Krissykins

Weekend Thread Sept 20th-22nd

12 minutes ago, CJohn said:

@Brainbug IO2 stopping its run out of respect for the true king of the DOM top 10. DP3 will be next. Blue stays winning.

Tbf to Inside Out it still beat its original run. Honestly if Disney doesn’t care enough for it to pass Jurassic World DOM, I think it’s just a matter of opinion at this point. Jurassic world still got beaten WW and OS, And for all intents and purposes it passed it domestically with its original release 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AniNate said:

Bad Guys had a similar opening in China and managed to leg out to almost $50 million, Wild Robot looking like it might be able to do the same thing.

Here's hoping that movie has the kind of domestic performance I was banking on when impulsively creating a club thread in March. Would go a long way towards making up for the current TFOne and Joker anxieties.

There is a lot of local competition coming in China next Monday for the upcoming holiday and Transformers on the weekend, so I would reign back any outsized expectations on its grosses there. Just because of how screen allocations usually go over there during this period, I'm just hoping it will cross double digits. It's already gonna clear the previous low end expectations just off the strength of its growth and holds on Sat/Sun so a lot to be happy about regardless. 

I'll maintain a big reason Transformers failed is the animation style looks awful and it was off-putting to the general audience. I saw the trailer before Beetlejuice and all I could think is who the hell thought that style was a good idea. Maybe it would work for a streaming series, but not for a major release.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

If The Substance can get to at least $10M, I'll be a happy man. 

The Substance numbers are bad no matter how people try to spin it. It had almost 2000 theatres. Marketing  failed. Where are Neon when we need them ? If someone  told me last year that the third movie of Oz Perkins will make 100 M I would have loughed. But here we are. 

In general really happy about The Wild Robot performing above The Bad Guys specifically as the only other release during school time on the breakdown of OS grosses. With much stronger reception than that one and no direct competition for nearly 2 months, thats a really good sign for its OS totals. 

16 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

The Substance numbers are bad no matter how people try to spin it. It had almost 2000 theatres. Marketing  failed. Where are Neon when we need them ? If someone  told me last year that the third movie of Oz Perkins will make 100 M I would have loughed. But here we are. 

You know before Longlegs, NEON biggest OW was Immaculate doing 5.3M in a even wider release, right? 

This is the type of numbers considered succesful for a small studio. Why are you using the most succesful “indie” production of this century as the rule for comparisson?

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

Dude, you do realize that The Substance was released my MUBI and this is their first ever film they've put out in wide release. For them and for a movie that had a marketing campaign that was purely digital, this isn't half bad. 

I'm sorry but you can't compare this to something like Longlegs. It was never going to make $100M worldwide even if it had NEON as a distributor. That's just setting unrealistic expectations for horror films released by studios that aren't the major ones. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedorito said:

Your point sort of stands but The Wild Robot isn’t original, it’s based off a popular book series like The Bad Guys. And Garfield is an IP film as well. Original is Wish, Encanto, Migration, Elemental, etc.

If you just mean “non-sequel animated film” then yeah, Elemental is the only to break 300M WW in years. But even though The Wild Robot isn’t original or a sequel I think it can break 300M.

Spoiler

Can we at least agree it's not an NTC? 👀