Eric the Marxist

Fourth of July/Despicable Me 4 Weekend Thread | 122.61M 5-Day Opening

Posted (edited)

So a $160 mil combined weekend per Deadline. Will likely be the end of the +2023 streak unless Longlegs and Moon both do like $30 mil next weekend. 

Edited by AniNate

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

So a $160 mil combined weekend per Deadline. Will likely be the end of the +2023 streak unless Longlegs and Moon both do like $30 mil next weekend. 

Yeah below 23 but comfortably above 21 and 22 at least once DP and W weekend hits. But September on is when we should have a long streak of beating 23.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

Unrelated but do we know if Hans Zimmer is returning for Gladiator?

Nope Harry Gregson-Williams,  who is part of the Zimmer Family tree basically,  is doing the score.

I think a sub 50% drop for Inside Out 2 is pretty amazing. It dropped better than Inside Out did against Minions in 2015. And it should have more summer weekdays than Barbie and basically no competition now. I think it’s way too early to say that beating Jurassic World is unlikely or not happening.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

I think a sub 50% drop for Inside Out 2 is pretty amazing. It dropped better than Inside Out did against Minions in 2015. And it should have more summer weekdays than Barbie and basically no competition now. I think it’s way too early to say that beating Jurassic World is unlikely or not happening.

What? It did not. IO drop 40% against the first minion.  And also, Deadpool 3 is coming. I know that is aiming for different segment but a mega-size OW like 165m is a competition to every movie regardless of how different they are.

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Nope Harry Gregson-Williams,  who is part of the Zimmer Family tree basically,  is doing the score.

That's a bummer. What is that Zimmer Family tree about? Give me names if you can.

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

What? It did not. IO drop 40% against the first minion.  And also, Deadpool 3 is coming. I know that is aiming for different segment but a mega-size OW like 165m is a competition to every movie regardless of how different they are.

Double features to the rescue! Only half-kidding here.

Posted (edited)

I took some friends Friday night to see Kinds of Kindness. They're complete normies but we've made a tradition of going to the movies once at least every 2 weeks but usually every week. And I'm the one that picks the movies we see.

Let's just say my cred was hurt by it. I knew it was a bad idea but holy I did not want to see DM4. Should've picked it tho. They despised KoK.

PS: Honestly, even I didn't like it that much. Bit of a hard one to sit through.

Edited by justnumbers

4 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

That's a bummer. What is that Zimmer Family tree about? Give me names if you can.

Zimmer has a company called Remote Control Productions with a bunch of composers who apprenticed and studied under him. Lorne Balfe, John Powell, Mark Mancina, Steve Jablonskly,  Harry and Rupert-Gregson Williams, Trevor Rabin. I could go on. There are a lot.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Ah, my mistake. I thought it dropped way worse than it did. But my point still stands. A sub 50% drop is still amazing. Especially in the face of direct competition.

Deadpool and Wolverine is not competition. Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes didn’t lose screens against Inside Out 2. There is no doubt it can have some effect but it’s not competition. Unless it loses massive screen counts, these films can coexist.

Edited by AnthonyJPHer

17 minutes ago, Eric the Minion said:

Double features to the rescue! Only half-kidding here.

Hopefully IO 2 plays first and then the kids fall asleep but oh well that's on those Parents that do that double feature.

27 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

I took some friends Friday night to see Kinds of Kindness. They're complete normies but we've made a tradition of going to the movies once at least every 2 weeks but usually every week. And I'm the one that picks the movies we see.

Let's just say my cred was hurt by it. I knew it was a bad idea but holy I did not want to see DM4. Should've picked it tho. They despised KoK.

PS: Honestly, even I didn't like it that much. Bit of a hard one to sit through.

The first two stories, especially the second, are pretty decent. The third is awful. And, only hardcore Yorgos fans will like it. Felt like a lesser Peter Strickland movie. Reminded me of Duke of Burgundy and Flyx Gourmet but not as good as either. 

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Dm4 has become the highest grossing film ever with over a trillion worldwide 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl2603516673/?ref_=bo_hm_rd

I don't know how BOM messed up putting the international number for Despicable Me 4, but that's just hilarious. 

Though it does make me think of a future where inflation is so bad that we'll get to a point where it's common for movies to make over one trillion dollars.