kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Actuals | 81.3M TWISTERS | 24.4M DESPICABLE ME IV | 12.8M INSIDE OUT II | 12.0M LONGLEGS

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Twisters pretty much locked to hit $200m domestic with that opening. Thinking with the positive audience reception it should manage better legs than Jason Bourne, and it's still an unknown imo if it will actually be hit hard by Deadpool next week the way a lot of people are quick to assume it will be.

Hard to be a lock with a big unknown.  Twisters would need a 2.7 multi but that includes $10.7 in previews which makes it harder to reach than Bournes 2.73x with $4.2m in previews with the same FSS drops even if DW doesn't hit harder than SS hit Bourne. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This and The Bikeriders both falling off the face of the Earth after their underwhelming openings even though WOM for neither is terrible (though not great at the same time) goes to show how much total indifference towards a movie can break it.

Bikeriders just got a little drive in bump from Twisters - what a duo - but too little too late

21 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Sad

(5) Fly Me to the Moon Sony Pictures $960,000 +60% -79% 3,356 $286 $13,980,144  

Ouch. They probably should have just left it a Apple Exclusive. Gonna be interesting to see what the next movie after Wolfs and F1 is that they release theatrically.  I know they shot a Ryan Reynolds/ Kenneth Branagh movie directed by the Dungeons and Dragons guys called Mayday this spring. Not sure what other Big Budget stuff they are making. The Instigators with Matt Damon and Casey Affleck is being dumped and The Gorge the Scott Derickson movie with Miles Teller and Anna Taylor Joy sounds like it is a dud also.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Hard to be a lock with a big unknown.  Twisters would need a 2.7 multi but that includes $10.7 in previews which makes it harder to reach than Bournes 2.73x with $4.2m in previews with the same FSS drops even if DW doesn't hit harder than SS hit Bourne. 

...and i'm cross-eyed. 

• Haha 1

Excellent OW for Twisters and strong holds for DM3, IO2 and LL for a very strong/solid weekend overall. I expect next weekend to be strong as well with movies getting spillover from DP&W.

Is DP&W considered a lock for a 200M+ OW DOM at this point?

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Bourne was 2.87 disregarding preview inflation of weekend and total. If Twisters does follow Bourne's weekend pattern and reach $78.6mil, that would be a $67.9 Fri-Sun and $195m total gross post-previews if it has the same legs. Add the previews and it's $206mil. 

Edited by AniNate

5 hours ago, baumer said:

I can't remember the last time there was no in between on a movie. I don't think I've ever read a review or someone says it was fine or it was okay. People are either effusive with their praise or downright nasty with their criticism.

From the GA or critics? Because I generally see quite the opposite, especially from critics. But, in my circles of people too.

Just now, AniNate said:

Bourne was 2.87 disregarding preview inflation of weekend and total. If Twisters does follow Bourne's weekend pattern and reach $78.6mil, that would be a 67.9 Fri-Sun and $195 total gross. Add the previews and it's $206mil

Still too many ifs for a lock.  It could very well happen and it could very well not happen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Still too many ifs for a lock.  It could very well happen and it could very well not happen.

The only if is how much damage Deadpool will do. I'm willing to bet it won't be as bad as what Squad did to Bourne.

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's gonna need better legs than GXK since it will most likely open slightly under what that opened to. It will have stronger weekdays but that may be offset by having a 800 LB gorilla in it second weekend.  GxK had Monkey Man and the Omen prequel. God it would be nice to have one of these movie not do in the 180 -197 range.

Edited by emoviefan

5 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

It's gonna need better legs than GXK since it will most likely open slightly under what that opened to. It will have stronger weekdays but that may be offset by having a 800 LB gorilla in it second weekend.  GxK had Monkey Man and the Omen prequel. God it would be nice to have one of these movie not do in the 180 -197 range.

Godzilla X Kong feels like it should be more fanboy driven than something like Twisters

6 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Heavy walk ups and summer days kinda make me think it's impossible for it not to have better legs than GxK.

1 minute ago, Grand Cine said:

Demography for Twisters :

18-34 : 46%

25+ : 76% with Men and Women at 38% each

51% Caucasian , 26% Latino , 10% Black , 9 Asian American .

So America in a nutshell basically

10 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Ouch. They probably should have just left it a Apple Exclusive. Gonna be interesting to see what the next movie after Wolfs and F1 is that they release theatrically.  I know they shot a Ryan Reynolds/ Kenneth Branagh movie directed by the Dungeons and Dragons guys called Mayday this spring. Not sure what other Big Budget stuff they are making. The Instigators with Matt Damon and Casey Affleck is being dumped and The Gorge the Scott Derickson movie with Miles Teller and Anna Taylor Joy sounds like it is a dud also.

They are teaming up with A24 for the new Spike Lee/Denzel joint but since it's A24 (won't have as many resources behind it as these major studio collaborations did), good chance it ends up a limited theatrical/streaming three weeks later deal. They do have a couple of other major titles with an ample amount of talent behind them already filmed in the pipeline like Guy Ritchie's Fountain of Youth, Paul Greengrass' The Lost Bus, and Jonah Hill's Outcome, but most (all?) of them don't sound like they have any more commercial appeal than any of the ones released in thousands of theaters so far to lack of success.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Heavy walk ups and summer days kinda make me think it's impossible for it not to have better legs than GxK.

Yeah most likely. Fingers Crossed. It seems like WOM  is better and it's not Fanboy driven like that was.  Still want to be cautious though. If it drops like 70% next weekend  to 25 or something, we are all going to be really bummed out.