kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

10 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

They didn't even give Captain Marvel any love interest lol

Cause they were afraid and wanted it to be unique for no reason

Captain Marvel will be studied by Film enthusiasts about how to mess it all up

Forever hate Kevin Feige for this. Marvel fanboys are very kind to him

lol chill out dude

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alexandros said:

Yes but I don't remember it. What are you referring to?

Trying to be as vague as possible so mods don't ban me for spoilers but the sequence involving a person dancing to nsync. It was funny but as silly as anything else in Thor:Love and Thunder. DIfference being that silly belongs in Deadpool movies and not in a Thor movie. Thor 4 was basically a parody. A bad one.  I saw a tweet criticizing marvel fans for liking that Deadpool scene but hating the She-Hulk twerk scene and said it was misogyny. I don't agree with that tweet at all but it shows what works with one character may not work with another.

Edited by eddyxx

50 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

If Wonder Woman's 56% female audience taught us anything, it's the importance of romance with a likeable male love interest. Women went crazy for Pine in that movie to the point they actually brought him back from the dead

If you're making a movie trying to target female demographics and don't have romance in it then you're doing it wrong.

Now this statement may seem stereotypical, but what i say is "it is what it is.

• Like 2

Moderation

By the way we are done with this whole sexist nonsense of “MARVEL IS FOR MEN” and “WOMEN NEED A LOVE INTEREST”. This garbage wasn’t funny when The Marvels came out and it’s certainly not funny now. Continue further and you will see a thread ban.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 2

53 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

If Wonder Woman's 56% female audience taught us anything, it's the importance of romance with a likeable male love interest. Women went crazy for Pine in that movie to the point they actually brought him back from the dead

MCU is afraid of romance. Even this new Deadpool movie downplays his romance that was central to his motivations in previous movies. After the initial movies from phase one and two, it seems like Marvel took criticism of its female characters to either downplay love interests or avoid them altogether. I can't remember a marvel movie with a big kiss scene in it in ages.

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

If you're making a movie trying to target female demographics and don't have romance in it then you're doing it wrong.

Now this statement may seem stereotypical, but what i say is "it is what it is.

I also found her to be very feminine. I only watched it once but I remember the film taking a different tone and focusing on the power of love. They even brought elements of fashion into the story. Ironically, the film started to lose me when it resorted to it's typical superhero action in the last 3rd

17 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

MCU is afraid of romance. Even this new Deadpool movie downplays his romance that was central to his motivations in previous movies. After the initial movies from phase one and two, it seems like Marvel took criticism of its female characters to either downplay love interests or avoid them altogether. I can't remember a marvel movie with a big kiss scene in it in ages.

Its amazing because Iron Man, Cap 1 and Thor had romance and they kicked off the entire universe. Ant Man, spiderman had it and GOTG & BP had small hints of it so the romance only seemed to end after IW. 

Then again, Eternals had it too but that movie was beyond terrible. Actually thinking about it, there's more romance than I remember 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Eric is Trapped said:

Moderation

By the way we are done with this whole sexist nonsense of “MARVEL IS FOR MEN” and “WOMEN NEED A LOVE INTEREST”. This garbage wasn’t funny when The Marvels came out and it’s certainly not funny now. Continue further and you will see a thread ban.

Sorry just read this. Absolutely no intention of sexism what so ever though

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

They didn't even give Captain Marvel any love interest lol

Cause they were afraid and wanted it to be unique for no reason

Captain Marvel will be studied by Film enthusiasts about how to mess it all up

Forever hate Kevin Feige for this. Marvel fanboys are very kind to him

Yeah well his track record is pretty good lol

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

To add on apart from Peggy and Cap, the other two romances were kinda lame. Marvel has always been romance shy. Only recent one I think gets close is Wanda and Vision which the show did heavy lifting. Apart from those two, have yet to see a romance as good as Peter and Raimi Mary Jane.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

the best love interest in marvel was cap and agent carter which is ironic as they only had 1 movie and 1 scene together

I can think of 2 big reasons why that relationship worked 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jaxon5 said:

Yeah they were overly confident. Surprised they didn't make any adjustments at the very least when Ms Marvel released. They could have advertised her as a side character rather than a main lead and just marketing the film as Captain Marvel 2. 

it was at least called Captain Marvel 2 in some markets. Still bombed 

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

Love and Thunder, No Way Home and Eternals.

MOM and Volume 3 also have romance, but it's tragic, so yeah, no kisses. Next one: Fantastic Four ✌️

Was on holiday this weekend.

Good hold for Deadpool & Wolverine, similar to the UK hold. I’m hoping It Ends With Us dethrones it next weekend though. 

Underwhelming for Trap and bombs away for Harold and the Purple Crayon. 

24 minutes ago, John Marston said:

it was at least called Captain Marvel 2 in some markets. Still bombed 

They also very clearly just had no faith in the execution of the "Captain Marvel 2" aspects of the film given how those were pretty clearly gutted to get down to a hyper slim runtime. "It's wacky" being the initial distinguishing elevator pitch voiced doesn't fully square with the whole "Carol realizes she accidentally completely destroyed Kree society and is their omega man" main plot. The villain didn't work and her grand plan is clearly cut into ribbons. 

There's a criticism to be made of CM2's leaning into ms. marvel but that's also clearly not an independent variable from perceived execution or at least the way to raise the films floor. They probably underestimated the lack of CM2 inertia (seeing how the teaser sidelines Larson) but marvel's right that she's a fun character even if it's not attracting audience interest. You can't pivot into the stuff you're running away from. It would be interesting to see how the movie's marketing might have changed if they brought Jude Law back (so, even if that plot failed you at least had some star power around it). 

And the problem with not trying to sell Ms. Marvel/Photon? is Marvel clearly was still planning on making a young avengers movie and had initially planned to already tease it at the end of AM3. If you're making that movie, it really does behoove you to try and establish kamala as a main character instead of just a sidekick in a middling movie. 

• Like 1

Yeah some of the best standalone marvel movies have solid romance components. And Wanda/Vision stuff was some of the best parts of CW and IW despite not taking much runtime. Regardless of protagonist’s gender (or that of the love interest for that matter) it’s a relatable way to quickly create emotional investment, show more sides of the characters, and add different kind of stakes than “87 trigillion people will die.”   

When executed decently, of course.   

It’s a bit of a lost art for them now, but it will be important for FF so we’ll see

Edited by Cooper Legion
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric is Trapped said:

Moderation

You're right that "WOMEN NEED A LOVE INTEREST" sounds as a sexist statement. However, it's true that a lot of female audience like romance.

Superhero movies are action movies, which is a genre that many women are not very interested. So, if you want to attract female audience, you have to add something that will appeal to women (female leads don't seem to do that for action movies).

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1