AniNate

08/09 WEEKEND: DP&W 53.8, IEWU 50, Borderlands 8.6 ​💣💣💣

39 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

This will be like Black Panther's 2 month long journey from 699 to 700

I mean, probably not? 99% of cases it will either miss entirely or do the final mil in just a few days

39 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Also DPW DOM-OW will basically double DS2 DOM-OW, that's just embarrassing for DS2

Yeah for sure. Multiverse saga post OWeek:

BW 78M

SC 115M 

Et 73.5M

NWH 429M

DS2 180M

L&T 156M

BP2 233M

QM 79M

gotg3 206M

CM2 30M (lmfao)

DPW approx 355M

Edited by Cooper Legion
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

Yeah for sure. Multiverse saga post OWeek:

BW 78M

SC 115M 

Et 73.5M

NWH 429M

DS2 180M

L&T 156M

BP2 233M

QM 79M

gotg3 206M

CM2 30M (lmfao)

DPW approx 355M

By OW I meant OWeekend not OWeek

In terms of post-OW it's

Black Widow - 103M

Shang-Chi - 150M

Eternals - 93M

No Way Home - 544M

Doctor Strange MoM - 224M

Love and Thunder - 199M

Black Panther 2 - 272M

Ant-Man 3 - 109M

GOTG 3 - 241M

The Marvels - 38.5M* (bruh)

DPW - 444M?

Spoiler

* = CM1 is 272M post OW

Edited by HummingLemon496

Even with super low expectations I thought Borderlands was awful.  Every joke falls flat, the action looks bad for a big budget film and it's not "so bad, its good" that'll make it a cult classic.  It's this generation's The Adventures of Pluto Nash.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

The game isn’t even out. The premise sounds dumb as fuck, there is no story, only a premise. That’s how Borderlands happened.

Borderlands had story, characters and lore though.

4 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Borderlands had story, characters and lore though.

Yes, just like let’s say Far Cry does, or let’s not even go that far, just like Assassin’s Creed does. My point is that there isn’t enough meat and lore there with an enough sizable following that would justify a film, maybe generously a Netflix / Prime series but even that would be pushing. My whole point is that you need to understand and be passionate about the lore and mythology for something like this to soar even when you do have a truly recognizable IP with a vast mythology like Assassin’s Creed, I don’t think anyone has ever asked for a Borderlands 4, never mind a Borderlands film. I mean I’m sure that there are a lot of Borderlands fans out there but it was never a majorly popular franchise.

My whole gist is that Borderlands is just this year’s Red. That could make some bank in 2010 (and even that is debatable), but in 2024 it sounds like burning money. You don’t use IP as an vehicle for your career, it’s the other way around.

23 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Yes, just like let’s say Far Cry does, or let’s not even go that far, just like Assassin’s Creed does. My point is that there isn’t enough meat and lore there with an enough sizable following that would justify a film, maybe generously a Netflix / Prime series but even that would be pushing. My whole point is that you need to understand and be passionate about the lore and mythology for something like this to soar even when you do have a truly recognizable IP with a vast mythology like Assassin’s Creed, I don’t think anyone has ever asked for a Borderlands 4, never mind a Borderlands film. I mean I’m sure that there are a lot of Borderlands fans out there but it was never a majorly popular franchise.

My whole gist is that Borderlands is just this year’s Red. That could make some bank in 2010 (and even that is debatable), but in 2024 it sounds like burning money. You don’t use IP as an vehicle for your career, it’s the other way around.

issue a movie like this would cost 150 million today lol 

I'd like to point out that this movie was basically doomed the moment casting started and it was very clear they'd utterly botch Borderlands. Bob Hoskins as Mario was better casting than anyone actually in Borderlands.

No, that's not saying Cate Blanchett is untalented. But why take an ingenue role and turn it into female Wolverine?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Take that as you will.

I'll just say this. If he is right, then this could be an amazing sign for 2024 to really catch up with 2023's $9B total domestic gross. 

Despite turning out solid hits last year (The Equalizer 3, The Nun II, Paw Patrol: The Mighty Movie, Saw X), last September was not that good. No film made more than $35M on its opening weekend and not one grossed more than $100M domestically. 

If Beetlejuice Beetlejuice opens with more than $100M (I would not be surprised at this point), that would be an absolutely phenomenal start to the month and we have two animated films (Transformers One and The Wild Robot) that I think will be much bigger and much more four-quadrant than Paw Patrol 2. 

One good month may not completely make 2024 on track to beat 2023 for the whole year, but if this is a preview of what's to come in the fall, we're gonna be in for quite a ride. 

Edited by Ryan C
  • Like 1

Lionsgate is having a truly horrendous year. Borderlands is missing $20M total at this point and it's unlikely The Crow performs any better. Nothing on their slate for the rest of the year looks like it has a ceiling over $30M total either.

• Like 1