Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

;You are incorrect, no need to go to an extreme and say ridiculous. Since you used absurd i will now have to call you Ray. 30 years ago you were more likely to see a movie in a theater when the vhs was a year away. Were you alive 30 years ago? How would you know the mindset. Once they tightened it up to 4 months a common thing you heard was " eh, ill probably wait a couple months to see that one at home. The attendance has increased only 10 % in 30years while the population has increased 40% in NA.It has an effect. Japan has maintained the one year buffer and their % of attendance to population has held. Just use a little common sense. Your living on a fixed salary and must watch your expenses. Your two children want to see frozen and you just saw an ad for vod coming in 1 month. Your saying its ridiculous that a parent would say we saw conan last month, I cant afford another $60 for another movie (for 3 w snacks), lets wait 4 weeks and watch it at home for $5?Case in point. A single mom friend of mine takes her daughter to the theater once in a while. when frozen was approaching a billion I saw her and asked if she saw it with Uma, that mothers and daughters globally love this movie.. She said :no, Uma wanted to see HGCF in dec, I cant afford the theater too often and I saw that itll be on vod soon. She'll have to wait a few weeks." If she thought that the dvd/vod wasn't coming for 9 months then she mite have taken her over the next few weeks. Capisce Ray?Ray, your saying that SB and GW couldnt burn off demand as the weekly remained strong after but one sunday discount day knock out the demand. PleaseYou dont have the intelligence to adjust the Wednesday multiplier by 20% to reflect the discount on your daily table and too lazy to adjust even after I pointed it out. How can you have an opinion on this matter.ridiculous, absurd and just plain stupid Ray

You can write hundred of posts full of insults to me, ray or everybody say something different to you (as you always have done), but everyone has an intelligence only slightly higher than a primate understands that the issue of the DVD is a colossal idiocy. By the way, my prediction have always been more accurate than your. 400M$....

You can write hundred of posts full of insults to me, ray or everybody say something different to you (as you always have done), but everyone has an intelligence only slightly higher than a primate understands that the issue of the DVD is a colossal idiocy. By the way, my prediction have always been more accurate than your. 400M$....

But I think the DVD's announcement did have an impact. Some people might not go to the cinema and watch Frozen again because the DVD will come out soon. People who are 50/50 about watching it in cinema might rather wait for the rental.

Edited by tong kosong
  • Like 2

But I think the DVD's announcement did have an impact. Some people might not go to the cinema and watch Frozen again because the DVD will come out soon. People who are 50/50 about watching it in cinema might rather wait for the rental.

Japanese 1: We go to the cinema to see frozen tonight? I love it a lot!Japanese 2: No, it comes out on DVD in two months, we can wait!Japanese 1: We have to wait two months?Japanese 2: Yes! I saw the advertisement, it will be a better experience!Japanese 1: Hey, have you smoked crap again?Japanese 1: I don't know, but the guy who sold it said it was good stuff!Update:

The Hollywood Reporter, in its Japan boxoffice comment says:"Frozen's total at the Japanese box office has now reached $227 million (¥23.1 billion) from 18.2 million tickets sold, though its figures have finally started to show significant falls over the last two weeks. While some of that can be explained by torrential rain last week and the World Cup this weekend, Frozen appears to have finally reached the beginning of the end of its run in Japan."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/japan-box-office-noah-opens-712052

Torrential rain of DVD and Blu Ray discs?

Edited by edroger

I've been following this forum for quite a while now, but this is the first time I felt the need to post anything.  I find it incredibly difficult to believe that anyone with even a shred of common sense would believe that an imminent Blu-ray/DVD/VOD release would not have a significant effect on the box office.  You've got to be kidding, right?

• Like 7

I've been following this forum for quite a while now, but this is the first time I felt the need to post anything.  I find it incredibly difficult to believe that anyone with even a shred of common sense would believe that an imminent Blu-ray/DVD/VOD release would not have a significant effect on the box office.  You've got to be kidding, right?

Agreed.

