Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Weekend Forecast [8/10-11]

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

1 (1) The Wind Rises (Toho) ¥480 million ($5.0 million) Week 4
2 (-) World War Z (Toho-Towa) ¥400 million ($4.2 million) DEBUT!
3 (3) Monsters University (Disney) ¥320 million ($3.3 million) Week 6
4 (2) The After-Dinner Mysteries (Toho) ¥290 million ($3.0 million) Week 2
5 (-) Pacific Rim (Warner Bros.) ¥280 million ($2.9 million) DEBUT!
6 (-) A Boy Called H (Toho) ¥250 million ($2.6 million) DEBUT!
7 (4) The Lone Ranger (Disney) ¥225 million ($2.4 million) Week 2
8 (5) Kamen Rider Wizard in Magic Land (Toei) ¥150 million ($1.6 million) Week 2
9 (6) Pokemon Best Wishes: ExtremeSpeed Genesect - Mewtwo Awakens (Toho) ¥120 million ($1.3 million) Week 5
10 (7) Emperor (Shochiku) ¥80 million ($830,000) Week 3

This is a very crowded weekend, that's for sure. We're also at the beginning of Obon Week, and while weekend/weekday increases come a little further into the week (generally from the 11-17th of the month), it's certainly possible we see some strong holds or maybe some increases this weekend.

World War Z is pretty far ahead of the other openers today at many locations, and it's also playing on more screens, and larger ones, than it's two fellow openers. I don't think it's going to dethone The Wind Rises, but it's looking to be a close race.

Below them, third to sixth place is really difficult to rank as they're all looking at similar weekend grosses in the ¥250-350 million range. I think any of them could switch positions, though I'm giving the edge to Monsters University since family films really strive during Obon Week, and it's the primary family film in release right now (The Lone Ranger was doing really well during the week, indicating it's playing well with families, too, though).

I'm not sure about what they want to see..I thought they loved this...Evangelion, Macross..But not in anime : a real live movie!

It's an incomprehensible people :huh:

One big minus: PR is not a Japanese production, enough to turn off general Japanese audience.

It is similar to Hollywood made Les Misérables (2012) flopped in France.

If Hollywood makes a Journey to the West movie, I gurantee it flops in China too.

• Like 1

So PR is underperforming. So where all the "it's giant robots so Japanese will eat it up" people?

Oh come on, the first week can be deceiving, Ted's OW wasn't different from PR and it finished beyond $30m.

A good OW and good legs could help it a lot, it's far from over B)

One big minus: PR is not a Japanese production, enough to turn off general Japanese audience.

It is similar to Hollywood made Les Misérables (2012) flopped in France.

If Hollywood makes a Journey to the West movie, I gurantee it flops in China too.

It's not always true.

Tintin is French/Belgian symbol and still Tintin from Spielberg was a success there (5.2m afmissions in France despite Untouchables's terrific start).