kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

Just now, baumer said:

I think the marketing geniuses at Universal should add the scene at the end of the movie that people have talked about being upset that it was eliminated  (Twisters)

Then market the hell out of it and get people to come out and see the movie again. It would probably get me back into the theater to see it one more time.

Guess what, the movie is available on digital platforms on August 13. Not even a month in cinemas.

• Sad 2
  • Disbelief 1

7 hours ago, Killimano3 said:

Comparing Ticket Sales in the 2000s is interesting cause once you factor in stuff like 3D/imax/kids tickets etc you find that Avatar, TDK, Spiderman, and Shrek 2 all came in pretty close

yeah, it was eye-opening to see a third party estimate say something like "Spider-Man would have grossed 25% more if it had been released in 2012" simply due to IMAX/PLF/3D increases and without taking inflation into account.  

5 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Here's what I'll say and I've been saying for years now. Cinema-going is for events, and not a casual experience anymore. Adult counter programming doesn't work on the basis that it's something for adults. It needs a bigger hook and none of the flops have had that.

I quite enjoyed The Fall Guy, but it looks like the myriad of Netflix or Apple+ movies we've had in the last 3-4 years. Furiosa obviously a prequel to a mid-level hit from a decade ago, missing the actress that had been such a big hit with audiences in Fury Road, Fly Me To The Moon was literally screaming Amazon streaming movie and the likes of Bikeriders and Horizon would probably have flopped even pre-pandemic.

I'm incredibly surprised with just HOW BIG IO2 is - given Disney's family audiences have become accustomed to waiting for D+, but the other big hits are such clear examples of movies that lose at least half of their effectiveness at home. Whether it's because of the big screen, sound or crowd reactions, you just can't get the same experience for Dune, GxK, Twisters or DP&W at home and people know that. 

Furiosa had that sort of hook (over a third of the film's lifetime domestic revenue came in the form of IMAX/PLF), it was just balanced out by negatives and while the CGI makes the film's visuals weak in comparison to fury road, there's a real combo of scale and quality to the film. I'd argue both Furiosa and Twisters flopping or succeeding both generate easy just so explanations.  

But otherwise that sounds right and it's been pretty disappointing to see. 

40 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Good job @baumer on predicting DP&W would drop less than 59% this weekend. I think this is the part where @HummingLemon496 starts sucking your dick?

All this talking about dick sucking when no one eats ass anymore.

• Haha 5

Insane IO2 hold. Lost over 15% of its theaters and still had best Friday hold of its run by a significant percentage margin. $650m is locked I think.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Gonna get around 627M by the end of the weekend. So yeah, 650M is happening. Jurassic World found dead in a ditch.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think the marketing geniuses at Universal should add the scene at the end of the movie that people have talked about being upset that it was eliminated  (Twisters)

Then market the hell out of it and get people to come out and see the movie again. It would probably get me back into the theater to see it one more time.

Idk why people are upset Speilberg was right

• Like 4

So like...I kinda get the casting decision. But honestly, I'd be curious of the box office in an alternate world where Harold and the Purple Crayon starred an actual child and had Zachary Levi as the dad or uncle or something. Because to quote The Fairly Oddparents, when a little kid is using his imagination to draw stuff with a purple crayon, it's kind of cute. When a grown adult does it, it's just plain creepy.

• Like 5

The latest from M. Night Shyamalan gets a C+ CinemaScore, which is the same grade as Old, and a half degree better than his previous thriller, Knock at the Cabin (C CinemaScore). Of the filmmaker’s highest CinemaScores at the B.O., it’s his 6x Oscar nominated 1999 opus, The Sixth Sense. PostTrak for Trap is much lower at 2 1/2 stars and 66%. When you swing for the fences with movies that have twists like Shyamalan, sometimes you hit it out of the park, and sometimes you divide.

Another high concept movie only to divide the crowd instead of being a crowd-pleaser concurrently.  

1 minute ago, Eric is Trapped said:

So like...I kinda get the casting decision. But honestly, I'd be curious of the box office in an alternate world where Harold and the Purple Crayon starred an actual child and had Zachary Levi as the dad or uncle or something. Because to quote The Fairly Oddparents, when a little kid is using his imagination to draw stuff with a purple crayon, it's kind of cute. When a grown adult does it, it's just plain creepy.

They started the trailer with the vintage animated style and it made me wonder why they didn't just decide to do the movie like that.

Lower opening day than trap despite the fact that the trailer viewership was really high for trap and much better than old I’m really not sure what happened here is it even gonna do 15 million at this rate