It certainly would be a huge coincidence that after 12 weeks of incredible holds that Frozen starts dropping right when the Blue Ray/DVD release is announced and the advertising begins. Not a week earlier or later, but exactly when the advertising started.

• Like 2

How do you tell you 6 years old girl that she must wait 45 days to watch a movie that all her friends at school have already seen??? If you want to see a movie at home you just watch it online for free, you don't need to wait for the DVD and pay 20€ for it... People go to the movies because they like the whole experience, something they can't find on a DVD. It's like going to a bar to drink a beer, you can drink it at home paying only 10% of what you pay at a bar but you prefer to drink it at a bar with your friends...

• Like 1

How do you tell you 6 years old girl that she must wait 45 days to watch a movie that all her friends at school have already seen??? If you want to see a movie at home you just watch it online for free, you don't need to wait for the DVD and pay 20€ for it... People go to the movies because they like the whole experience, something they can't find on a DVD. It's like going to a bar to drink a beer, you can drink it at home paying only 10% of what you pay at a bar but you prefer to drink it at a bar with your friends...

I agree with this to a point because it is generally how I feel about movies too. However I feel that not all people think in the same way and there will be a portion of the general audience who feels that they've watched frozen enough times in the theatres and maybe waiting for the dvd would be the better long term option.

The duration till the release date isn't all that important either in my opinion. Of course it wouldn't matter all that much to hardcore repeat viewers or maybe first timers and small children who can't be reasoned with, but the fact that they're advertising it means that whenever the average person decides whether or not they're going to go see frozen, it will play in the back of their minds and they could decide to see something else instead. 

• Like 1

Some pretty stupid posts here. So the assumption is that if there was no DVD release, Frozen would have stayed flat for years and years and would have grosses $1B+, right?Maybe some portion of the drop was accounted for by the DVD release announcement. But to suggest that the drops are only because of this reason is just plain stupidity. A lot of films continue to hold very well after the announcement of DVD release date, it is only after the actual release that they suffer big drops. Maybe Frozen would have grossed 450m or so this weekend if there was no DVD announcement, maybe even 500m. My point was that it would have been difficult to get to SA gross even with that number.

Edited by Fake
  • Like 2

Some pretty stupid posts here. So the assumption is that if there was no DVD release, Frozen would have stayed flat for years and years and would have grosses $1B+, right?Maybe some portion of the drop was accounted for by the DVD release announcement. But to suggest that the drops are only because of this reason is just plain stupidity. A lot of films continue to hold very well after the announcement of DVD release date, it is only after the actual release that they suffer big drops.Maybe Frozen would have grossed 450m or so this weekend if there was no DVD announcement, maybe even 500m. My point was that it would have been difficult to get to SA gross even with that number.

Mate no need to be so argumentative, especially not over frozen  ;)

Of course the dvd announcement wasn't the only factor in frozen's sudden drop but it's the one that stands out the most. I don't think anyone is arguing that without it, frozen would have stayed flat for an overextended time period but I do think spirited away would have been beaten. Before the dvd announcement everyone was on the $300 million train (even corpse) and for good reason, the numbers backed it up. After the announcement it seems like no one is on it. We live in a world of cause and effect so the most logical thing to assume is that the announcement had a significant impact.  

Posted Image

Mate no need to be so argumentative, especially not over frozen  ;)

Of course the dvd announcement wasn't the only factor in frozen's sudden drop but it's the one that stands out the most. I don't think anyone is arguing that without it, frozen would have stayed flat for an overextended time period but I do think spirited away would have been beaten. Before the dvd announcement everyone was on the $300 million train (even corpse) and for good reason, the numbers backed it up. After the announcement it seems like no one is on it. We live in a world of cause and effect so the most logical thing to assume is that the announcement had a significant impact.  

