kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers [Aug 05 - Aug 08, 2024] | Wednesday | 9.87M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 2.64M TWISTERS | 1.83M DESPICABLE ME IV

35 minutes ago, cannastop said:

40% drop from Tuesday, yikes. This movie is fading to oblivion.

Tuesday drop is irrelevant. Wed/Mon hold is more important. Still, with numbers this small, it doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Always thought Wednesday was discount day in Mexico and last I checked that was part of North America.

By box office convention, the North American (aka the domestic) market is the US + Canada. We share trailers, release dates, etc as a single market. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

They better fudge it if it's close.

If it's at 999,999.99 or something stupid then either they need to round it or I'm just gonna call it 55 because they can't stop me lol 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I would not say post Covid. A lot more people were taking Covid extremely seriously still then and just about all theaters mandated masking which also pushed some movie goers away. Wasn't there a pretty massive wave right when it released? I'd argue The Batman and especially Strange 2 were the first true post Covid mega blockbuster releases.

On this point, here's are most of the NRG "comfortable going to theaters" anecdotes dropped in the trades.

• * March 2020 -  57% said they were comfortable going to theaters 
  • * Feb 2021 - a "pandemic record" of 47% 
  • * Feb 8 , 53% 2021
  • * March 2021 - (GvK) - 57% (25% "very comfortable")
  • * May 20th - 70%
  • * July 11th 2021 (Black Widow) - 81% local maximum
  • * August 4th 2021 (TSS) [implicitly mid/high 60s] "Despite comfort levels for moviegoing being down over the last three weeks per NRG, it’s not all doom-and-gloom with such parameters on par with mid-May,"
  • * Shang-Chi - 66-68%
  • * October 2021 (Bond) 73%
  • * December 2021 (on an article about NWH) - 74% of those polled by NRG said that they were very or somewhat comfortable going to a movie theater right now, which was two points below the October/November average (76%).
  • * In January 2022, 65% 
  • * March 2022 - 80% (Batman)
  • * June 2022 - 88% (Strange released in May)

Weirdly, I wonder if this means covid hurt NWH's legs more than its opening. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

On this point, here's are most of the NRG "comfortable going to theaters" anecdotes dropped in the trades.

• * March 2020 -  57% said they were comfortable going to theaters 
  • * Feb 2021 - a "pandemic record" of 47% 
  • * Feb 8 , 53% 2021
  • * March 2021 - (GvK) - 57% (25% "very comfortable")
  • * May 20th - 70%
  • * July 11th 2021 (Black Widow) - 81% local maximum
  • * August 4th 2021 (TSS) [implicitly mid/high 60s] "Despite comfort levels for moviegoing being down over the last three weeks per NRG, it’s not all doom-and-gloom with such parameters on par with mid-May,"
  • * Shang-Chi - 66-68%
  • * October 2021 (Bond) 73%
  • * December 2021 (on an article about NWH) - 74% of those polled by NRG said that they were very or somewhat comfortable going to a movie theater right now, which was two points below the October/November average (76%).
  • * In January 2022, 65% 
  • * March 2022 - 80% (Batman)
  • * June 2022 - 88% (Strange released in May)

Weirdly, I wonder if this means covid hurt NWH's legs more than its opening. 

You have to remember 10% of the North american market ( Canada) was pretty much shut down for movies throughout most 2021 as well and a lot of people where not comfy going to theaters much here vs the USA (while you guys partying it up we were mostly in lockdowns till about june 2021 lol) 

Also for No way Home Quebec was shut down and Ontario was closed a week into NWH as well which took quite a few million off its gross as the film had a crazy opening.

NWH I think had the 2nd largest opening day in Canadian history and would have grossed an insane total in canada as well. 

So the omicron wave 100% hurt No way home, but the fact it had such a huge opening here showed No way home hype was so crazy nothing would have stopped its crazy opening. 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

IO2 would need 5.5% drop or better today to keep the streak alive. Unfortunately, it has only held that well for July 4th. Wonder if the EA showings for the Blake Lively movie could blunt Thursday impact?

9 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

IO2 would need 5.5% drop or better today to keep the streak alive. Unfortunately, it has only held that well for July 4th. Wonder if the EA showings for the Blake Lively movie could blunt Thursday impact?

I know this won't happen, but Elemental last year actually had increases on some of its Thursdays and I'm not sure why that happened...

Edited by cannastop

21 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

IO2 might have a boost today and tomorrow with the digital & Blu-ray release as well as D23 expo event.

Theater Counts for August 9

Movie Distributor Theaters Previous
Theaters
Change
Deadpool & Wolverine Walt Disney 4,330 4,230 +100
Twisters Universal Pictures 3,662 4,009       -347
It Ends With Us Sony Pictures 3,611   New
Harold and the Purple Crayon Sony Pictures 3,325 3,325  
Trap Warner Bros. 3,181 3,181  
Borderlands Lionsgate 3,125   New
Despicable Me 4 Universal Pictures 3,006 3,369 -363
Inside Out 2 Walt Disney 2,200 2,615 -415
Cuckoo Neon 1,503   New
Longlegs Neon 1,310 2,150 -840
A Quiet Place: Day One Paramount Pictures 468 1,039 -571
Didi (弟弟) Focus Features 200 47 +153
Fly Me to the Moon Sony Pictures 193 420 -227
The Fabulous Four Bleecker Street 157 920 -763
Bad Boys: Ride or Die Sony Pictures 152 437 -285
Sound of Hope: The Story of Possum Trot Angel Studios 60 81 -21
Oddity IFC Films 15 44 -29
Ghostlight IFC Films 13 16 -3
Edited by rihrey

Thursday could surprise us. It’s doubtful but not impossible. But this is still a win regardless. What an insane phenomenon for Disney though. 

oh, and by the way. The Lion King is the highest grossing film made by Disney proper (so no other studios like Marvel or Lucasfilm which aren’t actually Disney proper. Inside Out 2 has a good chance of taking that crown as well.