Totem

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey OS Thread: OVER 1B WW!

I have no breakdown. I don't know what is a good number for some major markets, but 1B is happening. It is the event the world has been waiting for. Especially OS.

I feel like you. This the movie event of the year OS, but to reach 1 billion it is needed nearly every market make enormous numbers. And even with that, there can be some external factor that can affect negatively to somes grosses like, for instance, Chinese schedule: it seems Hobbit and Skyfall will be released in the same week. It will cut some potential in China, maybe 50 million. That amount of money is not easy to recover with other markets ;)

I feel like you. This the movie event of the year OS, but to reach 1 billion it is needed nearly every market make enormous numbers. And even with that, there can be some external factor that can affect negatively to somes grosses like, for instance, Chinese schedule: it seems Hobbit and Skyfall will be released in the same week. It will cut some potential in China, maybe 50 million. That amount of money is not easy to recover with other markets ;)

Are you still confident? I know you are interested a lot in The Hobbit OS!

Are you still confident? I know you are interested a lot in The Hobbit OS!

Well, I like to follow OS numbers in general. I find very interesting to compare different movies in several markets, beyond DOM behaviour. But in this case the interest is quite higher given that we are talking about my favorite book when I was child (even more than LOTR). I had not Internet access when LOTR movies were released and I could not follow the OS evolution as well as now. During these years I have been speculating how much would gross a TH movie. Beyond the movie excitation, next weeks will be like being in Disneyworld for me :)I am still confident of 1 billion, but I recognize that Chinese schedule is a big problem. There is not a market that can drop a 50% from initial predictions just for the schedule like China. And China could have been the biggest OS market, so the gross drop expected is not small. Recovering what China will not gross will be tough, although not impossible ;)

1 billion OS is not impossible but far from locked, in fact unprobable. It needs more than just expanding markets to reach it. Both Fellowship and Two Towers were below 600mil; RotK's number was inflated by a weak dollar and still was only 750mil. And there's nothing in the reviews so far that makes me believe The Hobbit can expand its audience from LotR.