kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers [07.22 - 07.25, 2024] | Thursday | 6.52M TWISTERS | 3.45M DESPICABLE ME IV | 1.95M INSIDE OUT II | 1.33M LONGLEGS

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I am kind of wondering now if theaters will be that quick to dump Inside Out 2 next week. It's still got a pretty solid PTA for 1.5 months out and still 3000+ theaters. Might be able to withstand Harold and keep legging out all the way through Labor Day.

At my nearest Regal, Inside Out has started outselling DM4 on some days.

10 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I am kind of wondering now if theaters will be that quick to dump Inside Out 2 next week. It's still got a pretty solid PTA for 1.5 months out and still 3000+ theaters. Might be able to withstand Harold and keep legging out all the way through Labor Day.

I see no reason why they would drop it next week? It's basically holding like Toy Story 4 with way higher numbers. I'm not expecting it to go sub-3000 until the 9th.

I think the many sellouts for Deadpool will probably help Twisters more than hurt it tbh. 

One being rated R while the other one being PG13 is a plus. 

I’m fully expecting around 43-45M second weekend 

• Like 1

Great Wednesday drop for Twisters ( and other movies) , i expect 20% drop for all movies this thursday . I think holds will be good this weekend despite the red and yellow hurricane .

15 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think the many sellouts for Deadpool will probably help Twisters more than hurt it tbh. 

One being rated R while the other one being PG13 is a plus. 

I’m fully expecting around 43-45M second weekend 

I will be obnoxiously gloating for a week if this happens

38 minutes ago, Eric Wilson said:

I see no reason why they would drop it next week? It's basically holding like Toy Story 4 with way higher numbers. I'm not expecting it to go sub-3000 until the 9th.

I was thinking it might for awhile just because Finding Dory lost like 900 theaters to... Nine Lives. But that was already losing theaters and PTA weeks prior, the successive late July pg13 action tentpoles coupled with Ice Age + Pets hurt it too 

Edited by AniNate

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I was thinking it might for awhile just because Finding Dory lost like 900 theaters to... Nine Lives. But that was already losing theaters and PTA weeks prior, the successive late July pg13 action tentpoles coupled with Ice Age + Pets hurt it too 

I mean I think the more apt movie to say it lost theaters to was Suicide Squad. But yeah, you kind of answered your question there. 2016 was at a time where there were way movies coming out (remember when we got like three 2500+ releases a week? Those were the days). And by the time August rolled around, Dory was already in ninth place. Inside Out's locked for fourth place this weekend, and theaters really have nothing to replace it with in a summer as dead with product as this has.

Again, Toy Story 4 is the better comparison, since it was still chilling in the top 4 since theaters had nothing to replace it with (July 2019 had 6 wide releases. That's what we typically get these days), and the first weekend of August only had one movie.

• Like 1

Toy story 4 also lost like half its theaters though when angry birds came out. Probably will work to inside out's benefit though that Harold is coming out next week instead of later in August

Harold is an obvious dump that is not gonna hurt IO2.

Minions 2 had a good hold against League of Super Pets and that was way bigger than Harold will be, and also animated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric Wilson said:

Inside Out 2 is at 3,150 theaters this very weekend, though. Would be a pretty epic hold to stay above 3,000 on the 2nd. 🤔

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Inside Out 2 is at 3,150 theaters this very weekend, though. Would be a pretty epic hold to stay above 3,000 on the 2nd. 🤔

Well...yeah, you're right. I didn't ehck. But I'm not expecting a huge decline either way!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cannastop said:

another thing to note is that apparently it’ll lose less theaters than Despicable Me 4 this weekend. That movie is dropping 500+ theaters while I believe Inside Out 2 is shedding about 475 ish theaters. Which is crazy because Despicable Me 4 is a newer release and is grossing more daily. 

15 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

another thing to note is that apparently it’ll lose less theaters than Despicable Me 4 this weekend. That movie is dropping 500+ theaters while I believe Inside Out 2 is shedding about 475 ish theaters. Which is crazy because Despicable Me 4 is a newer release and is grossing more daily. 

Something that I'm surprised hasn't come up in this conversation is that the longer a movie is in theaters, the more money the theaters themselves make from the movie. I don't know the exact dollar amounts, but so it's not impossible that there may be theaters making more money from IO2 than they are from DM4 despite the latter having a higher gross.

7 hours ago, DAJK said:

Twisters is really popping off on social media. I’m seeing a lot of memes “summer 2023” showing Cilian and Margot and “summer 2024” showing Powell and Jones. Also a lot of 4DX memes. Seems to be entering a mini zeitgeist.

It's really a bummer that they scheduled themselves right next to the biggest opener of the summer/year/last 2.5 years, because the Twisters 4DX gained so much buzz in the last week that those screens could have been like the 70mm screens for Oppenheimer, just staying jam-packed for weeks with every screening from morning to midnight selling out. Hopefully Universal makes a deal to get it back on those screens ASAP. 

1 hour ago, JonathanMB said:

Something that I'm surprised hasn't come up in this conversation is that the longer a movie is in theaters, the more money the theaters themselves make from the movie. I don't know the exact dollar amounts, but so it's not impossible that there may be theaters making more money from IO2 than they are from DM4 despite the latter having a higher gross.

It's really a bummer that they scheduled themselves right next to the biggest opener of the summer/year/last 2.5 years, because the Twisters 4DX gained so much buzz in the last week that those screens could have been like the 70mm screens for Oppenheimer, just staying jam-packed for weeks with every screening from morning to midnight selling out. Hopefully Universal makes a deal to get it back on those screens ASAP. 

The local DBOX theater is giving at least one of those back to Twisters next week, so that's something 

1 hour ago, JonathanMB said:

Twisters 4DX does genuinely add something extra to the experience, rather than some gimmicks. Strangely even in Malaysia where the movie is just doing meh number, Twisters is still sharing 4DX screen with DW but I am not sure if that is the case in USA because I saw people complaining on twitter about twisters losing their 4DX showtimes.

Yeah I think Deadpool got all premium formats this week. Sucks but doesn't look like twisters is losing much demand so very possible it could get the screens back. 

We do all this woulda coulda shouldaing about the release date but the fact is twisters still looks like it's gonna be a pretty big domestic hit, and there are still drawbacks to any other nearby release date it could've reasonably picked instead. The month after Deadpool with limited PG 13 action competition will likely help course correct nicely, and it'll already have like $180 mil or so under its belt a week from now. Beetlejuice seems like the next movie that could materially impact its theater count.

Edited by AniNate