Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

How much did RE4 made on OW?

Excluding previews and Friday, it's Opening Weekend was 698 million yen ($8.2 million).

Great drop for TA and maybe it could still get to 50M. Corpse, I thought RE5 would hurt TA since it has 3D but you're are expecting a great drop. Any reason?

It should have one of the bigger drops this weekend, but all drops in general will be solid because last weekend was weak since it followed a discount weekend. This weekend is also a Holiday Weekend which will help out. I already posted the forecast, but I'm going to predict that 'The Intouchables' increases this weekend now. Some Friday data came in for it and it increased over last Friday by a significant margin.

Some rate Friday data was released this afternoon:'Resident Evil V: Retribution' sold 75% of the tickets 'Bayside Shakedown THE FINAL' did opening day last Friday.'Bayside Shakedown THE FINAL' is down an impressive 30% compared to it's opening day last Friday.This data puts the two films very close going into the weekend with approx. 145,000 admissions for 'REV' and 135,000 admissions for 'BS4' for Friday. 3D ticket prices, and how many diehard Resident Evil fans turned out before the weekend will determine the outcome.Also of note, 'The Intouchables' saw a huge 65% increase over last Friday. I read it was adding a few more screens this weekend (rare for any film in the market given the high volume of films released every weekend) so I'm sure that played a major role. This data suggests the film may increase in it's third weekend.

It's honestly impossible to project this one. It dropped 13% it's second weekend (while everything else dropped 40/50%) even though it was coming off an inflated opening weekend. And there are signs it may increase in it's third weekend now. Making it even tougher to see where it's heading is how strong it's weekdays have been also. Usually this time of year weekdays make up about 40-50% of a films weekly gross, but this one is doing about 60% or so right now.We'll have to give it several more weeks, or months, to get a clearer picture.

Edited by Corpse

Okay... but if you had to guess a number, what would it be?

Intouchables is a global sensation and doing well in all markets.South Korea made $11M for Intouchables, so hopefully Japan can beat that!I know SK is not a perfect comparison but they are both big Asian markets. :) Edited by JCS

It's honestly impossible to project this one. It dropped 13% it's second weekend (while everything else dropped 40/50%) even though it was coming off an inflated opening weekend. And there are signs it may increase in it's third weekend now. Making it even tougher to see where it's heading is how strong it's weekdays have been also. Usually this time of year weekdays make up about 40-50% of a films weekly gross, but this one is doing about 60% or so right now.We'll have to give it several more weeks, or months, to get a clearer picture.

with so few screens available people have to use the whole week, if they want to see it

Box Office Distributor Revenue (Jan-Aug.)

Top 3 Local Distributors:

Toho - ¥54,435,833,486 ($697 million)*

TOEI - ¥8,994,235,400 ($115 million)

Shochiku - ¥4,198,277,300 ($54 million)

*+32% over last year; new record (in jpy and usd) for any local or foreign distributor after 8 months. Market share is also over 50% (also a new record).

Top 5 Foreign Distributors:

Disney, Sony, FOX, Paramount, Warner Bros. - ¥35,291,391,550 ($452 million)*

*Combine revenue for the Top 5 and a record low for foreign distributors after 8 months.

To show just how big Toho is this year, here is the list of the Top 7 Distributors in NA and where Toho ranks.

Jan-Sept. 13

1. Warner Bros. - $1,237.8

2. Sony / Columbia - $1,191.1

3. Buena Vista - $1,131.9

4. Universal - $1,120.7

5. Lionsgate - $756.5

6. 20th Century Fox - $748.2

7. Toho - $697.2 (as of Aug. 31)

8. Paramount - $587.6

If up to Sept. 13th was incluced in Toho's total, they'd probably be ahead of FOX and Lionsgate since Bayside Shakedown's first 7 days and their holdovers would be included.

Is that 50% market share for Toho Jan-Aug or Dec-Aug? If it's the former, why isn't December being included?

Jan.-Aug.The box office year runs from Dec.1-Nov.30, the yearly box office covers Jan.1-Dec. 31. For example: The Hobbit is being released Dec. 14. That mean it'll be a 2013 release, but whatever it makes during December will count toward the 2012 year. It's a curious system the MPPAJ has used for decades.Ted is not being released in Japan, Fake. At least, not this year or anytime in Early/Mid 2013. Hollywood comedies always bomb due to cultural differences, so lately distributors haven't bother picking them up since they'd just lose money.

Jan.-Aug.The box office year runs from Dec.1-Nov.30, the yearly box office covers Jan.1-Dec. 31. For example: The Hobbit is being released Dec. 14. That mean it'll be a 2013 release, but whatever it makes during December will count toward the 2012 year. It's a curious system the MPPAJ has used for decades.

Ok, that's really confusing. It's a shame that more detailed data like monthly charts and weekly charts etc... aren't available. I want to be able to undertand this (and other countries), but with Japan especially, it's not easy.

Jan.-Aug.The box office year runs from Dec.1-Nov.30, the yearly box office covers Jan.1-Dec. 31. For example: The Hobbit is being released Dec. 14. That mean it'll be a 2013 release, but whatever it makes during December will count toward the 2012 year. It's a curious system the MPPAJ has used for decades.Ted is not being released in Japan, Fake. At least, not this year or anytime in Early/Mid 2013. Hollywood comedies always bomb due to cultural differences, so lately distributors haven't bother picking them up since they'd just lose money.

You say Hollywood comedies always bomb due to cultural differences, but apparently Japanese like Intouchables, and it's very different culturally...Ted should have its chance...Singapore and Taiwan liked it by the way. Edited by Fullbuster

Intouchables isn't a Hollywood film and has huge critical acclaim and even bigger box office results from around the world. It's also an inspiration movie. These reasons have brought in Japanese audiences (30, 40, and older).

So many Hollywood comedies these days are crude or vulgar, rated-R, and thrive off the younger (under 30) audience. The Japanese don't go for any of that, and it doesn't help matters when Seth Macfarlane has made jokes (serious or not) about the Earthquake last year and their Dolphin hunting (which I of course disagree with).

• Like 1

Intouchables isn't a Hollywood film and has huge critical acclaim and even bigger box office results from around the world. It's also an inspiration movie. These reasons have brought in Japanese audiences (30, 40, and older).

So many Hollywood comedies these days are crude or vulgar, rated-R, and thrive off the younger (under 30) audience. The Japanese don't go for any of that, and it doesn't help matters when Seth Macfarlane has made jokes (serious or not) about the Earthquake last year and their Dolphin hunting (which I of course disagree with).

No, but Intouchables is French, it's very different of Japan, so a success there wasn't sure at all.And Ted is now bigger than Intouchables WW ;)

I see, but Japanese can like Hollywood comedies, Home Alone was a success there.But I understand, I'm not a fan of vulgar movies too, Ted is kind of an exception.

Edited by Fullbuster

Russia, Japan and China are at totally different places in their development and their readyness for foreign cultural influence. At the moment Russia has surrendrered its film market to Hollywood. China tries every trick of a dictatorship to keep a functioning local production and Japan seems to reenacte the spirit of of the Tokugawa Shogunate towards foreign influences. Will this last?

Russia, Japan and China are at totally different places in their development and their readyness for foreign cultural influence. At the moment Russia has surrendrered its film market to Hollywood. China tries every trick of a dictatorship to keep a functioning local production and Japan seems to reenacte the spirit of of the Tokugawa Shogunate towards foreign influences. Will this last?

I think it will (at least in quite lot future years).