Mojoguy

Weekend Thread | October 18-20 | 23M SMILE | 9.3M TERRIFIER

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Smile 2 is a worthy sequel. 

I can see WOM being strong. Nice to see the improvement in Cinemascore and still slightly better critic score for now too, 84% vs 81%. 

My kid and her boyfriend gave it an 8.  They really liked it, but were not fans of the ending.

They said there was no need to watch the 1st, b/c they didn't.  And they said that while they weren't scared during the movie, they loved that it's the 1st horror movie for them in awhile that you cared about the folks in it...so you were more invested.

• Like 1

Anyway, I was connecting with Smile 2 more than the first one! I enjoyed it. Today is gonna be a chill day,gonna be playing chaperone while rewatching Wild Robot in IMAX with my niece and some of her friends since she's been asking to go with them to see it again.  Then I'm gonna see if they're feeling Nightmare before Christmas or if we're just gonna go eat. 

Tomorrow is the Saw re-release for me, super excited for that. A very eclectic weekend at the theater for me. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Dogman might make more money. Considering Wild Robot mauled Joker 2 I wouldn't put it past them at this point.

Highly doubt the families taking their 10 year olds to Dog Man are gonna be filling up IMAX theaters. Wild Robot was playing to a good amount of general audience members per the opening weekend reporting, I can guarantee you it's gonna be much more of a general audience and much more of a PLF play than Dog Man will be. Movies that target kids heavily don't have huge PLF shares normally. 

Edited by wattage

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

From what we know Bong actually wanted Cannes, WB was the one that rejected his wishes and tested many different versions of the movie because, apparently, it doesn’t have that much broad appeal and the reception of the selected demo audiences was all over the place. All of this for Bong to have the final word on the cut anyway and the movie ended up in January.

Yet they never tested Joker 2, send it to Venice and fully support Todd Philips as this mad genius lol.

WB simply isn’t a trustworthy studio anymore when it comes to executive decisions. I’m certain that even if audiences ended up divided in Mickey 17, it would get good reviews, maybe even some award at festivals and not be this colossal embarassament they’re currently dealing.

"Oh, we have a deal with the director of one of THE most acclaimed, renowned and iconic movies of the century? And we have his follow-up to said acclaimed, renowned and iconic film? And he wants to take it to the prestigious film festival where said acclaimed, renowned and iconic film won the top prize? A January dump will do. The non-audience-tested CBM sequel by the guy who made Hangover? He'll win the Golden Lion again no doubt!"

So infuriating. I'm glad Bong at least got the final cut, rather than the film getting butchered by studio interference, and I'm excited for Pattinson after everything we've been hearing about his role.

Edited by coyoteinthewind
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

My kid and her boyfriend gave it an 8.  They really liked it, but were not fans of the ending.

They said there was no need to watch the 1st, b/c they didn't.  And they said that while they weren't scared during the movie, they loved that it's the 1st horror movie for them in awhile that you cared about the folks in it...so you were more invested.

I think it definitely stands on its own, but the opening might not be as effective without seeing the first film. Without spoilers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

From what we know Bong actually wanted Cannes, WB was the one that rejected his wishes and tested many different versions of the movie because, apparently, it doesn’t have that much broad appeal and the reception of the selected demo audiences was all over the place. All of this for Bong to have the final word on the cut anyway and the movie ended up in January.

Yet they never tested Joker 2, send it to Venice and fully support Todd Philips as this mad genius lol.

WB simply isn’t a trustworthy studio anymore when it comes to executive decisions. I’m certain that even if audiences ended up divided in Mickey 17, it would get good reviews, maybe even some award at festivals and not be this colossal embarassament they’re currently dealing.

When you lay it out it really is extra insane. They chose to take on an acclaimed director, at least attempt the festival circuit and see if its connecting there. If it is do a limited release for awards contention in December and then full release in January. If it's not connecting, then tough luck and they can only do the January release that they're already doing and don't worry about awards. If critics hate it the crowd of people who are already interested in this movie will find out about it before the movie comes out. It's not like they can hide it whether it's only a release in January and reviews come out a few days before or whether it goes to some festivals, they'll find out. But I guess they were convinced Joker 2 would be their awards player this year alongside Dune so fuck the other movie? I don't know what was going through their heads at all. 

Edited by wattage
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, coyoteinthewind said:

"Oh, we have a deal with the director of one of THE most acclaimed, renowned and iconic movies of the century? And we have his follow-up to said acclaimed, renowned and iconic film? And he wants to take it to the prestigious film festival where said acclaimed, renowned and iconic film won the top prize? A January dump will do. The non-audience-tested CBM sequel by the guy who made Hangover? He'll win the Golden Lion again no doubt!"

So infuriating. I'm glad Bong at least got the final cut, rather than the film getting butchered by studio interference, and I'm excited for Pattinson after everything we've been hearing about his role.

At the time Bong took the deal WB was still "the creator friendly studio". I doubt he'll be working with them again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

Hah, there we go.

Great start, didn't even realize it would be entering the top 5 for the weekend until now; been a while since a movie in under 1,000 achieved that, right? With good WOM and another big expansion next weekend it may even be able to stay in the top 5 for a couple more weeks...

Thought Smile 2 was okay, but nothing special. Some effective scares and cool directing (was that opening sequence a one-take?). Unfortunately there were some sequences that were meant to be scary but some people in my audience were laughing. Naomi Scott did great, and you can literally see her acting circles around everyone else in many scenes. The first film also felt meaner, even though this one is certainly more gory, the sense of dread was more palpable, and the connections to mental health in the first felt more pointed and clear, whereas the messaging in this one felt a bit more muddled.

It’s still a significant step above your standard horror schlock. But I doubt it’ll have the legs the first one did.

- (3) Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Warner Bros. $1,380,000 +162% -30% 3,251 $424 $280,353,139 43
- (4) Joker: Folie à Deux Warner Bros. $655,000 +59% -70% 2,857 $229 $54,917,948

Joker 2 gonna struggle to make $2M this weekend, insane. The odds of Terrifier 3 out-grossing it domestically are looking...surprisingly good?