Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

23 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

Fantastic Four and Jurassic 7 will be big but Idk if Barbie/IO2/TGM kind of breakout. 

I keep forgetting Passion of the Christ sequel is actually coming out next year lol. It's supposed to released same date as Michael which makes me doubt about the performance of the latter now. It will be HUGE if they get every Christian seated like the first movie 

Still think FF4 is moving to November. Blade is not making that date so why not. Why have it come out 2 weeks after Superman. 

5 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

He's not wrong in some ways.  but he still has to take it to that next insufferable asshole level doesn't he. 

This doesn't matter much now, but I'm never gonna forgive this guy for getting me to think that Furiosa might do well and had literally nothing to say when it opened poorly. 

It's one thing to predict how a film might do very early in advance, but he never says that he was wrong or apologizes for insulting or being insanely condescending towards certain people. He just moves right on to the next thing and tries to pretend what he got wrong doesn't exist. 

Edited by Ryan C
  • Like 5

Good weekend. Hopefully these holds can keep going as we get 2 wide releases next week

10m OW dom is solid for The Bikeriders, but given the previews, I would have hoped for a bigger number than that. 

Hopefully the actuals will stay in the double digits and hopefully it can leg to like 35m DOM. 

4m internationally from like 20 markets. That's on the same pace as The Nortman which opened to like 3.4m internationally in 15 markets and finished at 35m internationaly.But Northman had many more markets left to open in. Bikeriders currently has like 8 more according to imdb. Hopefully those other markets get release dates soon. 

Should be good for 50m WW, 60m+ WW is on the table with good international legs, and more international releases.

Edited by Pinacolada

8 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

He's not wrong in some ways.  but he still has to take it to that next insufferable asshole level doesn't he. 

I still managed to find a way to doomsay AND got to spite EmpireCity at the same time, big W.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

If it actually gets released on the same date -and with reservations on Michael's rating.; I think they'll co-exist perfectly fine.

Overall yeah, I just think they wouldn't reach their potential because, since Michael is a 80s artist, the Top Gun Maverick type of audience that would support them will have to made a choice now (at least for the OW) 

4 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

This doesn't matter much now, but I'm never gonna forgive this guy for getting me to think that Furiosa might do well and had literally nothing to say when it opened poorly. 

It's one thing to predict how a film might do very early in advance, but he never says that he was wrong or apologizes for insulting or being insanely condescending towards certain people. He just moves right on to the next thing and tries to pretend what he got wrong doesn't exist. 

I just wonder if he is like that offline where he berates and bullies people who do not share his opinion. Or he is this meek little guy who let's it all out online. He would not be alone in that this day and age.

5 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Moana 2 and Zootopia 2 should both open big, looking at how Inside Out 2 is doing now. They're both following up major beloved animations, with the former especially seeing neverending airtime on Disney+. Their final hauls will be decided by their staying power, which will heavily depend on how good and satisfactory they are. Inside Out 2 seems to be successful in those criteria even if it's not regarded as highly as the first movie, which is why we'll be seeing a very good hold for it once the second weekend number lands in an hour and a half or so. So as long as Moana 2 and Zootopia 2 are both received well by audiences, they should have enough staying power for the billion dollar mark.

Frozen 3 on the other hand? I'm thinking it drops fairly steeply from the last movie. The legacy of Frozen 2 is deteriorating more and more every year, and we've seen no shortage of sequels paying for the sins of their predecessors. So unless the movie is seen as a return to form, it'll probably miss that billion dollar mark. I imagine the same would happen with a potential Incredibles 3, given how polarizing its predecessor was as well.

It´s funny how Incredibles 2 have this ´´polarized´´ image online, because nothing about that movie stats suggest that. 

Critics wise: it got 93% on RT and +80 on MC;

Audiences wise: it have 7.5 on IMDB against 8.0 of the original, so quite close (RT i disregard because it didn´t have the verified stats back then);

And of course, it got a tremendous A+ on CinemaScore and a ~3.4x multiplier over it´s record breaking OW, despite the known frontloaded nature of SH brands. 

When it comes to these Pixar sequels, imo is best to treat them like Avatar that is quite hated online but the GA loves it. Most people online grew up watching The Incredibles and the Toy Story trilogy, they´re highly nostalgic about them, nothing will ever be good enough to compete with these idealized feelings that those movies was perfect, so of course a lot of people is highly cynical and revionist about their sequels online. Still, in the real world, I2 and TS4 had absolutely amazing reception with critics and audiences and nothing strongly suggests the GA have any problems with them in order to hurt a potential I3 or TS5.

I do think they can drop, but more because the franchises might reached their ceiling than because most people find them polarizing. But with inflation, i think is more likely that they will both keep in the same ballpark or jump again next movie.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I just wonder if he is like that offline where he berates and bullies people who do not share his opinion. Or he is this meek little guy who let's it all out online. He would not be alone in that this day and age.

Who knows? I'm willing to bet what you said. 

Regardless, we should always take whatever he says with a grain of salt and even if he's right, it doesn't change the fact that he's a complete douchebag about it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Still think FF4 is moving to November. Blade is not making that date so why not. Why have it come out 2 weeks after Superman. 

TBF if Superman and Fantastic Four hit back to back that would be a nice shot in the arm for the CBM genre.

But it is becoming more likely that it’ll move there yeah. I guess it also depends on if they get Spidey 4 moving this fall like rumored. I can see Sony taking over that November date for Blade if so.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

He's also gone pretty much pro-genocide on twitter recently so that's been further revealing about him

• ...wtf 1

Insane hold for IO2. Watched it yesterday, good not great movie imo, still it´s clearly resonating strongly with the younger audiences based on my screening, they absolutely loved it. Feeling good about +650M DOM and +1.45B WW. It deserves too, even if Pixar sequels almost always don´t meet their originals, they´re still obviously good movies, which is miles beyond most franchises can say. 

Great hold as well for Bad Boys, didn´t care about it too but nice for Will and theaters. 

IF seems that it can try 120M DOM which is nice after it´s opening. Apes is getting 175-180M which is amazing for it. The Bikeriders seems solid and Focus is probably happy since they spend like 15M buying it. KOK limited opening is astonishing. 

Yeah, finally a great weekend overall.

• Like 1

I don't wanna inspire any kind of doom and gloom about the box office right now, but as amazing as it is that Inside Out 2 just pulled a Top Gun: Maverick-level hold this weekend, it can't be the only film that carries the box office for a while. 

Whether it's a tall order to ask or not, we need both A Quiet Place: Day One and Horizon: An American Saga Chapter 1 to perform well next weekend. To at least show that the box office can have much more variety and won't be living or dying by Inside Out 2 until at least Deadpool and Wolverine comes out. 

So, let's all hope that next weekend we can get a somewhat healthy top five, especially since we still have two films from May in the top five. In any other summer, that's not normal. 

• Like 1