AniNate

JUICY WEEKEND - BJBJ releases with $111M (DHD)

8 hours ago, wattage said:

Seeing good 100m potential next year but maybe I'm overly optimistic. 

Movies I'm 100% sure about: 

Zootopia

Jurassic World

Movies I'm fairly confident in: 

Michael 

Superman

F4

Lilo and Stitch

Movies that I wouldn't be shocked if it happened but currently not betting on it just yet: 

Cap 4 

How To Train Your Dragon

Snow White 

F1

Wicked Part 2 (depends on how Part 1 does)

Movies that I would've said were an easy win a week ago:

Minecraft 

f1?

3 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

28.5m True Friday. If it hits 35m Saturday and 30m Sunday we should be seeing a 106.5m 3-day weekend. Plus the 13m previews

A 30 miillon sunday  is not likely now that we are in Fall mode and not summer. Below true Friday is much more likely.

4 hours ago, Kon said:

Considering the last 100M OW movies have depended on pre-existing popularity, I'm not sure your point is true.

The only exception I think is Secret Life of Pets which might be the easiest marketing pitch for an "original" movie ever

Sales for Beetlejuice are looking very strong for afternoon through evening today near me so it does seem like it's playing like a family film on some level. $100M is happening, even if just barely IMO.

Unsurprisingly terrible for The Front Room considering A24 completely dumped it.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

The only exception I think is Secret Life of Pets which might be the easiest marketing pitch for an "original" movie ever

Did 43M admissions domestically according to AgentCooper315. Insane performance for an original movie. Too bad the sequel dropped so hard.

Edited by HummingLemon496

26 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

With how weak walkups were for both Thursday and Friday night relative to presales, I would expect the pattern to continue with today's "exceptional" sales.

It seems like not a lot of casuals are really interested. Between that, and the so-so CinemaScore, we might be looking at an ugly drop next weekend. Still, Warner will likely be grateful even if this misses the triple digit threshold, especially after their atrocious summer.

Two things about the $41.5M Friday number

1. @justnumbers I didn't take any Xanax, but I'll combat my worriness by focusing on other things I got going on today before either tonight's update or tomorrow morning. Heck, I might even just wait for tomorrow morning to see the actual estimate instead of getting worked up over a number at 10:00PM

2. $41.5M is still slightly under last night's estimate, but I'm still gonna hold out hope for a $100M+ weekend. The signs are pointed for a good Saturday number and we're in September, so the increase from its true Friday to Saturday should be good. These probably aren't the most ideal comps, but both IT and IT: Chapter Two (on the same weekend) had increases from their true Friday to Saturday between 21% and 26%. If Beetlejuice follows those same paths, then $100M should still be in place as long as Sunday is good.

Even if this does miss out on that number, I can't deny that this movie is doing far better than I ever expected. It's a much needed win for Warner Bros. and the box office as we get into the fall season. 

3 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Two things about the $41.5M Friday number

1. @justnumbers I didn't take any Xanax, but I'll combat my worriness by focusing on other things I got going on today before either tonight's update or tomorrow morning. Heck, I might even just wait for tomorrow morning to see the actual estimate instead of getting worked up over a number at 10:00PM

2. $41.5M is still slightly under last night's estimate, but I'm still gonna hold out hope for a $100M+ weekend. The signs are pointed for a good Saturday number and we're in September, so the increase from its true Friday to Saturday should be good. These probably aren't the most ideal comps, but both IT and IT: Chapter Two (on the same weekend) had increases from their true Friday to Saturday between 21% and 26%. If Beetlejuice follows those same paths, then $100M should still be in place as long as Sunday is good.

Even if this does miss out on that number, I can't deny that this movie is doing far better than I ever expected. It's a much needed win for Warner Bros. and the box office as we get into the fall season. 

It’s interesting how weirdly front loaded this is and not front loaded at the same time. I don’t think this will have that harsh of a drop. It doesn’t really have a lot of competition or screen loss.

19 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Between that, and the so-so CinemaScore

A B+ is actually fairly standard for these types of genre comedies. The first Beetlejuice was a B for comparison. Men in Black was a B+, Galaxy Quest was a B, Scary Movie was a B-, Zombieland was A-, the sequel was a B+. Don't think WOM is anything to be too concerned about IMO.

• Thanks 2