Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

How much are people predicting for EoT? Is $40-50M possible?

I highly doubt that too.  That'd be doing basically the last two Mission Impossible figures (In yen).  It'd require a major breakout for that to occur.  I'd anticipate a gross of $20-30 million.

Corpse, what do you think HTTYD2 will make in Japan if it gets released?

we know u want it to be 100m right? But be realistic

:P

If it gets released, probably $4-6 million.  $10 million would likely be the ceiling.  

The first film seemed to be quite beloved by those that saw it, though, so maybe there's a little potential for a nice increase over the original if it gets released.

On movie sites like cinema.pia, yahoo movies, and others, it only ranks behind Toy Story 3 in user ratings among CGI films.

So, has Frozen passed Spirited Away in USD? I see no site reporting it, so I guess they are going with the higher number and it still hasn't?

If you go by BOMs (wrong) figures, then yes.  But technically it hasn't yet.  

Best non USA markets single run performances 150M$+ in Millions $ unajusted

Movie   Country  B.O.M.  Japan China

& oth.  Forum Forum

Spirited Away   Japan   229,60  244,00

Frozen Japan   236.80

Titanic   Japan   201,00  212,00

Lost in Thailand China   200,60

Journey to the West CtD  China   196,70   199,80

Bienvenue chez le ch'tis France 193,70

Howl's Moving Castle Japan   190,00  207,00

The Monkey King   China   167,80

Intouchables France 166,10

Transformers DotM   China   165,10   168,60

Ponyo   Japan   164,50  164,50

Skyfall   UK 161,10

Princess Mononoke   Japan   157,00  164,50

Bayside shakedown 2   Japan   155,10  165,50

Harry Potter 1 Japan   152,90  163,70

Titanic 3D China   150,07

• Like 2

Best non USA markets single run performances 150M$+ in Millions $ unajusted

Movie   Country  B.O.M.  Japan China

& oth.  Forum Forum

Spirited Away   Japan   229,60  244,00

Frozen Japan   236.80

Titanic   Japan   201,00  212,00

Lost in Thailand China   200,60

Journey to the West CtD  China   196,70   199,80

Bienvenue chez le ch'tis France 193,70

Howl's Moving Castle Japan   190,00  207,00

The Monkey King   China   167,80

Intouchables France 166,10

Transformers DotM   China   165,10   168,60

Ponyo   Japan   164,50  164,50

Skyfall   UK 161,10

Princess Mononoke   Japan   157,00  164,50

Bayside shakedown 2   Japan   155,10  165,50

Harry Potter 1 Japan   152,90  163,70

Titanic 3D China   150,07

TF4 in China will most likely rank #1 on this chart before its run is done.

EoT preview numbers???

Besides admissions at some chains, no estimate is available.

But it looks like $1.2-1.5 million to me.  Previews are uncommon in Japan, so I don't really have any appropriate comparisons, but I'd consider that very solid.  

• Like 1

That thread is a borefest, and so is the speculation over TF4. Nothing more than a bunch of a mediocre-to-awful movies getting expected openings and totals in a growing market. Transformers opening with 90M = yawn.

The speculation is true. TF4 did indeed open with $90 million weekend in China. The highest ever in that country.

We should now keep a close eye on TF4 box office performance in China. I hope it won't pass the Spirited Away and Frozen total boxoffice in USD. Japan owned the biggest box office record for a movie outside USA and I think it should stay that way as generally speaking only movies with great stories make good $$$ at Japan unlike China.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3865&p=.htm

"opening came in China, where Age of Extinction earned a spectacular $90 million (nearly $10 million from 150 IMAX screens). The previousTransformers movie is one of the highest-grossing imports ever there, and this outing aimed to capitalize on that interest by setting the entire third act in and around Hong Kong. Ultimately, Age of Extinction is guaranteed to earn over $200 million in China, and could even wind up over $250 million.:o 

Edited by Annayya

If it will have the same OW multiplier of TF3, it should end at about 250M$

China is not as good at multipliers as Japan.

A close analysis and estimates of the movie release schedule in China for the next month or so will determine the fate of Transformers on a long run. Will it lose many IMAX screens soon for some other movie ?

Trailers for this Summer's Biggest/Notable Local Releases:

Say, "I Love You" (Shochiku) - July 12th

Pokemon XY: The Cocoon of Destruction & Diancie (Toho) - July 19th

Say, "I Love You" likely won't post big numbers, but it's bound to have a long run throughout the Summer box-office which could rank it higher than expected.  One Direction is also somewhat popular in Japan (Boy bands still remain very popular), so them providing the theme song may help it, too.

Pokemon should see a significant increase over the last film since it's the first in the XY series (the first film of a new generation has always seen a big increase), so it'll be a big hit by default.  Most films this Summer will need to be playing catch-up since it's guaranteed a big number.

Edited by Corpse
  • Like 2

Eight Ranger 2 (Toho) - July 26th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq0YhAqAwUc

Rurouni Kenshin: The Great Kyoto Fire Arc (Warner Bros.) - August 01st 

The first Eight Ranger film was a surprise success in 2012.  Sequels of this nature tend to remain flat or see drop-offs though, but the band still remains one of the most popular in Japan.  

The Rurouni Kenshin franchise has picked up where Harry Potter left off for Warner Bros. in Japan (much smaller figures, but still).  Since Harry Potter concluded, the first Rurouni Kenshin film in 2012 has been their biggest hit by a significant margin (it earned as much as the two Hobbit films combined).  The sequel is two films or parts, and looks great.  The first part opens August 01st, followed by the second-half on September 13th.

Edited by Corpse
  • Like 1

Stand By Me, Doraemon (Toho) - August 08th

Stand By Me, Doraemon is the first CGI animated film in the long running, and still incredibly popular Doraemon franchise.  Last year, the film franchise exceeded 100 million admissions making it the most-attended film franchise in Japan (ahead of Godzilla, Harry Potter, etc.).  This film is also directed by Takashi Yamazaki, who has become one of Japan's most famous ad critically acclaimed movie directors known for the Always franchise and recently, the huge blockbuster hit, The Eternal Zero. Transformers: Age of Extinction opens the same weekend and won't have it easy.

Memories of Marnie (or When Marnie Was There) is more than likely going to be the #1 film this Summer, but it still doesn't have a trailer released.   Studio Ghibli has released trailers literally weeks before a film's release date before (The Wind Rises being a recent example) and had no trouble, so no worries.  I expect it the trailer will land this week however.  

Edited by Corpse
  • Like 1