AniNate

JUICY WEEKEND - BJBJ releases with $111M (DHD)

6 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Glad that the fall is getting off to a good start at least. Not sure if the season will be as consistent as summer but for now at least things are looking good. 

In the sense of having huge $300mil+ blockbusters every few weeks, no it probably won't be. But this should be one of the stronger September-November stretches in recent memory. Got a bunch more high profile tentpoles to come, and the two animated movies releasing later in the month both have potential to reach modestly large audiences through October and November since there is nothing to stop them until Wicked.

Given the extremely high percentage (73%) of females over 25, does that still point to it being all Ortega? I know I ton of women 30 to 45 years old simply love Beetlejuice because it's Beetlejuice. Ortega is absolutely a huge piece here but that is interesting. Or, do we thing the 73% of females over 25 are going mostly for Ortega?

• Like 3

Just now, AniNate said:

In the sense of having huge $300mil+ blockbusters every few weeks, no it probably won't be. But this should be one of the stronger September-November stretches in recent memory. Got a bunch more high profile tentpoles to come, and the two animated movies releasing later in the month both have potential to reach modestly large audiences through October and November since there is nothing to stop them until Wicked.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The fact that we're having a movie opening to $100M+ on the first weekend of Fall this year when we had none between September and December last year is the best sign you need to show that this Fall will be so much better than last year. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Given the extremely high percentage (73%) of females over 25, does that still point to it being all Ortega? I know I ton of women 30 to 45 years old simply love Beetlejuice because it's Beetlejuice. Ortega is absolutely a huge piece here but that is interesting. Or, do we thing the 73% of females over 25 are going mostly for Ortega?

Well, I do think the previews being a school night factors into it as well. The younger crowd should turn up on the weekend. There's definitely nostalgia for the first movie and cartoon at play as well though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

There’s a Broadway musical that’s pretty popular. Ortega is likely more responsible for a non-teens under 25 percentage.

• Like 2

I can't speak for the younger generation at all, but speaking for the 31 year old millenials, Beetlejuice is like Top Gun level big among anyone with a goth/emo/punk sensibility. This movie is like the Force Awakens for the Hot Topic crowd, which does tend to be women over 25. I've been huge on this movie all year and I suppose I'm the one strawman asshole who might be mildly disappointed - I'm not actually disappointed, this is right in line with expectations, but I'm not remotely surprised either.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

High female turnout because O’Hara, Ryder and Ortega are the true draws. ;) (I’m not female but they’re the draws for me). 

I don't know - the 3 in my group went for Burton and the Beetlejuice concept (which I guess is Keaton) - they had no interest in the ladies, even though 2 are in that female under 25 group and the other holds up the male under 25...

Edited by TwoMisfits

14 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I thought Burton's stuff was mainly a guy/gender-neutral thing, but I was schooled recently that Burton's big with the ladies. Which in hindsight makes sense. Pretty much all my friends who have Nightmare Before Christmas as their whole personality are women.

28 minutes ago, BundleOfJoy said:

No, and I am not calling it a cult classic; just that thinking it is one is an easy mistake to make, especially if you were born in the 90s or something.

Edit: Oops, I noticed the phrase 'fits the bill for a cult classic', should've worded it better, sorry. What I meant was that it looks like a movie that would be a cult classic.

I was born in the 80s, was too young to see it in theatres, and always viewed it as a cult classic kinda film. It probably helps that Burton has always had a cult-like following with a quirky aesthetic that was easy for many to dismiss. I don’t know what Edward Scissorhands or Pee Wee made either, but cult status seems fine to assign them. Maybe mainstream quirk is a better descriptor, I don’t know.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Deetz said:

I thought Burton's stuff was mainly a guy/gender-neutral thing, but I was schooled recently that Burton's big with the ladies. Which in hindsight makes sense. Pretty much all my friends who have Nightmare Before Christmas as their whole personality are women.

:unsure:  As in Jack, Sally or the Oogie Boogie?

A Nightmare Before Christmas sequel would open to 150m+. Not kidding. I'd say it was probably second behind the Lion King in terms of 90s kids favorite movies. To be clear, I hope this movie doesn't happen.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

A Nightmare Before Christmas sequel would open to 150m+. Not kidding. I'd say it was probably second behind the Lion King in terms of 90s kids favorite movies. To be clear, I hope this movie doesn't happen.

Considering the people involved in the film don’t want to make a sequel I doubt it. Plus stop motion from Disney is rare now. Basically like wanting a 2D animated film. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Well picture this...how about...we remake it...in live-action...but Jack...is...well...I think you know who I want to be cast.

• Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Hopefully that never happens because both Burton and Selick have gone on record saying they have no interest in a sequel

Actually, last I checked, Henry Selick stated that he wants to do a sequel, but Burton's the one who is against it, and has basically vetoed any chance for that to ever happen. Though granted I think the big difference is that Henry probably wants that nostalgia money and Tim's too rich for that crap.

6 minutes ago, JeepCSC said:

I was born in the 80s, was too young to see it in theatres, and always viewed it as a cult classic kinda film. It probably helps that Burton has always had a cult-like following with a quirky aesthetic that was easy for many to dismiss. I don’t know what Edward Scissorhands or Pee Wee made either, but cult status seems fine to assign them. Maybe mainstream quirk is a better descriptor, I don’t know.

Quirky but mainstream

Pee-wee's Big Adventure (1985) $40.9m - 15th biggest film domestic

Edward Scissorhands (1990): $56m Dom.  Another mainstream success. A Year end release so B.O. split over 90/91.  Would have been around top 20 for 91. 

Now Ed Wood (1994) which I think is his best film - $5.8m - that's a cult class

• Like 4