its second weekend, and scored the industry’s second biggest openings of all time in both Brazil and Spain.

Bigger than Mario!

Bigger than Barbie!

Bigger than TOP GUN MAVERICK!

FANTASTIC! IO2 will be the biggest movie of the year! We are witnessing history here!

5 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

What movies are having 80s and early 90s legs?  

Uh The Fall Guy, Apes, IF, Garfield are all having small week to week drops like movies did back then. I mean it's mostly because we are in this post strike reduced schedule where not many movies are coming out but still love to see it.