Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

It's weird because 90% of blockbusters bombed there, even great movies.

Yep, Japan is relatively inward-looking, it's something the Japanese government and businessmen want to change (such as the ambitious CEO of Rakuten,who shocked and made English the official language of its firm, and its Japanese headquarters,trend followed by other Japanese firms since then) because it hits the country from an economic point of view. Since the 90s the Japanese youth is less interested by the outside world and in an economy that really needs exports to maintain its economy it's just dangerous.

WHat's great is the fact the elite of the country realizes it can't go on and that Japan needs to open to the world, and to open its market too.

Toho openings admissions for this week openers vs top three grossing of 2014

Day  Frozen   BH6      YoKW    Doraemon  Maleficent

Fri  49.224    
Sat  58.491   46.753   133.455    63.342    58.239
Sun  64.414   47.611   137.103    51.181    62.250
Tot 172.129   94.364   270.558   114.523   120.489

Yokai Watch could be over 1,2 million total admissions, BH6 near 500K (Frozen 850K 3-days)

• Like 2

Don't be blind. Edge of Tomorrow, Apes 2, CA2 all flopped there.

And? Why does that make Youkai Watch's success weird? For a while now Hollywood movies have not being doing well in Japan and Japanese films have been doing fine. This is completely in line with what you would expect.

And? Why does that make Youkai Watch's success weird? For a while now Hollywood movies have not being doing well in Japan and Japanese films have been doing fine. This is completely in line with what you would expect.

Oh, I'm totally OK with YW's success, aren't we talking about Japan is a weird market?

Oh, I'm totally OK with YW's success, aren't we talking about Japan is a weird market?

This was the post:

Everytime I look in this thread I am reminded that the Japanese are a weird bunch.

And I was wondering why this in particular would draw such a response despite it being totally expected (though maybe not to this extent).

Before 2012, hollywood movies were still making money in Japan, but now, they all bomb except one or two surprises. Not expected at all.Thus Japanese market became weird.

So we've been seeing this dynamic for three years now. It would be weirder now to question it.

Before 2012, hollywood movies were still making money in Japan, but now, they all bomb except one or two surprises. Not expected at all.Thus Japanese market became weird.

They're just interested in animes and animated movies so live movies got it hard, it's not against Hollywood it's just a change of tastes, mangas became really popular in the 2000s and the trend still goes on nowadays, it's not like Japanese live movies are successdul after all...

Mangas were far more popular in the 90s (the DB-Slam Dunk era was Jump's peak) as were most anime on tv (based on ratings). However I agree about anime movies becoming more popular, especially thanks to Miyazaki. What also happened is that Japanese movie production increased quite significantly and as with all other means of entertainment (animation, music, video games...), the Japanese tend to prefer their own stuff to what others have to offer.