Eric the Marxist

Fourth of July/Despicable Me 4 Weekend Thread | 122.61M 5-Day Opening

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I actually thinking Longlegs could be some sleeper horror hit like talk to me or boogeyman last year 

It won't. It's not as commercial, despite all the tweets saying you will have spasms and strokes and aneurisms and heart attacks from how scary it is. 

As for Maxxxine - and I say this with respect to to the talented people in front of and behind the camera - it's kind of a terrible result given how much more expensive it was to make and market than X and Pearl combined (and ofc those movies didn't cost 1M each, sub 10M total but not 1M each). 

Excellent for DM4 … seems like the 3rd one was indeed an exception. This should cross 300M total comfortably 

Curious about the OS figures, IO2 is really hurting it in some areas.

Barring any potential bad legs, DM4 opening so well really does have me questioning why Despicable Me 3 underperformed the way it did domestically (Yes, I know it still did fine). Cars 3 and Emoji were barely threats, especially compared to Inside Out 2 alone, and it's not like these movies get hurt by bad reviews at all. I guess Wonder Woman and Homecoming siphoned off some of the family audience, but I'm not sure if that's the main reason. It's just kind of a weird blip compared to every other movie before and after it.

Minions franchise 5 days and multies

DM1 - $72M, 3.5x

DM2 - $143M, 2.58x

Minions - $146M, 2.3x

DM3 - $99M, 2.66x (This is surprisingly good given very high competition and thought it was meh)
Minions 2 - $140M, 2.64x

DM5 - $123M

$282-325M if it follows last 4 films.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Eric the Minion said:

Barring any potential bad legs, DM4 opening so well really does have me questioning why Despicable Me 3 underperformed the way it did domestically (Yes, I know it still did fine). Cars 3 and Emoji were barely threats, especially compared to Inside Out 2 alone, and it's not like these movies get hurt by bad reviews at all. I guess Wonder Woman and Homecoming siphoned off some of the family audience, but I'm not sure if that's the main reason. It's just kind of a weird blip compared to every other movie before and after it.

It was coming off of the tepidly received first Minions movie and being the fourth movie in 7 years was probably giving "franchise fatigue" vibes, especially when there was no real hook for it (granted, "we made yet another one of these" was the hook for the last two as well). I'm guessing what ended up being a 5 year gap between movies (thanks to COVID) ended up helping the franchise, and Universal making the franchise a key part to the theme parks over the years has kept interest alive in the same way Disney's parks keep the animated movies always fresh in the public conscious. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Eric the Minion said:

I mean maybe you don't like race being brought up, but that is a legit query to bring up on a movie's box office potential. Like movies are skewing more and more towards minority viewers, and generally these types of sword and sandal movies generally skew towards old white dudes, like my dad. Of course that doesn't mean it's only that specific demo that likes it and nobody else is into it. And I'm sure I will be proven spectacularly wrong once the movie comes out and we get Deadline's demos. But I'm making an educated guess. The same educated guess everybody else gets to make for any other movie ever. 

To be fair, we still have 1B movies with white people as the biggest audience (Top Gun Maverick, Barbie). So, it's always possible Gladiator 2 will be pretty succesful even if it attracts mainly white people.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised latinos and hispanic like sword and sandal movies. So, I'm not sure that movie couldn't attract the biggest minority on most movies.

Edited by Kon

Outside of DM4, nothing else really impressed me. IO2 hold was basically my worst case scenario and BBRD is still likely to miss 200m. Meanwhile, MaXXXine and Sound of hope got insanely frontloaded. Bikeriders collapse again and the expansion isn’t kind to kind of kindness .

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Horizon had a decent hold given not many people actually seem to like it much. I guess it might've taken advantage of the AMERICAN SAGA subtitle this weekend

Also the southwest heatwave might in fact be benefiting that movie since the biggest theater was in southern Utah last weekend

Edited by AniNate