Krissykins

Weekend Thread Sept 20th-22nd

Deadline says 512K for Substance 

Edit: actually I'm confused by their wording 

The industry does need a new theatrical distributor and MUBI is making a splash with its acquisition of Universal/Working Titles’s The Substance which minted $512K in Wednesday previews that began at 7PM in 785 theaters and another $327K in previews from 1,455 theaters.

https://deadline.com/2024/09/box-office-transformers-one-the-substance-never-let-go-1236095371/

Edited by Flopped

I see some people predicting a number in the $25m zone and unless I’m missing something… that seems insane to me? Even considering EA. A family film while schools are in session missing a 10x IM

I do feel like it will be til Saturday before we get a real sense how things are going.

5 minutes ago, Flopped said:

The industry does need a new theatrical distributor and MUBI is making a splash with its acquisition of Universal/Working Titles’s The Substance which minted $512K in Wednesday previews that began at 7PM in 785 theaters and another $327K in previews from 1,455 theaters.

https://deadline.com/2024/09/box-office-transformers-one-the-substance-never-let-go-1236095371/

The 512K is from Wednesday Early Access shows, the 327K is from Thursday previews.

7 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Seems like 2 separared data, so 839k previews with EA? 

If so, it’s doing way over 5M OW imo, Sales Seems good for the whole Weekend.

Edited by ThomasNicole

2 minutes ago, Eric Prime said:

The 512K is from Wednesday Early Access shows, the 327K is from Thursday previews.

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Seems like 2 separared data, so 839k previews with EA? 

If so, it’s doing way over 5M OW imo, Sales Seems good for the whole Weekend.

Ah ok. Seems like a pretty big drop from Wed to Thurs so I'm not sure about it hitting 5M. But I don't track sales and don't know about its weekend sales. 

Edited by Flopped

12 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

I see some people predicting a number in the $25m zone and unless I’m missing something… that seems insane to me? Even considering EA. A family film while schools are in session missing a 10x IM

I do feel like it will be til Saturday before we get a real sense how things are going.

The previews ($3.36M) are EA, Wednesday fan shows and yesterday evenings. The problem isn’t so much they’re low but showing poor walkups for a family film as it’s lagging behind others in pace. It’s kinda correcting itself a bit in presales today but even then if true Thursday is as low as $1.5m - I doubt $30m can happen. We’re probably going to see something like a IM of true Thursday to Friday around 15x similar to Kung Fu Panda 4, maybe 17x with luck. Which would be around low to mid 20s OW.

Edited by YM!

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

The previews ($3.36M) are EA, Wednesday fan shows and yesterday evenings. The problem isn’t so much they’re low but showing poor walkups for a family film as it’s lagging behind others in pace. It’s kinda correcting itself a bit in presales today but even then if true Thursday is as low as $1.5m - I doubt $30m can happen.

Yeah, I knew all prior screenings were included. I don’t know, maybe I’ll be wrong. But it’s hard for me to put too much stock in Thursday previews on a school night and poorly-advertised early showings. I still believe Saturday is the true test here.

Not saying this thing is going to blow up at all—it looks like $40m is out of play. But somewhere in the 30s still looks perfectly reasonable to me.

Edited by Starphanluke

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

The previews ($3.36M) are EA, Wednesday fan shows and yesterday evenings. The problem isn’t so much they’re low but showing poor walkups for a family film as it’s lagging behind others in pace. It’s kinda correcting itself a bit in presales today but even then if true Thursday is as low as $1.5m - I doubt $30m can happen. We’re probably going to see something like a IM of true Thursday to Friday around 15x similar to Kung Fu Panda 4, maybe 17x with luck. Which would be around low to mid 20s OW.

Problem is this is all conjecture because we very annoyingly don't know the true Thursday. It could easily be 2.5 or something. I doubt single showings on Saturday and a few on Wednesday were pushing 1.5 mill personally. If I'm remembering right a trackers had it in the 500k zone some days ago for Wednesday. 

I wish we had the information so we could try to start projecting our own predictions but is just a big question mark right now. 

2 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Yeah, I knew all prior screenings were included. I don’t know, maybe I’ll be wrong. But it’s hard for me to put too much stock in Thursday previews on a school night and poorly-advertised early showings. I still believe Saturday is the true test here.

Not saying this thing is going to blow up at all—it looks like $40m is out of play. But somewhere in the 30s still looks perfectly reasonable to me.

Doesn’t matter how well EA previews were advertised - they took the sales out of preview momentum instead of building them up. There’s only so far you can get with an IM, feel like best case scenario is low 30s for this one. Mainly because of the 5 PM previews being better for internal multiple gives some backloading but again that really depends on how much it was true Thursday. Needs around 1.75M or higher for a shot at 30m, which would be a similar multiple to IF - a family film from Paramount this year with 5 PM shows.

9 minutes ago, wattage said:

Problem is this is all conjecture because we very annoyingly don't know the true Thursday. It could easily be 2.5 or something. I doubt single showings on Saturday and a few on Wednesday were pushing 1.5 mill personally. If I'm remembering right a trackers had it in the 500k zone some days ago for Wednesday. 

I wish we had the information so we could try to start projecting our own predictions but is just a big question mark right now. 

Saturday sold much better than Wednesday did and was a wider release. I imagine it was probably at least over 800K, probably closer to 1M+. The magic number for 30M OW is a 1.75M pure Thursday with a multiple similar to IF.

Edited by YM!

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

Saturday sold much better than Wednesday did and was a wider release. I imagine it was probably at least over 800K. The magic number for 30M OW is a 1.75M pure Thursday with a multiple similar to IF.

Was Saturday not single showings? When I looked at all my locals it was all single showings that day, so I assumed people were doing multi theater tracks on the single showings and then Wednesday had way more showings available in different formats. Similar to what happened with Mutant Mayhem and it's Saturday fan event. If that's not the case then that's my mistake. 

I found the elusive 500k ish number for fan events and it is as actually Garfield's fan event number at 575k that was brought up in a conversation about the potential preview breakdown Transformers would have! I actually don't see, right now at least, anyone who tracked the Wednesday EA who posted a dollar amount but there's sales information. Gonna dig some more in the thread though. 

3 minutes ago, wattage said:

Was Saturday not single showings? When I looked at all my locals it was all single showings that day, so I assumed people were doing multi theater tracks on the single showings and then Wednesday had way more showings available in different formats. Similar to what happened with Mutant Mayhem and it's Saturday fan event. If that's not the case then that's my mistake. 

Each day was single showing. Saturday’s at 5p. Wednesday’s at 7p.