kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

Schools start mid to late August in most states especially the south, east and Midwest. 

Is DPW kid/college kid dependent? Barbie seemed to slow down last year. 

15 minutes ago, todos said:

Schools start mid to late August in most states especially the south, east and Midwest. 

Is DPW kid/college kid dependent? Barbie seemed to slow down last year. 

Broward County in Florida is starting next week Monday and Miami Dade is on Thursday (Bizarre) and those are the two biggest school districts in the state, to just confirm that school is starting to kick in. 

There were definitely a lot of teenagers and tweens in my showing, for the size of the weekends and weekdays this movie I imagine it needs that audience to carry it to the heights it's seeing. All of the viral stuff isn't just millennials that's for sure. And I do know that quite a few theaters are really lax with that ID check, especially when it can make them some money. This isn't hard fact this is all just personal observation. 

And yeah same as Barbie pretty much, I expect it to see the same late legs weakness. After weekend 3 I'm going to switch from Jurassic to Barbie and see which one it's keeping pace with on percentage drops up until Labor Day to confirm my theory though.

Edited by wattage

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

No it doesn’t. That announcement came out of nowhere and there’s only one movie building directly into it. I mean it’s going to work in their favor but RDJ as Doom is going to have as much build up as like Ultron. Not Thanos or even Loki (who was at least the antagonist of one movie prior)

I think there's way more hype for Avengers 5 and 6 than there was before.

Fanboys are split about RDJ but  casuals are back on board 100%.

Now it just comes down to execution.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

He's saying $660-680M for IO2 and $650M+ for Deadpool which is really close to $653.4M so let's just say he thinks both will beat JW

IO2 has no chance of $680m with kids going back to school very soon.

Back to school shifts the grosses weekdays to weekends more than really hurting weekly gross, I wouldn’t worry about it much. It ends with us and aliens will both squeeze screens a little, then it’s largely free sailing for two weeks including Labor Day  re-expansion/bump

• Like 1

On the topic of The Marvels flopping, I think a big part of it was that audiences were done with excessive silliness after Love and Thunder and Quantumania. Many kids that grew up watching the MCU are now adults and want those films to be more serious, kinda like the issue Star Wars has. Deadpool and Wolverine is funny but it is adult funny. The Marvels is funny but it is kids funny. I think Marvel Studios should be careful not to go too far in either direction and they should also adjust their release schedule so that they don't overwhelm audiences with too many lighthearted films or more serious films in a row.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Cooper Legion said:

Back to school shifts the grosses weekdays to weekends more than really hurting weekly gross, I wouldn’t worry about it much. It ends with us and aliens will both squeeze screens a little, then it’s largely free sailing for two weeks including Labor Day  re-expansion/bump

Nah it does

"Sorry I can't watch DPW, I gotta study for a math test" ;)

9 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

This is true to a degree but there is still the element of kids and teenagers and college students wanting entertainment during long summer days that no longer exists during school. A group might go rewatch Deadpool 2,3,4 times because they have the time, it's easy to coordinate with everyone free 7 days a week and it's hot and what else are they gonna do vs when school has started they're more busy and less inclined to just randomly decide to go to the movies. 

If it was as simple as just shifting the money distribution and it being more centered on weekends (and discount Tuesday) then studios wouldn't be so eager to get those prime summer days and would just drop their movies any time of year. Same for the winter holidays. There is definitely extra business that comes in that will be lost once a big demo has less free time. 

It's not gonna kill the movie definitely not. But that's the difference between beating JW or not beating it when we're talking about it coming in super close. 

Edited by wattage
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alexandros said:

On the topic of The Marvels flopping, I think a big part of it was that audiences were done with excessive silliness after Love and Thunder and Quantumania. Many kids that grew up watching the MCU are now adults and want those films to be more serious, kinda like the issue Star Wars has. Deadpool and Wolverine is funny but it is adult funny. The Marvels is funny but it is kids funny. I think Marvel Studios should be careful not to go too far in either direction and they should also adjust their release schedule so that they don't overwhelm audiences with too many lighthearted films or more serious films in a row.

I’ve been thinking a lot about this when it comes to Young Avengers, for example. When you stop and think, there isn’t really either from Marvel Studios or any blockbusters really directly made towards a teenager audience for a while now. The closest I can think of are the Spider-Man films, but even that would be a stretch. There isn’t an Euphoria equivalent aimed at teenagers for a good while when it comes to blockbusters. Of course that teenagers and young adults still gravitate towards the MCU, but I’d argue that it’s a generation very much more connected to streaming than actually going to the movies.

Why do I even bring up the Young Avengers, one might ask? Well, the Young Avengers were created in the 00s during a time that there wasn’t any Avengers and who created them? Famously 00s teenage TV show screenwriter Allan Heinberg, from The O.C.’s fame. If the Young Avengers are coming either to the big screen or as a Disney+ series, it stands to reason that it needs to be a show aimed towards teenagers. Not adults, not kids. Teenagers. How do you pull off that, I don’t know.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think there's way more hype for Avengers 5 and 6 than there was before.

Fanboys are split about RDJ but  casuals are back on board 100%.

Now it just comes down to execution.

But the hype is not based on anything they built in this franchise since after Endgame

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

But the hype is not based on anything they built in this franchise since after Endgame

Yeah it’s only based on everything they built since 2008. Wait that’s also wrong, it’s only based on everything they built since 1999.  

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

No Way Home's success was 90% based on nostalgia and crowd pleasing.

31 minutes ago, Alexandros said:

The Marvels might have had a new lease on life had it actually been a great movie with great reviews, which would've helped it overcome the initial jokey joke stigma and given it staying power to make up for its doomed opening weekend. Unfortunately it wasn't, so the word of mouth was toxic and killed it. Thankfully the Captain America 4 trailer is an indication they're relatively grounding the movies back to a human level again and toning down the excessive comedy drastically, and combining that with the possible positive aura it'll absorb from Deadpool 3's success presents a possible bright path forward for that movie and maybe even the franchise, depending on how their Doom stunt plays out.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The Marvels might have had a new lease on life had it actually been a great movie with great reviews, which would've helped it overcome the initial jokey joke stigma and given it staying power to make up for its doomed opening weekend. Unfortunately it wasn't, so the word of mouth was toxic and killed it. Thankfully the Captain America 4 trailer is an indication they're relatively grounding the movies back to a human level again and toning down the excessive comedy drastically, and combining that with the possible positive aura it'll absorb from Deadpool 3's success presents a possible bright path forward for that movie and maybe even the franchise, depending on how their Doom stunt plays out.

The trailer is awful, maybe even worse than The Marvels that at least had some signal of personality. But yes it´s easier to hide awful movies under selfserious tone so they´re probably right to just going back to this.

• Like 1