AniNate

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted - 6/8/2012

Yea, but all you have to do 5 days before a film comes out is be able to read. Making bold statements like kids will hate it, it will make less than 125 mill, the 2nd one sucked so kids will stay away (not that you said all of this, but you know what I mean) three months back, that's where a prediction comes in.

Well, I sticked with my predictiong until the end (under 40M OW) and I failed miserably. I am happy I was wrong, tho. Good to see Madagascar 3 doing so well.

I don't even remember reading the tracking numbers, it's just the overwhelming feeling that something has to break out eventually. I thought the box office would be stronger at the time and Madagascar would be totally lost in the rut, in addition to whatever I said before abut it looking terrible.

I don't even remember reading the tracking numbers, it's just the overwhelming feeling that something has to break out eventually. I thought the box office would be stronger at the time and Madagascar would be totally lost in the rut, in addition to whatever I said before abut it looking terrible.

Well, it's fun to be vindicated. If ASM ends up breaking out, there are a litany of posts that you can bump with me claiming it will fail. Part of teh fun of making predictions. :)

Well, it's fun to be vindicated. If ASM ends up breaking out, there are a litany of posts that you can bump with me claiming it will fail. Part of teh fun of making predictions. :)

Absolutely, and it's good you stuck to your guns.
  • Like 1

What is the general consensus on this? what are the criticas liking about it?

Critics don't matter. It got a very good A- cinemascore.

60M is not that great considering it is 3D. I wouldn't call it a break out

It is great. It'll be very close to 200 mill when all the coin is counted. Might even beat ASM.

Just saw it, very fun movie to watch. Kids (and kids at heart) will totally love this one. Oh I know a lot of you here hate the Afro Circus bit but it works well with kids. It's a visually appealing movie. Glad to see this doing well in the box office and while before I said that Dreamworks should have kept the original May date, moving it to June worked for it as Avengers was such a phenomenon that it could have affected the movie's BO but releasing it in June worked for it, it had the family audience by itself

competition from Brave and Ice Age and Spider-Man should prevent it from reaching 200M

Well, it doesn't need to hit 200 to be a success. It should do 180 for sure.

Here is a sampling of non Pixar animated films released in the summer and their multipliers:Despicable Me: 256 mill off a 56 mill opening: 4.48Shrek 4: 238 off 70: 3.4Kung Fu Panda: 215 off 60: 3.58Ice Age 3: 196 off 41: 4.78Kung Fu Panda 2: 165 off 47: 3.5Over the Hedge: 155 off 38: 4.07Now, the lowest opening of these animated films in the summer is 38 mill but that was for an original film. So the next lowest is 41 mill for IA3. Now it ended up being really well received and had a massive multiplier. So let;s say Madagascar is not well received and it opens to about what IA3 did. Give it a 43 mill opening. Give it a low multiplier of 3.4 (which is the lowest multpiler on here..shrek 4) and with that you have 146 mill. Voila. This is not making less than 100 mill and I'll put a big bet on that. There is simply no precedent for it.

3.5 looks pretty doable seeing as KFP did that and two weeks later Pixar supposedly would kill its legs also.