Eric Deetz

Fourth of July/Despicable Me 4 Weekend Thread | 122.61M 5-Day Opening

3 hours ago, Eric the Minion said:

I mean Gladiator's something only old white guys are into

All my gay friends are very excited about watching a bunch of hot man fighting each other with scandalous clothes (i am too tbh)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ryan C said:

He’s so cringe for fuck’s safe

”Roar theatrical, roar” …  Yeah sure, the 20th Minions movie being huge will definitely fix the problem that pretty much everything else has been failing. Every year you have a bunch of these huge exceptions that are performing like water in a desert and somehow he makes them feel like the rule  

• Like 2

With that said, while i’m depressed by seeing nearly all the great movies recently flopping hard, i do think the fatalist discourse around the forum is kinda silly. 

I mean sure, late capitalism crisis is real and maybe the world as we know is about to end, but in this case movie theaters is a superfluous thing in this scenario so whatever. 

But assuming this won’t happen anytime soon … it’s probably safe to say that this cycle of IP’s will end eventually. Movie history as a whole have a lot of cyclical moments, theaters are allegedly dying since they was created, crisis come and go and beloved genres fades away only for new ones emerge.

Of course is hard to see an end for something while experiencing it … but at some point there won’t be anything more to milk if the studios don’t create new shit, people will grow tired of them like they always does. Once this happens, studios will start doing a lot of very different things again, desperate to find something that sticks, like always happened.

Social media, streaming etc have their impacts but i doubt they’ll avoid this cycles to keep ending and starting again in new clothes.

I mean hey, I’m sure a lot of us grew up at the movie theater. I know I did. Was my high school/college job, my whole tiktok was created because of it. I genuinely wouldn’t be the person I am without movie theaters.

So if it takes a Disney sequel and the 9000th Minions movie to give them a shot in the arm, I’m all for it.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I mean hey, I’m sure a lot of us grew up at the movie theater. I know I did. Was my high school/college job, my whole tiktok was created because of it. I genuinely wouldn’t be the person I am without movie theaters.

So if it takes a Disney sequel and the 9000th Minions movie to give them a shot in the arm, I’m all for it.

This is very fair, these movies are very much needed in our current position, i’m happy that they’re thriving even if i personally don’t care that much about their successes because theaters depend of them. It’s silly to pretend otherwise.

My problem with EC approach and some similar arguments here is that the whole thing sounds like a vaccine denier … “everything is just fine, there’s nothing wrong about, see a few examples to prove it” and then goes on to blindly ignores everything else that is so obviously wrong. This leads to a overall discourse that simply isn’t open to solve any problems because they can’t even knowledge there is a problem to begin with. 

Theaters clearly are not dead, like i said i do think the fatalist discourse is absurd (even if more understandable to me), but the extreme positive is just stupid and wrong.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

Saw DM4 … funny how these movies keeps being so beloved because they’re really bad lol. It feels like a fractured monster that features a lot of short films (with varying range of quality) very loosely tied up in a story they came up late in the process. 

I’ll take Pixar average sequels over this any time.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

EmpireCity called me mentally ill on Twitter, I responded but then realized I didn't want him and his right wing union busting reply guy worshipers knowing my real name so I deleted it. Anyway, I just want to say it now - my opposition to endless sequels and IP content will go out the window if they ever get around to making Heat 2.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

EmpireCity called me mentally ill on Twitter, I responded but then realized I didn't want him and his right wing union busting reply guy worshipers knowing my real name so I deleted it. Anyway, I just want to say it now - my opposition to endless sequels and IP content will go out the window if they ever get around to making Heat 2.

Heat 2? Nothing wrong with that, but that's a very random movie to want to see a sequel to. 

Also, I should probably stop posting Empire City tweets. Clearly everyone is in a bad mood when we talk about him. Lol!

4 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Heat 2? Nothing wrong with that, but that's a very random movie to want to see a sequel to. 

Also, I should probably stop posting Empire City tweets. Clearly everyone is in a bad mood when we talk about him. Lol!

Mann wrote a book Heat 2! It's pretty good too. Apparently it's going to shoot soon with Austin Butler in the Kilmer role, who is the lead in the book.

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Mann wrote a book Heat 2! It's pretty good too. Apparently it's going to shoot soon with Austin Butler in the Kilmer role, who is the lead in the book.

Austin Butler? Ok, now I'm intrigued. At the very least he will be 100% committed to whatever role he gets. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

There's a reason that he's got a permanent ban from this place 🤷

1 hour ago, Ryan C said:

Also, I should probably stop posting Empire City tweets. Clearly, everyone is in a bad mood when we talk about him. Lol!

A lotta bitches here continue to be in a bad mood, so it's definitely not you.

Empire City is a problematic ass person, but, sadly, he provides us numbers. I think people can understand posting his numbers solely is not an endorsement of his ideology and such.

Is or are there better people out there who provide those kinda numbers? I miss RTH.

5 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Anything that gets people in cinema is good.

Despicable Me 4 or 40, doesn't matter.

The mad consistency of this franchise is an incredible wonder in itself that's worth celebrating 🍾 👏 

• Like 1