rockNrollaDIM

Fri: SW 20.3m; MIB 8.3m; TA 5.65m/Sat DHD: SW 21.5m; MIB 12m; TA 9m

Not to mention that a lot of theaters offer 2-3x as many showtimes in the 3D format as the 2D format for some movies -- Avengers included.

True. In NYC of all places, it was tough for me to find a 2D screening of Avengers.

Not to mention that a lot of theaters offer 2-3x as many showtimes in the 3D format as the 2D format for some movies -- Avengers included.In either case, if one argues that people choose 3D because they want it then the reverse holds true in saying that they probably would have for whatever the other movie in the comparison is anyway. That's one reason ticket sales debates can go only so far. There are just too many difference scenarios.

Very true, admission talks are pointless until we have actual numbers. There are too many variables to guess correctly every movie.

Can you post your numbers. 61M admissions are low.

Using the 42% 2nd & 3rd weekend1-7 days (48% 2D/ 40% 3D/ 12% IMAX/Other) - 28.9M8-14 days (50/42/8) - 43.0M15-21 days (54/42/4) - 51.1M22-28 days (70/30/0) - 57.5MI see estimated tickets not as something that's an accurate representation of the tickets a movie sold, but something based on consistent (though inaccurate) data that we can use to compare movies.

But...who cares, really? The only people passionate about trying to put one movie on a higher pedestal than the other are usually fanboys anyway. Its what they've always done and will always do.

adim!

Using the 42% 2nd & 3rd weekend1-7 days (48% 2D/ 40% 3D/ 12% IMAX/Other) - 28.9M8-14 days (50/42/8) - 43.0M15-21 days (54/42/4) - 51.1M22-28 days (70/30/0) - 57.5MI see estimated tickets not as something that's an accurate representation of the tickets a movie sold, but something based on consistent (though inaccurate) data that we can use to compare movies.

We can't really compare to other movies. For example, Shrek 2 would have sold a lot of kiddie tickets compared to TDK.Do you have TA at 57.5M admissions?
  • Like 1

We can't really compare to other movies. For example, Shrek 2 would have sold a lot of kiddie tickets compared to TDK.

That's exactly what I'm pointing out, it's impossible to get that kind of accuracy, so precision is the fairer way to go.

Do you have TA at 57.5M admissions?

61.7M Edited by cory

A 20m weekend for TA would be the 4th highest 5th weekend gross ever. It's looking at a 45/46% post MD weekend drop, which is quite good. Even with all the movies coming out this month it should leg its way to about 610-615m at worse.

• Like 1

That's exactly what I'm pointing out, it's impossible to get that kind of accuracy, so precision is the fairer way to go.61.7M

I understand the precision aspect of it but it truly hurts movies like S2, SM1 and other kid movies.Roughly 62M so we are not that far off each other. I think if TA hits 650M than it is safe to say it passed TDK since it has most likely sold more kiddie tickets.

Solid start for SW, however it's budget is huge and DOM WOM is so-so so it looks like OS business will be key. Great holds for MIB3 and TA. MIB3 will only need about a 3x multiplier from this weekend to get 200m or just short of it, possible since Prometheus is the only thing targeting it's audience for a while and that is R and high schools and colleges are now getting out, so summer weekdays will allow it to coast. TA looks to end up somewhere between 600 and 650 if it's legs don't drop too fast.TA will end up at or close to 1.5 billion worldwide from the looks of it, MIB3 is looking to cross 500 WW if it comes close to matching the original's OS cume or surpasses it. SW will probably get 150-180 stateside and over 250 OS, Prometheus is looking at 40-55 range DOM opening and much better than expected numbers OS for dark, adult aimed science fiction. 350 WW is looking very possible for it.

Edited by JonnyCraig

Its a silly argument though. I mean I could probably argue that if the number of tickets were actually counted that Shrek 2 probably sold more tickets than The Dark Knight due to Shrek 2 being a family movie.

And you'd be right.

Its a silly argument though. I mean I could probably argue that if the number of tickets were actually counted that Shrek 2 probably sold more tickets than The Dark Knight due to Shrek 2 being a family movie.

It definitely did. When you take out the IMAX boost for TDK, they are very close to each other. At that point you can safely say Shrek 2 would be ahead because of the kid factor.

lolAlways like that...Now that TA is in TOP3, the admission talk explodes everywhere.Records are always evolving...Don't spoil TA's moment!

LolMy admissions talk isn't about TA. I have no problem with that monster. Mine is MIB3. SWATH is easily more impressive. Will sell loads more tickets. And well see that reflected in DVD sales.

LolMy admissions talk isn't about TA. I have no problem with that monster. Mine is MIB3. SWATH is easily more impressive. Will sell loads more tickets. And well see that reflected in DVD sales.

Have you seen MIB3?

The only thing I will add to this tickets sold vs dollars argument that is pro tickets sold is that the movie business seems to be the only one that tracks/reports dollars rather than sales...music, videogames, sporting events, etc, are always copies sold, or tickets sold, etc.

• Like 1