filmpalace

Weekend Thread | October 11 - 13

12 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

If you were even an older teen in the late 90s you'd realize the Harry Potter push was really a triumph of marketing and the books were never super original. It's just they were VERY aggressively marketed to young people and they then developed this idea that it was "part of their culture" rather than just some book they read in elementary/middle school and enjoyed.

The fact you can really force people to like things this viscerally It's a myth. Especially when It's not for a couple of years but for decades (and HP has a looooot of new fans upon teens were not even born when last movie or book came).

Marketing can create buzz because of marketing but you can see when it's just artificial love (most of the cases) and when people then really start to love something. HP Is between them

Just i think people love the characters and this very specific story (Is snape related to Harry? Is Voldemort related to Harry parents? Why he killed them?). Personally i think It's a great story in the likes of the count of Montecristo and similar popular classics.

The error is to think people care about all the universe like It's the middle earth cause actually this universe doesn't even exists. As for the count of Montecristo you like that story and that's all. You don't care about spin offs and whatever. It's the same for HP. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2

Just now, Jay Beezy said:

Yesterday, WB reported Joker having beaten Beetlejuice for the weekend by only 5K. Today, it's being reported that Beetlejuice has beaten Joker by over 300K. 😆

https://the-numbers.com/weekend-box-office-chart

They are both WB, so I'm surprise WB didn't fudge Joker numbers to beat Juice for actuals.

• Like 1

We're saying they'd pull money from Joker's later grosses down the line, shave 500k off the grosses from some other days in the week, not Beetlejuice. That's what I was saying at least, I don't want to speak for everyone. That would be next level insane to pull money from a successful film to make the bomb look slightly less like a bomb.

Edited by wattage

Upon further review actually, getting to $300m seems like it will be tough. I didn't really think the math out much with that first post but it would need 25% weekly drops the rest of the way to get there. Definitely don't think it's doing that against the upcoming competition and will probably lose some natural interest post-Halloween too. Probably gonna tap out around $290m.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

The fact you can really force people to like things this viscerally It's a myth. Especially when It's not for a couple of years but for decades (and HP has a looooot of new fans upon teens were not even born when last movie or book came).

Marketing can create buzz because of marketing but you can see when it's just artificial love (most of the cases) and when people then really start to love something. HP Is between them

Just i think people love the characters and this very specific story (Is snape related to Harry? Is Voldemort related to Harry parents? Why he killed them?). Personally i think It's a great story in the likes of the count of Montecristo and similar popular classics.

The error is to think people care about all the universe like It's the middle earth cause actually this universe doesn't even exists. As for the count of Montecristo you like that story and that's all. You don't care about spin offs and whatever. It's the same for HP. 

No, it's very real. There were displays in schools and libraries promoting Potter stuff constantly during the late 90s/early 00s. It was the most aggressively marketed YA series ever. Teachers, schools, and libraries were all in on Potter stuff.

I would never pretend Potter is a super original story but there is definitely a certain sincere appeal to the quirky, intricate worldbuilding of the whole thing. It's why it's a hugely lucrative attraction at the Universal theme parks. That's not something you can fake.

Kids don't latch on to just anything their teachers recommend, indeed they're just as likely to rebel against it because an adult told them they're supposed to read it. If it weren't for JK being a psycho I think the cultural legacy of Harry Potter would be beyond reproach.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

No, it's very real. There were displays in schools and libraries promoting Potter stuff constantly during the late 90s/early 00s. It was the most aggressively marketed YA series ever. Teachers, schools, and libraries were all in on Potter stuff.

the fact it was the most aggresively marketed book ever is your opinion and your own personal perception.

For what i know the first book was printed in a first edition of just 500 copies..something suggestes it was very far away from something launched with a mega marketing campaign with the intent to make it "the next big thing" in the literature world. Seems like WOM did the thing...then of course at some point yeah it became something big with a lot of marketing around when they saw it worked and when it already sold million of copies. 

there is no doubt the books are kinda derivative but the different ingredients are mixed in a way just works (isn't star wars the most derivative story ever, isn't tolkien a mix of greek myths and arturian stories?. It's how you mix everything, how the characters are compelling etc,..). Saying that HP only worked for the story, not for the universe (which makes the point about being derivative or not less important since people just felt a connection with the characters).

Edited by vale9001

6 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Saying that HP only worked for the story, not for the universe (which makes the point about being derivative or not less important since people just felt a connection with the characters).

This might just be your personal opinion, but the fandom absolutely does care about the universe as well.

The GA was open to the Fantastic Beasts movies at the start, it's just the poor execution of the follow-ups dulled interest.

Edited by AniNate

9 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

the fact it was the most aggresively marketed book ever is your opinion and your own personal perception.

For what i know the first book was printed in a first edition of just 500 copies..something suggestes it was very far away from something launched with a mega marketing campaign with the intent to make it "the next big thing" in the literature world. Seems like WOM did the thing...then of course at some point yeah it became something big with a lot of marketing around when they saw it worked and when it already sold million of copies. 

there is no doubt the books are kinda derivative but the different ingredients are mixed in a way just works (isn't star wars the most derivative story ever, isn't tolkien a mix of greek myths and arturian stories?. It's how you mix everything, how the characters are compelling etc,..). Saying that HP only worked for the story, not for the universe (which makes the point about being derivative or not less important since people just felt a connection with the characters).

It was a VERY aggressively marketed YA book from the late 90s onwards. If you're ignoring that them you're literally ignoring all the "Potter saved literacy/the only books my kids care about are Harry Potter!" stuff. Unless you grew up Amish HP stuff was unavoidable and the marketing for it was deafening.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

It was a VERY aggressively marketed YA book from the late 90s onwards. If you're ignoring that them you're literally ignoring all the "Potter saved literacy/the only books my kids care about are Harry Potter!" stuff. Unless you grew up Amish HP stuff was unavoidable and the marketing for it was deafening.

I got my first copy of Sorcerer's Stone at a gas station. This thing was everywhere.

5 hours ago, Mandatory said:

Why?

Because i’m queer and studios keep throwing money and power at JK hands. Money and power that she’s using to promote the end of our human rights. She’s getting close to politics recently, studies are showing that violence against queer people in UK more than double since JK started her diabolical hate rants.

I don’t think HP is bad artistically, i like quite a few movies, and i certainly don’t think people who likes it are evil beings like the writer. I’m fine with people personal taste.

My issue is with the industry that keeps promoting her and supporting her. That HBO show shouldn’t happen for example imo. It would be simply nice if the world just doesn’t care about new things out of the franchise, but i know it won’t happen. 

Anyway it was just a brief wishful thinking, i didn’t think it would make some users angry (apparently based on reactions).

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

I typically would prefer new franchises over old ones, I don't think there's much more of interest you can do with HP really, and it does reek of more Zaslav desperation to keep their glory franchises going in the same way the new Rings movies do.

I really hope the original movies they've invested in for next year pay off somehow, even if I still wish Zaslav could also somehow not benefit from them.

Edited by AniNate