Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

Just now, kayumanggi said:

This is very impressive to me. I never thought this would cross 200m let alone finish beyond 260m. It survived DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE and thrived along with it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kon said:

My point was that streaming isn't so profitable for studios, so expectatives on that covering a smaller box office seems a bit unreal.

Now, I agree we will have another Alien movie. I'm just not sure the studio will be happy enough to not realize another complete change of direction.

That said, Romulus seems more auto-conclusive. So, they may not need a direct continuation.

Streaming still make money for films in the backend, especially now that the studios are selling streaming licensing rights for movies to other platforms again (to Netflix) it just isn't enough to cover an entire movie budgeted like a theatrical release making 0 real dollars in the box office. That strategy was never viable for a traditional media company and it bizarrely took quite a while for studios to realize this lol. 

Also it seems the plan was probably always to just let this movie be a new entry to re-familiarize audiences with Aliens in the modern day, not so much focused on having a direct sequel but just injecting some new life into Aliens the brand. The lack of a newer younger audience isnt encouraging very long term but the story of this movie isn't completely written yet. Like someone else said, it can get a wider audience in the years to come. As long as it performs well now to justify another Aliens movie then it's all good, and it will do well based on the current numbers. 

Edited by wattage
  • Like 1

Excluding the first two movies from each series, rank your top 3 from the Alien/Terminator/Predator movies.

Example:

1) Prey

2) Alien Romulus

3) Alien Resurrection

Edited by grey ghost

3 hours ago, Kon said:

The issue is Ridley movies were too expensive while the box office doesn't justify it. These likely reached breakeven point, but the studios clearly expected more than that. So, there is no way they continue with it especially after the drop from Prometheus to Covenant.

That said, I'm not sure studios will be happy with Romulus at the end. The budget for Romulus is less than Covenant, but not really A LOT less. I think Romulus will need better legs.

I think the direction they initially took was the right one though. "They went searching for our beginning but what they found could be our end' but the film ended just as it seemed the answers were coming, leading to disappointment. When Covenant's trailer didn't sell itself as a direct sequel, people understandably had even less interest. 

Had they ended Prometheus with them actually going to and destroying the engineers city like we get a glimpse of in Covenant, it would have felt more complete and likely performed alot better. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wattage said:

Streaming still make money for films in the backend, especially now that the studios are selling streaming licensing rights for movies to other platforms again (to Netflix) it just isn't enough to cover an entire movie budgeted like a theatrical release making 0 real dollars in the box office. That strategy was never viable for a traditional media company and it bizarrely took quite a while for studios to realize this lol. 

Also it seems the plan was probably always to just let this movie be a new entry to re-familiarize audiences with Aliens in the modern day, not so much focused on having a direct sequel but just injecting some new life into Aliens the brand. The lack of a newer younger audience isnt encouraging very long term but the story of this movie isn't completely written yet. Like someone else said, it can get a wider audience in the years to come. As long as it performs well now to justify another Aliens movie then it's all good, and it will do well based on the current numbers. 

Yeah. This. Exactly this.

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Excluding the first two movies from each series, rank your top 3 from the Alien/Terminator/Predator movies.

Example:

1) Prey

2) Alien Romulus

3) Alien Resurrection

They're all Alien movies for me. Sequels to Terminator and Predator are brutal. Prey is fine but pretty dull.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Example:

1) Prey

2) Alien Romulus

3) Alien Resurrection

Not seeing Romulus until later today. Also haven't seen any Terminator movie past 2. So...

1. Prey

2. Alien 3

3. Predators

I'm going to assume Romulus will join the group here, because Predators is only just okay in my book.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Example:

1) Prey

2) Alien Romulus

3) Alien Resurrection

1. Prometheus

2. Alien 3

3. Predators

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 1
  • Heart 1

18m off of 6.5m in previews is a massive fan rush and not much else.

Im taking under 100m.  That true Friday is under Halloween Ends and it's not much better than a true Friday Covenant had.