Eric the Marxist

Labor Day Weekend Thread | Reagan 525K previews, AfrAId 400K

I think the thing with Mary Poppins Returns is that, while it’s a sequel to the original 1964 Disney film, nowadays audience (including kids) weren’t really that familiar with that brand as much as they are with the “The Lion King” brand. Mary Poppins is beloved, that’s for sure…just not super, super popular to a today’s audience that would have propelled the sequel to say…$500-600M DOM, rather than the very respectable $171M it actually ended with.

The Lion King brand is still ongoing in a healthy manner, even with its downs. With numerous tv-shows over the years like The Lion Guard in the mid to late 2010’s. And with the original 1994 animated movie celebrating its 30th anniversary, including a very small theatrical re-release it got in July. People still have a love for that 90’s classic. But….the original TLK still hasn’t gone to over $1B WW lifetime gross….yet. Possibly a future theatrical re-release might finally push it, but it remains to be seen when it happens. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

19 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

It finally happened guys! 

Inside Out 2 has finally dethroned 2019's The Lion King worldwide! The debate is finally over! 

Inside Out 2: $1.666B

The Lion King: $1.663B

World peace has finally been achieved.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

It finally happened guys! 

Inside Out 2 has finally dethroned 2019's The Lion King worldwide! The debate is finally over! 

Inside Out 2: $1.666B

The Lion King: $1.663B

a person is holding a bottle of champagne with a skull on it

Mary Poppins is incredibly popular just didn't need a sequel.

The lion king is still popular and loved and people would love a sequel but in the animated form, actually would break records.

Live actions are a throwaway nostalgia experience. You watch them to relive something in the past in a different way with people around you (probably you didn't watch when these movies you love where released) and then you forget about them.

No one cares about the live action of the Lion King. They love the animated Simba, not that CGI thing. This is why alice 2, maleficient 2 etc.. all flopped despite a successfull first chapter. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Brady Corbet has come so far from holding leading man duties as a kid in this bomb that just celebrated its 20th anniversary:

Thunderbirds (2004) - IMDb

I’m one of the 8 people who saw this in theaters and I have no idea why. I think for a friend’s birthday party? All I remember was that Vanessa Hudgens’ character could control scorpions or something?

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Is anyone else getting "nonevent" vibes from Venom 3? I dunno, the previous one actually had a hook bringing on a big star ala Woody Harrelson, genuine enthusiasm for this seems low though being the first PG-13 tentpole in a while and a release right before Halloween might prevent too much bleeding.

yes Venom 3 will have a sizable drop. Venom 2 had Carnage and NWH hype helping it 

• Like 1

This weekend overall is obviously not a great weekend. Labor Day weekend without any releases of significance.

However, to put into perspective of how the year has gone, this three day weekend is actually about on par with the opening May weekend with Fall Guy. It'll probably beat it out with actuals. It's also significantly better than the post Memorial Day weekend.

This might end up being the worst weekend between now and the end of the year. There's a couple of dead spots that might fall short, but I think there's enough tentpoles on second and third weekends that should help carry those periods.

5 minutes ago, Eric Ripley said:

I’m one of the 8 people who saw this in theaters and I have no idea why. I think for a friend’s birthday party? All I remember was that Vanessa Hudgens’ character could control scorpions or something?

I never saw Thunderbirds, in fact all I remember of its existence were that there were signs for it around Universal Studios around the time it was released lol. To this day I'm still not convinced it's a real movie.