Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

So, we are potentially looking at a 3rd consecutive weekend increase. I'm no expert on the Japanese market, but I can't imagine a movie increasing every weekend from its OW like this isn't incredibly rare, or maybe even unprecedented.

I think it's never happened before. Well, almost never. There's one movie that did it: Confessions (2010). But it had a much lower OW ($2.9M) compared to Frozen. Interestingly, Takako Matsu is in both movies, as the lead role in Confessions, and as Elsa in the dubbed version of Frozen.

Edited by catlover

And it would be above 90M with Rapunzel's exchange rate...damn it!!!

Average Sunday rise seems to be +10% without any holiday on Monday, so +15% should be doable. 70K tomorrow means an overall flat weekend. Even a mere +0.1% would be nice though, just for the record!

Btw, anyone knows why last Sunday was so huge? Maybe the film got back many big screens? Or it was just due to the imminent ticket price rise?

And it would be above 90M with Rapunzel's exchange rate...damn it!!!

You are crying over spilled milk at this point.

Tangled might have had a better exchange rate, but it also had to deal with an Earthquake that devastated Japan. Tangled was no way lucky in Japan. I'll take lower exchange rate over natural disaster any day.

Edited by Mojoguy

You are crying over spilled milk at this point.Tangled might have had a better exchange rate, but it also had to deal with an Earthquake that devastated Japan. Tangled was no way lucky in Japan.

He was refering to a comment I made about TS3 exchange rate would put frozen at 100m. No mention about luck. No need to get all dramatic and bring death and destruction into the thread. Shit happens all over the world, all the time, to everyone sooner or later. 300,000 people die everyday of the year, fact. Lets just keep it about the movie business. If you want to be dramatic, take an acting class ;) Edited by mfantin65

He was refering to a comment I made about TS3 exchange rate would put frozen at 100m. No mention about luck. No need to get all dramatic and bring death and destruction into the thread. Shit happens all over the world, all the time, to everyone sooner or later. 300,000 people die everyday of the year, fact.Lets just keep it about the movie business.If you want to be dramatic, take an acting class ;)

I wasn't trying to be dramatic.

I think Frozen was released at the perfect time. A year earlier or a year later, and it might not have made as much.

Also I can't believe how unlucky Tangled was. It should have made triple the amount that it did in Japan, and it should have gotten a Best Animation Oscar nomination. Sure, it was never going to win against Toy Story 3, but it deserved a nom. :wacko:

• Like 1

Frozen soundtrack is climbing the Japan album chart. Now rank #4http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/ja/w/Note that it's the only up in top 10, other are new or down. Interest for Frozen continues to grow?

I heard that the pop end credits Japense version of Let it Go is hugely popular in Japan right now, even more than the in movie version. Funnily, it's the other way around in America.

I wasn't trying to be dramatic.I think Frozen was released at the perfect time. A year earlier or a year later, and it might not have made as much.

We were talking about the currency rate being the same now as it was two to four years ago. Fun to see it at 100m now and make a try for 200m. Thats all, a "what if" scenario.well, regardless of luck or lack there of, and random forces of nature, if it holds like this a couple more weeks it may still get there!

I think Frozen's boxoffice run was the perfect storm that can't easily be replicated. Changing something like it's release date and it could really hurt its final gross. It is a domino effect.

A big factor for Frozen's success was that it had pretty much zero competition in America over the winter holidays. Walking with Dinosaurs was a huge flop. Also the freak cold weather over the months when it was in theaters was the perfect viral advertising.

If it hadn't won its Oscars, Japan's numbers could have fallen big time. That could have happened it it had a different release date.

Frozen might not even have won its Best Animated Feature Oscar if it had been released in 2014. LEGO movie and How to Train Your Dragon 2 are much much tougher competition than The Croods and DM2.

Release it in 2012 and Brave could have stolen Frozen's Oscar since at that point they were still dead sight on giving the award to Pixar.

I still find it hilarious how badly Brave flopped in Japan. Its run in Japan was already over when it won its Oscar. Talk about bad timing! :rofl:

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

I heard that the pop end credits Japense version of Let it Go is hugely popular in Japan right now, even more than the in movie version. Funnily, it's the other way around in America.

In America pop version by Demi Lovato was more popular until the christmas holiday explosion of Frozen. Then Menzel's movie version took over and was chosen for oscar night performance. So actually official YT video views are 171M for Idina and 121M for Demi altought the latter was released a month before.

I don't think so. The movie version was the one that was constantly used in promotion for months. Just look at the iTunes chart.

Top Singles:

1. Let It Go - Takako Matsu (movie version)

2. Let It Go - Idina Menzel

3. Umarete hajimete (FTFTIF) - Sayaka Kanda, Takako Matsu

5. Let It Go - May J (pop version)

8. Yukidaruma tsukurou (DYWTBAS) - Sayaka Kanda

Matsu and Idina's versions have been dominating the top 2 for weeks now. So the movie version is actually more popular than the pop version, just like in America.

Frozen soundtrack is climbing the Japan album chart. Now rank #4http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/ja/w/Note that it's the only up in top 10, other are new or down. Interest for Frozen continues to grow?

If they release the Japanese version in physical copies it will sell a lot more. But it's only available on iTunes, and it has stayed at #1 on the iTunes album chart for weeks.

Edited by catlover

Per Corpse

Ok, so... Frozen is up over last Saturday's admissions by about 3%, and when you factor in the tax hike (increasing ticket prices by ~7%) that went into effect on April 1st, yet another weekend increase (making it three-consecutive) is likely. It just keeps growing bigger and bigger every week.It may honestly beat Avatar (admissions is more than 50% likely now I believe), and become Hollywood's biggest film since Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 12 years ago.
  • Like 1

If they release the Japanese version in physical copies it will sell a lot more. But it's only available on iTunes, and it has stayed at #1 on the iTunes album chart for weeks.

They have to release physical copies considering how great the movie is doing in Japan. Studios can't afford to ignore such a large fanbase. ;)

Per Corpse

Frozen's Path to ¥15 billion ($150 million)

¥763 million ($7.5 million)
¥872 million ($8.5 million), +13%, ¥3.01 billion ($29.6 million)
¥881 million ($8.6 million), +01%, ¥5.28 billion ($51.6 million)
¥910 million ($8.9 million), +03%, ¥7.65 billion ($74.8 million) *Projection based on Sat. Estimates*

Top 10-All Time

01 :: ¥30.40 billion ($244.0 million) - Spirited Away (2001)
02 :: ¥26.20 billion ($212.0 million) - Titanic (1997)
03 :: ¥22.00 billion ($207.0 million) - Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
04 :: ¥20.30 billion ($163.7 million) - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
05 :: ¥19.30 billion ($165.5 million) - Princess Mononoke (1997)
06 :: ¥17.35 billion ($164.5 million) - Bayside Shakedown: Save the Rainbow Bridge! (2003)
07 :: ¥17.30 billion ($147.8 million) - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)
08 :: ¥15.60 billion ($188.7 million) - Avatar (2009)
09 :: ¥15.50 billion ($156.0 million) - Ponyo (2008)
10 :: ¥13.70 billion ($126.7 million) - The Last Samurai (2003)

Looks like his projection is matching up with our's now. Even he thinks 150M is possible. Absolutely phenomenal run in Japan!!!!!! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

• Like 3