Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

I'm sorry but what even is a live action Ice Age movie? Aren't all the characters cartoon animals? Are people proposing a Lion King (2019) version of Ice Age (a movie that is not actually live action by the way)? Sounds absolutely cursed.

Not sure where to post this, but is anyone seeing anything weird going on with AMC theaters? On Fandango, whenever I try to look at an AMC theater's seats, it gives an error. But this doesn't happen with other theaters

3 minutes ago, James said:

It is ironic to me that so many people here pile on DM, Minions or Ice Age, yet they’re so enamoured with Inside Out lmao. All of them are cash grabs. Disney is making movies to make money, just like every other studio out there.

I don't want to encourage them at least. Even an Inside Out 3 I'm not all that thrilled about, at least right on the heels of an Inside Out 2.

I truly don't even think Iger is quite as money-driven as this forum is. Pixar has two originals coming out after this movie. The time after a humongous hit like this should be the best opportunity possible to take more risks and not have to rely on the franchise well as much.

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Great hold for IO2 ofc, not real thrilled about Bikeriders coming in under double digits

At first, you're like, this is amazing and then when you see the official number for The Bikeriders, there's nothing but disappointment there. 

Just now, Ryan C said:

At first, you're like, this is amazing and then when you see the official number for The Bikeriders, there's nothing but disappointment there. 

Because I know how this forum is going to react to it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Because I know how this forum is going to react to it

This is kind of a different conversation all together, but there's honestly something kind of annoying about people who care so much about the non-franchise films doing well, that they either don't want to acknowledge or don't care about the franchise/blockbuster pulling in record-breaking numbers. 

Like, Avengers: Endgame could do $357M in three days and break the all-time opening weekend record and the conversation amongst some people would be like, "Yeah, but will that romantic comedy or adult drama coming out next weekend do $10M on opening weekend?"

So around a 6.7 IM. I was thinking 7-7.5.

Definitely thought it could go lower since Quorum metrics were so low, specially Awareness and looking at how other similar movies did.You know...there's something to Quorum. I've getting deep into it and while it's never clear or precise, it always has something to say. I like it.

24 minutes ago, James said:

It is ironic to me that so many people here pile on DM, Minions or Ice Age, yet they’re so enamoured with Inside Out lmao. All of them are cash grabs. Disney is making movies to make money, just like every other studio out there.

Yeah, but the Inside Out movies are good and those other ones are trash on a stick. So there.

• Like 14

From Deadline.

If Inside Out 2 arrives at $60M for a weekend 3, it will likely beat this weekend’s newcomer, A Quiet Place: Day One which is hovering at $42M+ with Imax per tracking. Kevin Costner’s three-hour Horizon via New Line will be lucky to do low double-digits. Hopefully the Yellowstone crowd heads to the theater after the Oscar winner revealed he’s not coming back for the final season of the Paramount+ series.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

I mean, The Wizard of Oz does remain one of the most beloved movies of all time and especially one of the most beloved family films that continues to be discovered by children to this day. This movie is arguably banking just as much, if not more, on the Oz IP as it is on the Broadway musical's enduring popularity.

For clarity, she has no idea what Wizard of Oz is. It was as simple as - there’s a princess in a pink dress with a tiara and there’s a witch - 

Very cute though. 

• Heart 1

If Horizon fails to hit double digits this weekend I imagine Part 2 in August will receive a very scaled-back release. They've been marketing these two movies together anyway clearly to save marketing money.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

I'm sorry but what even is a live action Ice Age movie? Aren't all the characters cartoon animals? Are people proposing a Lion King (2019) version of Ice Age (a movie that is not actually live action by the way)? Sounds absolutely cursed.

I regret mentioning the possibility. People were curious about an IA6 which likely shouldn’t happen and I said a remake was more plausible and even then don’t think it’d happen or will it make money. Thats my bad lol.

5 minutes ago, Joyous Legion said:

Great performance for Insideriders with 111M this weekend

I prefer RidingInsides.

54 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Not really but is it any worse than these unwatchable Despicable Me/Minions movies, or the 80 different Spiderman movies/reboots/animated we've had in the last decade, or the way the Star Wars IP is being pillaged and squeezed for every last drop? 

I don’t think any of those franchise movies even The Rise of Skywalker, Minions 1 or any superhero IP within the past ten years was as bad a movie as Ice Age: Collision Course.

23 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

So around a 6.7 IM. I was thinking 7-7.5.

Definitely thought it could go lower since Quorum metrics were so low, specially Awareness and looking at how other similar movies did.You know...there's something to Quorum. I've getting deep into it and while it's never clear or precise, it always has something to say. I like it.

It is actually very ugly for a movie that struggle to hit double digit have a worse opening IM than a lot of fan-driven movie that opened to 80m+

• Sad 1