Krissykins

Weekend Thread August 23rd-25th

34 minutes ago, John Marston said:

This is why the “everything should be released theatrically” mindset is stupid. These movies shouldn’t be taking away screens from stuff people want to see

There’s way too many screens in US, unless a 200M opener or so are being released, they have the space to screen whatever movies they want and give people the option to choose what to watch.

Theaters don’t really need to just force the same 4 movies in everyone throats, this is insane.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Eric Ripley said:

Will say that Blink Twice's potential was kneecapped when the producers decided to name the movie Blink Twice. Like I don't think Pussy Island is that great a title, but at least it's memorable. What the hell does "blink twice" even mean?

100% agree. Pussy Island should've been the title. 

Though I think Amazon/MGM should be more at fault here. They just didn't do much to really make people aware of this movie. Outside of the trailer playing in front of almost every movie for a while, I can't see how the average person would be aware of it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

There’s way too many screens in US, unless a 200M opener or so are being released, they have the space to screen whatever movies they want and give people the option to choose what to watch.

Theaters don’t really need to just force the same 4 movies in everyone throats, this is insane.

Personally I would've liked Didi and Sing Sing to take some more of these screens

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

When is the last time a studio released two IP-driven aspiring franchises in the same month and both of them failed so spectacularly both critically (sub-20% RT scores for both!) and financially (neither Borderlands or The Crow are hitting $20M totals)? Lionsgate has to be kicking themselves for letting the Knives Out franchise slip through their fingers to Netflix.

Blink Twice should hit the top 5 for the weekend at least, not a breakout of course but could've been worse. I assume changing the title from Pussy Island was the only way it was getting a major theatrical release...will be interesting to see how handicapped the theater count and marketing push for Nightbitch will be all because of the title later this year.

• Like 1

Just now, AniNate said:

Personally I would've liked Didi and Sing Sing to take some more of these screens

Yeah, but both Focus Features and A24 are slowly expanding the movies as a way to build buzz and good word-of-mouth so when they do open wide, they make the most amount of money possible. 

I wish both movies were in thousands of theaters right now (I haven't seen them yet), but it seems that their strategy of slowly increasing its theater count is working. 

Just now, Ryan C said:

Yeah, but both Focus Features and A24 are slowly expanding the movies as a way to build buzz and good word-of-mouth so when they do open wide, they make the most amount of money possible. 

I wish both movies were in thousands of theaters right now (I haven't seen them yet), but it seems that their strategy of slowly increasing its theater count is working. 

Is it? Both their PTAs dropped under $3,000 last weekend, if your movie does that while still in limited release it's unlikely your audience will expand much further.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Is it? Both their PTAs dropped under $3,000 last weekend, if your movie does that while still in limited release it's unlikely your audience will expand much further.

I mean more in the sense that both haven't lost any momentum as of yet. 

Didi has been increasing every single weekend despite the PTA going down and Sing Sing has been able to crawl past $1M despite dropping more than 50% after its first weekend. 

The bottom could absolutely fall out on both of these films, but it's looking like that won't happen at least right now. 

I imagine Lionsgate is headed for a round of layoffs by the end of the year with the awful 2024 they're having, even if a number of these movies were acquisitions that they didn't actually make.

There's a strong chance The Strangers: Chapter 1 ends up their biggest movie of the year. The Killer's Game, Never Let Go, and Flight Risk all look like more of the star-driven B-movies that seem to belong on Netflix and not a movie screen in 2024. Megalopolis is also unlikely to turn all the controversy surrounding it into ticket sales either.

Despite being a down week this should still be a positive comp on last year thanks to the holdovers, though probably not at the 40% clip necessary to catch up to the last calendar year by December. If all goes well, Labor Day weekend should hopefully be the last bad one this year has the rest of the way.

32 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Apparently they keep Coraline and actually are expanding it? Very curious about the hold, it did great on weekdays.

Not apparently. They are. I’m seated for it right now. Only a few minutes until the show starts.

• Astonished 1

11 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Despite being a down week this should still be a positive comp on last year thanks to the holdovers, though probably not at the 40% clip necessary to catch up to the last calendar year by December. If all goes well, Labor Day weekend should hopefully be the last bad one this year has the rest of the way.

I'm hoping we're able to hit $100M for the entire weekend. 

That probably won't happen as none of the new releases are looking like they will break out, but it would be nice to keep the streak of $100M+ weekends going ever since Bad Boys: Ride or Die opened up. 

41 minutes ago, Eric Ripley said:

Not apparently. They are. I’m seated for it right now. Only a few minutes until the show starts.

They’re holding it here as well, seriously considering going for the third time. 

Enjoy the movie!

2 hours ago, Eric Ripley said:

Fun fact: The Crow has been in development since 2008 (original plan was for this to star Mark Wahlberg!). That's more than 15 years of projects coming and going, directors moving in and out, actors getting shuffled and removed. Was all of this really worth it? Was it? Was it really?

My favourite unmade Crow project was The Crow Lazarus which was supposed to star DMX and Eminem as rival crows.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Blink Twice should hit the top 5 for the weekend at least, not a breakout of course but could've been worse. I assume changing the title from Pussy Island was the only way it was getting a major theatrical release...will be interesting to see how handicapped the theater count and marketing push for Nightbitch will be all because of the title later this year.

They should have leaned in and been playful about the censorship, still changing the title but being closer to what they really wanted to call it. Maybe "Kitty Kat" Island but stylized like that with quotation marks for all the posters/ads, and make sure the title always gets said in the trailers/spots with a knowing smirk. That gets attention and starts a whole narrative to parlay into hype: "You know what we really want to call it but we're just not allowed! Come see the movie title that they wanted to censor!"

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

They should have leaned in and been playful about the censorship, still changing the title but being closer to what they really wanted to call it. Maybe "Kitty Kat" Island but stylized like that with quotation marks for all the posters/ads, and make sure the title always gets said in the trailers/spots with a knowing smirk. That gets attention and starts a whole narrative to parlay into hype: "You know what we really want to call it but we're just not allowed! Come see the movie title that they wanted to censor!"

Shades of:

Movie Poster BLOCKERS 2 Sided ORIGINAL Advance 27x40 JOHN CENA LESLIE MANN

Folks are much less uptight about the word today than they were 14 years ago but when Kick-Ass was released in 2010 there were reports of theaters censoring the title or refusing to display posters for it in their lobbies. Unlikely that would be the case now beyond the most sanctimonious of theater owners.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eric Ripley said:

Will say that Blink Twice's potential was kneecapped when the producers decided to name the movie Blink Twice. Like I don't think Pussy Island is that great a title, but at least it's memorable. What the hell does "blink twice" even mean?

I assumed it’s because of the “code” that some women would use to signal if they were in trouble, without giving themselves away or increasing the risk by calling for help. 

I could be wrong, but that’s always what I’ve just assumed it was a reference to, given the plot. 

3 hours ago, cookieleeann said:

A poster on box office Reddit said D&W got back some Dolby screens this weekend.

I just checked by local theaters to double check and yeah, I see some Dolby and 3D showings set up for today through Sunda

Aliens and Deadpool have been sharing since release, at least at my local AMC they were. Cinemark as well. 

• Like 1

Channing Tatum is great and a draw, but like everyone nowadays he's a draw with the right role and persona. Nobody wants to see lovable himbo Channing Tatum as evil tech bro billionaire or a rocket scientist. Just not the right fits this summer, even if I'm sure he's good in Blink Twice. I'm glad he did a role like this for the range and the art of it, to be clear. I'm just saying that discussions about draw power need to be nuanced.

• Like 3