Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

32 minutes ago, todos said:

Interesting statistic I learned recently:

Japan was the 2nd highest international market for the original Inside Out behind the UK. 

5+Billion yen is more likely than not. 

that may be true, but Germany, France, Mexico, and South Korea were very close to it in 2015.

As for 5 billion yen, I guess it's doable considering little competition for the rest of August.

3 hours ago, juni78ukr said:

Is there any way to get top 10 weekend charts? For several years i used ComScore numbers from Korean Film Council web site. But they have no updates for last three weeks. 

Sometimes the chart will be on the insidekino website, but it’s not always full

39 minutes ago, cannastop said:

that may be true, but Germany, France, Mexico, and South Korea were very close to it in 2015.

As for 5 billion yen, I guess it's doable considering little competition for the rest of August.

Actually, I see incredibles 2 being the comp in Japan because it has already performed/ended its run like or marginally better than Incredibles 2 in China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan and the UK for some reason. 

Seating allocation for Friday, August 16, 2024

Inside Out 2 has the most seats, and it looks like MHA still has more seats than necessary. Also Garfield is there.

https://mimorin2014.com/blog-entry-46941.html

Number of seats, number of screenings, number of theaters tally the day before: 20240816
Rank Number of seats Number of screenings Box average Box number Acquired theaters Screening rate Movie (title)
*1 248742 864 287.9 2.7 176 375 46.9% Inside Out 2
*2 196641 788 249.5 3.3 172 367 46.9% Crayon Shin-chan the Movie: Our Dinosaur Diary
*3 169469 886 191.3 4.6 171 351 48.7% My Hero Academia the Movie: Your Next *
4 133876 808 165.7 5.9 159 294 54.1% The Fall Guys
*5 114947 653 176.0 4.9 176 388 45.4% Despicable Me 3
*6 111635 635 175.8 5.2 176 380 46.3% Kingdom: Return of the General
*7 *83057 381 218.0 4.3 170 380 44.7% The First Slam Dunk
*8 *63066 512 123.2 7.5 172 342 50.3% Blue Period
*9 *59006 464 127.2 7.4 115 238 48.3% Garfield the Cat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In 2 weeks. It’s amazing how Inside Out 2 might pass Elemental with today’s grosses when it was thought that was the highest point, the pinnacle if it was lucky. WOM raging strong. 

Edited by todos

So how high might we end up here? Usually I can make pretty good est myself but Japan is one of the hardest markets for that with so much legs/reception/holidays/competition mattering. 6B possible? 7?

6 hours ago, Cooper Legion said:

So how high might we end up here? Usually I can make pretty good est myself but Japan is one of the hardest markets for that with so much legs/reception/holidays/competition mattering. 6B possible? 7?

let's just see if it makes it to 5 billion first.

Elemental was at 1.54 billion yen on its 16th day and Inside Out 2 will be at 2.7 billion yen on its 16th day.

Elmental ended with 2.7 billion yen, so that's a multi of 1.75 from the 16th day total. The same for Inside Out 2 is 4.7 billion yen.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

WDS Current Highest Grossing Title (Post-Pandemic) - "Avatar: The Way Of Water" ¥4.31B

"Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker" was the last WDS Title that exceeded ¥5.0B with ¥7.32B

So, let's see Post-Holiday Legs. At present I think ¥4.5B is doable ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

let's just see if it makes it to 5 billion first.

Elemental was at 1.54 billion yen on its 16th day and Inside Out 2 will be at 2.7 billion yen on its 16th day.

Elmental ended with 2.7 billion yen, so that's a multi of 1.75 from the 16th day total. The same for Inside Out 2 is 4.7 billion yen.

I think Inside Out 2 has stronger reception than Elemental. So I would not put that as the limit. Japan is all about WOM. Then sky is the limit. 

That said we need to see the hold post Obon weekend to judge where its going to end up. 

• Like 2

Because of the typhoon, sales for Friday might be very low for all movies. I checked Toho Shinjuku and there were almost no tickets sold for Inside Out 2, and this is a theater that nearly always comes close to selling out.

The conditions are better in Osaka, where there are actual sales I can see.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Because of the typhoon, sales for Friday might be very low for all movies. I checked Toho Shinjuku and there were almost no tickets sold for Inside Out 2, and this is a theater that nearly always comes close to selling out.

The conditions are better in Osaka, where there are actual sales I can see.

Which version are you looking up? The subtitled version looks fine for now (not robust like other days this week).
The dubbed version has few tickets trickling in slowly but the afternoon show has the main section almost at full capacity. 

Edited by todos