Looking at the graph it seems that during weeks 9-14 Frozen had the same kind of decrease of SA. Also SA run was affected by DVD release? Or a decrease sooner or later starts in all case? It happened also in South Korea and in North America: when the number of ticket sold approached a certain percentage of population probably the movie reach the level of saturation that  causes a collapse in demand. A this point everyone can find whatever reason he want: Dvd release, torrential rain, world cup, global warming or alien attack.

I apologize if I do not take it too seriously, but really if anyone here has "seriously" thought about asking Disney to delay the release date of the DVD then we live in a different planet, even in a different galaxy. It would be like email to Sepp Blatter asking to delay the world cup. It would be the typical behavior of a child crying for a broken toy.

the world does not end here, Frozen is having more success in home video sales, especially for blu-ray discs,  than in cinemas, even if the numbers are updated more slowly. It soundtrack is the most selled album in the whole world in 2014. According to Bob Iger, during this year 90% of toys and gadget sold by Disney are frozen-related. Frozen charachters have already been included in a successiful tv series. Marketing experts are sure that frozen-effect will be still strong for the next five years. There will still be fun.

Edited by edroger
  • Like 2

Does anyone have a list of the ten highest grossing films of all time in Japan (both yen and dollar would be wonderful)? Thank you in advance.

In yen

http://www.kogyotsushin.com/archives/alltime/

In $

Best non USA markets single run performances 150M$+ in Millions $ unajusted

Movie   Country  B.O.M.  Japan China

& oth.  Forum Forum

Spirited Away   Japan   229,60  244,00

Frozen Japan   226,50

Titanic   Japan   201,00  212,00

Lost in Thailand China   200,60

Journey to the West CtD  China   196,70   199,80

Bienvenue chez le ch'tis France 193,70

Howl's Moving Castle Japan   190,00  207,00

The Monkey King   China   167,80

Intouchables France 166,10

Transformers DotM   China   165,10   168,60

Ponyo   Japan   164,50  164,50

Skyfall   UK 161,10

Princess Mononoke   Japan   157,00  164,50

Bayside shakedown 2   Japan   155,10  165,50

Harry Potter 1 Japan   152,90  163,70

Titanic 3D China   150,07

• Like 2

Looking at the graph it seems that during weeks 9-14 Frozen had the same kind of decrease of SA. Also SA run was affected by DVD release? Or a decrease sooner or later starts in all case? It happened also in South Korea and in North America: when the number of ticket sold approached a certain percentage of population probably the movie reach the level of saturation that  causes a collapse in demand. A this point everyone can find whatever reason he want: Dvd release, torrential rain, world cup, global warming or alien attack.

I apologize if I do not take it too seriously, but really if anyone here has "seriously" thought about asking Disney to delay the release date of the DVD then we live in a different planet, even in a different galaxy. It would be like email to Sepp Blatter asking to delay the world cup. It would be the typical behavior of a child crying for a broken toy.

the world does not end here, Frozen is having more success in home video sales, especially for blu-ray discs,  than in cinemas, even if the numbers are updated more slowly. It soundtrack is the most selled album in the whole world in 2014. According to Bob Iger, during this year 90% of toys and gadget sold by Disney are frozen-related. Frozen charachters have already been included in a successiful tv series. Marketing experts are sure that frozen-effect will be still strong for the next five years. There will still be fun.

Chill I'm not looking for an argument here. 

Unfortunately that graph doesn't really suit your case since it's mixed with weekdays as well as weekends. The huge drop on week 9 was from post golden weekend of $11.1 million and had nothing to do with demand falling. Moreover SA's weekdays have always been stronger than Frozen's (summer weekdays) while frozen's weekends have been consistently bigger since around week 7. the decline in the graph from week 9 onwards is from weaker weekdays as there was certainly no decline from weekends up till week 13. I should remind you that the 12th weekend before that was around the same as opening week. Frozen's main business always came from weekends anyway so it was on course for SA no doubt. About Spirited away's drop, I don't know what caused it and it doesn't really matter in this case. What matters is the reason why frozen dropped and as far as I can tell, the meaningful drops didn't start in week 9 it started in week 13 after the dvd announcements. 

