kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Actuals | 81.3M TWISTERS | 24.4M DESPICABLE ME IV | 12.8M INSIDE OUT II | 12.0M LONGLEGS

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

A 75/225 run for this would be really good all things considered.

It absolutely would! Even if it doesn't crack $80M (still hoping that the walk-ups keep on coming), a $75M debut for Twisters would be fantastic. 

Outside of our lord and savior Shawn, I don't think anyone in this forum went this high on Twisters, but it just makes this opening all the more surprising. Thank God at least one of the big wildcards this summer is doing well. 

21.5 is still better than Dune 2's true Friday. 80 mil very much in play still especially given how Saturday is looking pretty robust in sales

Just saw it. Really enjoyed it and Glen, Daisy and Anthony all shine

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

21.5 is still better than Dune 2's true Friday. 80 mil very much in play still especially given how Saturday is looking pretty robust in sales

Just saw it. Really enjoyed it and Glen, Daisy and Anthony all shine

Why thank yo- never mind

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

It absolutely would! Even if it doesn't crack $80M (still hoping that the walk-ups keep on coming), a $75M debut for Twisters would be fantastic. 

Outside of our lord and savior Shawn, I don't think anyone in this forum went this high on Twisters, but it just makes this opening all the more surprising. Thank God at least one of the big wildcards this summer is doing well. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Anyone here watching Oddity this weekend? Saw a bunch of people recommending it and to go watch it blind. Trying to watch it tn but most likely on Sunday

Short and spooky. Probably the most fun horror film of the year so far. Everyone should watch this instead of Longlegs

I guess historically Friday July 19 openers do tend to have muted Saturday increases so I can see why estimates aren't inclined to go with 80s. But I dunno, I just have a hunch it's gonna end up getting there somehow. Guess we'll find out.

I did a comparison between Twisters and Oppenheimer (since their opening day numbers are really close) and if Twisters follows the same True Friday-to-Sunday multiplier that Oppenheimer got (3.664x), Twisters will hit $78.7M for the weekend. 

The issue at hand here is really those Wednesday previews inflating those Thursday previews and the fact that Oppenheimer was clearly boosted by "Barbenheimer." 

Unless there's a big surprise in the morning, I think $80M is gonna be very hard to reach. Maybe those middle America walk-ups will boost the number, but I think $75M is gonna be where Twisters will end up. Still, this is far from a bad number. 

My thoughts are more along the lines of still thinking the Friday estimate is low. Cjat did lowball the combined previews by over $2mil still with his initial call

Edited by AniNate

3 hours ago, Ryan C said:

Just a quick correction, A Quiet Place: Day One got a B+ Cinemascore

That's right I was thinking of how the RT audience score was really low for it and yet it still got the B+.

10 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Hey Baumer! 

Just in case you haven’t seen Twisters yet, there’s a scene in the middle section and they’ve used real animals. The set up/what they’re doing to the animals is cruelty (Rodeo, pulling at their heads and legs etc). I remember that being a no-go for you. 

Well thank you so much for giving me a warning. No I don't like that stuff and thank you for remembering. Still going to see it but I don't understand how something like that even makes it to a film anymore.

13 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Honestly, it wasn't even that. I just didn't care enough to keep talking about it. I enjoy debate and arguments, but I don't think about what I or others say here once I log out.

If there's one thing I've learned from being here it's that no one really knows anything (even folks doing legit tracking have been blindsided), because if we did we'd be working in Hollywood and not be active here. At least, I wouldn't be.

I've been at these forums for more than 20 years, I was actually one of the original members at box office mojo when they first established the forums. The people here that track movies and the box office, not all of them of course, but there's plenty of members here who probably know more about tracking and budgets and audiences and all kinds of movie minutiae than studio executives or people in Hollywood who are paid to do that stuff. 

And there have been members here who have gone on to work in the industry. And there are members here that do work in the industry. I once had a private conversation with a member here who was in the payroll department for Disney, and he told me that he had just written a check for $10 million dollars to Robert Downey Jr for his appearance in Homecoming.

I don't know this stuff nearly as much as I used to but I will say this just for an example. There was a movie executive that works for Platinum Dunes that I developed an online relationship with years back. He would literally email me and ask me if I have any updated numbers for certain movies that his company had released. I'm not saying that to brag because like I said I don't follow this stuff nearly as much anymore and I don't talk to that executive anymore, but he was familiar with our site and he knew the stuff that we spoke about here and that's why he asked me for any updated info. Don't discount this place just because it's a movie forum. There's lots and lots of knowledgeable people here.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, baumer said:

I don't understand how something like that even makes it to a film anymore.

I’m pretty sure the producers for the movie worked with a proper animal protection org to make sure no animals were actually hurt during the making of the film.

• Like 3

I'm obviously not at the forums as much as I used to be so forgive me if this is already been discussed. 

I just found out that Bill Paxton's son has a cameo or a very small role in twisters. 

That's a very cool gesture on the producers part.

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I’m pretty sure the producers for the movie worked with a proper animal protection org to make sure no animals were actually hurt during the making of the film.

Agreed 👍 

5 hours ago, Flopped said:

Can you tell us how Longlegs is looking? Can't trust Deadline. 

My friend watched every movie at the cinema and he's always so easily pleased. He text me this morning saying 'longlegs was awful, don't watch it'

Seems to be a common theme that well reviewed horrors tend to be bad