Eric the Marxist

Labor Day Weekend Thread | Reagan 525K previews, AfrAId 400K

Worth noting that inside out 2 is also now the highest grossing Pixar movie worldwide even adjusted for inflation. That's just a very high bar to set for any animated movie, even something like a lion king sequel.

I mean my biggest issue with seeing Moana 2 reaching 600M is just how unprecedented that gross is, especially for animated films. We've only had two animated movies reach it, and both are Pixar films. And I feel like Pixar is a much stronger brand name in terms of bringing in adult audiences that aren't all that into Disney or animated movies in general. This is anecdotal, but my mom hasn't seen a movie from Disney Animation proper since Frozen came out, and she was super pumped for Inside Out 2, and saw Toy Story 4 the day it came out. My dad watches Monsters Inc or any of the Toy Story movies or Inside Out whenever they are on cable, and the last Disney Animation film he's seen is probably...I dunno, when he took me and my siblings to Lilo and Stitch?

I also feel like streaming performance isn't the end all be all? Like Cars sold more copies on DVD than The Incredibles, but their sequel performances are night and day. And even if Cars 2 was actually good, I can't picture 600M...or whatever the equivalent of 600M in 2011 money would be. I dunno. I feel like even 400M would be a crazy overperformance for Moana 2, and I hope people aren't crying if it doesn't even reach that.

• Like 13

16 minutes ago, Eric Deetz said:

I mean my biggest issue with seeing Moana 2 reaching 600M is just how unprecedented that gross is, especially for animated films. We've only had two animated movies reach it, and both are Pixar films. And I feel like Pixar is a much stronger brand name in terms of bringing in adult audiences that aren't all that into Disney or animated movies in general. This is anecdotal, but my mom hasn't seen a movie from Disney Animation proper since Frozen came out, and she was super pumped for Inside Out 2, and saw Toy Story 4 the day it came out. My dad watches Monsters Inc or any of the Toy Story movies or Inside Out whenever they are on cable, and the last Disney Animation film he's seen is probably...I dunno, when he took me and my siblings to Lilo and Stitch?

I also feel like streaming performance isn't the end all be all? Like Cars sold more copies on DVD than The Incredibles, but their sequel performances are night and day. And even if Cars 2 was actually good, I can't picture 600M...or whatever the equivalent of 600M in 2011 money would be. I dunno. I feel like even 400M would be a crazy overperformance for Moana 2, and I hope people aren't crying if it doesn't even reach that.

Moana 2 also has to deal with way more competition than Inside Out 2 if it wants to hit $600M domestically.

Inside Out 2 only had Despicable Me 4 to deal with and that's it. On the other hand, Moana 2 has to contend with Wicked in November for the female audience and The Lord of the Rings: The War of Rohirrim, Sonic the Hedgehog 3, and Mufasa: The Lion King for just families. That's quite a lot of competition. 

Personally, the only reason why I don't think $600M for Moana 2 is off the table is because of what happened to Inside Out 2. Nobody saw that film overperforming to the degree that it did and in many aspects, Moana 2 is going for practically the exact same audience who showed up to Inside Out 2. So I can't doubt that it might overperform.

Still, we saw what middling reception can do to a Disney animated film, so if Moana 2 isn't at least good, it won't make as much as people are expecting right now. 

• Like 3

Just watched spiderman 3 with my kids and damn I'm sad they never made Spiderman 4 =(

Maybe it's just because I've seen a lot of ACTUALLY terrible superhero movies in the years since but honestly I have no problems with it. Wasn't as bad as people said it was at the time.

Also emo Peter is peak 21st century comedy 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Eric Deetz said:

I mean my biggest issue with seeing Moana 2 reaching 600M is just how unprecedented that gross is, especially for animated films.

Well I'm saying $600M+ for Moana 2 because it's actually a challenge, if I were to say for example $600M+ DOM for Zootopia 2, that would be way too easy

• Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1

49 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Well I'm saying $600M+ for Moana 2 because it's actually a challenge, if I were to say for example $600M+ DOM for Zootopia 2, that would be way too easy

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Just because one animated sequel makes $600m+ DOM doesn't mean all will, for example Incredibles 2 made $600m+ but Frozen 2, Dory, and TS4 did not make that much.

Not even limited to Disney, Shrek 2 made $450m ($750m today), but that didn't mean HTTYD 2 or KFP2 even came close.

• Like 4

Just now, Bob Train said:

Just because one animated sequel makes $600m+ DOM doesn't mean all will, for example Incredibles 2 made $600m+ but Frozen 2, Dory, and TS4 did not make that much.

Not even limited to Disney, Shrek 2 made $450m ($750m today), but that didn't mean HTTYD 2 or KFP2 even came close.

@AgentCooper315 is saying $600M+ for Zoo 2

• Astonished 1

On 9/2/2024 at 12:50 AM, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Let's get to 100 mil, Alien Romulus!

I don't understand. Why is that even a question.

It did $23M in 2nd week for a total of $79M. The least in the worst case one should expect is $102M from there.

However, it will do $13M in third week, for a total of $92M, leaving just $8M to $100M. 

Last year GT managed to do $12M after Labor Day week off $10M. That's just about the minimum one can expect from Alien IMO. I think it should hit $110M, possibly $115M. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't understand. Why is that even a question.

It did $23M in 2nd week for a total of $79M. The least in the worst case one should expect is $102M from there.

However, it will do $13M in third week, for a total of $92M, leaving just $8M to $100M. 

Last year GT managed to do $12M after Labor Day week off $10M. That's just about the minimum one can expect from Alien IMO. I think it should hit $110M, possibly $115M. 

It’s almost preforming identically to Ghostbusters Frozen Empire by this point in its run. I think 110m+ is locked 

Movies don't just make $600m left and right. We got two films this Summer sure, but let's not act like $300m or $400m are not blockbuster numbers. Not against bold box office predictions, but talking like "$600M wouldn't be a challenge for Zootopia 2" just because its predecessor made Inside Out money is... well, reaching, to put it kindly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

It’s almost preforming identically to Ghostbusters Frozen Empire by this point in its run. I think 110m+ is locked 

Neither Turismo nor Frozen Empire had a behemoth like Beetlejuice opening its fourth weekend. If it does play like IT, everything is going to drop hard against it and that will hurt Alien hopes of reaching $110mil

Edited by AniNate