Totem

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey OS Thread: OVER 1B WW!

As far as I know, The Hobbit was budgeted at 500mil US$ for 2 films. Now we may safely add 100mil for the third because of post and additional shoots and FX which would put the trilogy at 600mil or about 200mil for each film. The shooting was completely on schedule, the original budget also had some pickup shots for 2013 but those will be expanded to about 12 weeks as PJ mentioned at Austin (that's longer than many features take for principal shooting).Now add to those 600mil about 100mil or more for marketing per film and you're at nearly 1billion US$ or even higher - but remember, that's for 3 films. So we can safely assume that "The Hobbit" is not a flop, it will even make its money back during its theatrical run which is a rare thing for big-budgeted films like this.

We'll have to wait for the 2nd weekend for a realistic look; H1 opens 1 week earlier than the LotR-films and has no holidays atm. Even today (Fri), the 8pm HFR show has 5x the presales of the 4pm HFR show - everybody's in school, working or shopping. Sat 3pm HFR has more than double the presales than Fri4pm.At my show reactions were very positive, I think it will get good WOM, but if it can manage a multiplier >5 remains to be seen.

• Like 1