AniNate

JUICY WEEKEND - BJBJ releases with $111M (DHD)

Insane sales near me all day today, but again, I've been touting this film and saying how hyped it is, so maybe South Florida is just a bubble. Lots and lots of scene kids down here.

Think with the volume of new releases next weekend and Speak No Evil's tracking, we should still be able to maintain that +45% advantage through there as well, and then a really big gain on 2023 again when Transformers One releases. Mid-September was dead AF last year. Like even this year we haven't had a weekend that bad since February.

Edited by AniNate

1 hour ago, BK007 said:

lol IO2 just dropped off a cliff. 

Been waiting for it to pass JW all this time and right at the final hurdle, it's gone. Lame.

At least it has passed $650m and beaten The Lion King WW as well.

Well it’s not that unexpected but we won’t know if its over until it ends it’s run officially.

50 minutes ago, babz06 said:

I think it’s going to be more front loaded then your expecting. Families have other options like Transformers One and The Wild Robot for younger kids. 

Those are family options but they aren’t going to hurt Beetlejuice that much unless one of them breaks out massively. 

IO2 was hanging on to wide release by a thread as it was, inevitable that it was gonna be the major casualty of a new big tentpole. What is surprising though is how much DM4 dropped off as well. I didn't think theaters would ditch both of them but apparently they decided families would turn out enough for Beetlejuice 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Those are family options but they aren’t going to hurt Beetlejuice that much unless one of them breaks out massively. 

I mean I’m willing to bet wild robot will end up with better scores than Beetlejuice likely making it a better family option. 

TFOne is weird cus from what I’ve heard, even though in most places it’s rated PG, it’s apparently like Kung Fu Panda 2 levels of PG, where it might end up with parental complaints, and that might hurt the movie to a degree so I can’t really say anything of value on it specifically.

Edited by CheeseWizard

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Insane sales near me all day today, but again, I've been touting this film and saying how hyped it is, so maybe South Florida is just a bubble. Lots and lots of scene kids down here.

Considering a sequel to Beetlejuice is opening over 100m I'd say it's a bubble over the whole country 

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Think with the volume of new releases next weekend and Speak No Evil's tracking, we should still be able to maintain that +45% advantage through there as well, and then a really big gain on 2023 again when Transformers One releases. Mid-September was dead AF last year. Like even this year we haven't had a weekend that bad since February.

Some April and May weekends got really bad. Not quite Expend4bles weekend level bad, but pretty close, and probably worse given the expectations for that time of year.

But we shouldn't see anything close to that level for a while.

8 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

So with Scream 6 and now this, post-Wednesday Jenna Ortega is a certified BO pull, right?

Scream 6 is R and won’t pull in teenagers. Beetlejuice might be helped by her in that it is being seen as “Wednesday: The Movie”

17 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

So with Scream 6 and now this, post-Wednesday Jenna Ortega is a certified BO pull, right?

Both are pre -existing franchises so no. Actors have little to no BO pull nowadays, it’s all about franchises. 

Edited by babz06

10 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

I feel like we won't know this for sure until she stars as the main lead actress in another film. I feel like the main reason why Beetlejuice is doing what it's doing is nostalgia for the original, which exit polling seems to confirm since audiences are heavily skewing older.

Her presence could definitely attract some under-25 women who maybe wouldn't have seen it otherwise, but I don't think those make a big impact.

On a side note, I remembered this forum and me having an account on it a couple weeks ago and have since been appearing more consistently since about 2019. :) With the pandemic hitting I pretty much stopped following box office but I got back into it sometime this year.

So...hello again, I guess.

I don't think Thursday preview exit polling is an accurate representation for a PG 13 fantasy opening in September. Kids are in school now and aren't coming out in droves for any movie at that time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

IO2 was hanging on to wide release by a thread as it was, inevitable that it was gonna be the major casualty of a new big tentpole. What is surprising though is how much DM4 dropped off as well. I didn't think theaters would ditch both of them but apparently they decided families would turn out enough for Beetlejuice 

Yeah it really surprised me about DM4, I would think theaters would want to keep options around that are more friendly towards smaller kids 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob Train said:

IO2 could still pass JW when Moana 2 comes out with the double features

That would have to be something Disney decided to do, if they even care. I don't know if they do tbh, and at that point it would be in re-release territory so I think that would be more work on their part 

8 hours ago, vafrow said:

Another darkhorse for the milestone is FNAF2. The first landed $80M with a day and date release on Peacock.

I think the expectation is a decrease of interest for the sequel, as the novelty is gone, but this is a hardcore fanbase. If Universal puts a better product and trailer out there, it can still surprise.

That's the beauty of the calendar next year. There's potential surprises throughout the year. There's room for some films to underperform without dragging the year down with it.

I forgot that was coming out! Yes I'd actually put that in my wouldn't be surprised category, the fans really liked it and I'm sure the movie itself got at least a few more fans. With some better marketing like you said, I definitely think there's room to grow.