Movies doesn't work based on the supply and demand of physical goods that we see in the market economy. Since films aren't a physical product, people can consume it over and over again, and the theatres are under no pressure to continue screening it as they can change it whenever they feel the need. More demand will give you more screens yes but it doesn't just hit a high spot and collapse because people are suddenly disinterested. Sharp falls always have a reason. 

I'm one of the ones who "seriously" thought about asking disney to delay the DVD and why not I didn't have anything to lose from it and everything to gain. If only feasible and safe ideas were put into practice humans wouldn't have evolved to the point we're at today. 

Chill I'm not looking for an argument here. 

Unfortunately that graph doesn't really suit your case since it's mixed with weekdays as well as weekends. The huge drop on week 9 was from post golden weekend of $11.1 million and had nothing to do with demand falling. Moreover SA's weekdays have always been stronger than Frozen's (summer weekdays) while frozen's weekends have been consistently bigger since around week 7. the decline in the graph from week 9 onwards is from weaker weekdays as there was certainly no decline from weekends up till week 13. I should remind you that the 12th weekend before that was around the same as opening week. Frozen's main business always came from weekends anyway so it was on course for SA no doubt. About Spirited away's drop, I don't know what caused it and it doesn't really matter in this case. What matters is the reason why frozen dropped and as far as I can tell, the meaningful drops didn't start in week 9 it started in week 13 after the dvd announcements. 

I try to explain in a more simple:

1) I am talking about admissions, not about gross.

2) Frozen from week 1 to 11 had a certain type of run, unprecedented, with all the weekend near OW, big boost in holidays ....

3) In week 12 (after three months in release) there had been a day with a stellar number of admissions due to first of month discount day happened on sunday (almost all screen soldout).

4) This caused a large anomaly, always speaking about tickets sold, into Frozen's very slow and regular decrease.

5) This anomaly has caused a sudden saturation of demand that has produced double-digit declines in the weeks following. As Corpse said "I may end up being wrong come tomorrow or Sunday, but Frozen appears to be heading for a sizable decline this weekend based on morning ticket sales. And by "sizable", I'm thinking 30/35% over the weekend. Most films tend to drop 40/50% coming off a discount weekend, though, so anything below 40% would still be great."

6) Without this day, instead of a +10/-20/-30 we have been see a -10/-10/-10 and nobody would be talking about DVD.

• Like 1

I try to explain in a more simple:

1) I am talking about admissions, not about gross.

2) Frozen from week 1 to 11 had a certain type of run, unprecedented, with all the weekend near OW, big boost in holidays ....

3) In week 12 (after three months in release) there had been a day with a stellar number of admissions due to first of month discount day happened on sunday (almost all screen soldout).

4) This caused a large anomaly, always speaking about tickets sold, into Frozen's very slow and regular decrease.

5) This anomaly has caused a sudden saturation of demand that has produced double-digit declines in the weeks following. As Corpse said "I may end up being wrong come tomorrow or Sunday, but Frozen appears to be heading for a sizable decline this weekend based on morning ticket sales. And by "sizable", I'm thinking 30/35% over the weekend. Most films tend to drop 40/50% coming off a discount weekend, though, so anything below 40% would still be great."

6) Without this day, instead of a +10/-20/-30 we have been see a -10/-10/-10 and nobody would be talking about DVD.

1) You posted lab's graph. It's a gross graph not an admissions graph  ^_^

2)-6) I'm sorry I didn't understand any of that... :ph34r:

I think you forget that rentals play a bigger part here. Some people will think that If they can watch it in much much cheaper price in one month, why do they need to see it in the theater that costs a lot more? And some other people who have already seen it several times will likely save their money to buy the DVD so they can watch it over and over again without paying any money each time.

So yeah, the DVD release seems to have an impact to its box office, but of course it's not the sole reason for Frozen's relatively big drops. Without the DVD, it might still have bigger-than-usual drops, but not this big. Can we at least agree on this?

Edited by catlover
  • Like 1